Fibrogastroduodenoscopy (FGDS) is a procedure aimed at examining the stomach, as a result of which it is possible not only to thoroughly check the condition of the mucous membrane, but also to establish the acidity of the stomach, or to examine the duodenum. The latter distinguishes FGDs from FGS. The procedure is extremely unpleasant, so it is recommended to prepare for it diligently, so that all the torment was not in vain.
How to prepare for gastroscopy of the stomach?
The most important rule in preparing for FGDs of the stomach is the lack of food in it. This is due to the algorithm of actions taken by a specialist, as a result of which the body produces a defensive reaction - from simple pains in the epigastric region to reflux or complete nausea and vomiting. In addition, it is difficult to assess the condition of the walls and the bottom, if they are covered with something. The same applies to determining the level of acidity, which may be situationally caused by the use of a product, which makes the result unreliable.
- The FGS and FGDs procedure is performed only on an empty stomach, even if it is prescribed for the afternoon. In various sources it can be said that it is enough not to take anything in the mouth for 8 or 10 hours, but this is not quite a reasonable requirement: such a period of time is not enough, and you must wait at least 12 hours.
- Liquid allowed, if it is water or tea (not strong), however no later than 2 hours before the procedure. Optimally - wait for 3-4 hours, so that the stomach is not only emptied, but also rested. Moreover, if water is consumed in the morning, it is drunk in small sips - this will save the stomach from overload.
- Regardless of the time of the procedure (morning, afternoon or evening), dinner of the previous day should not be later than at 20:00. This is due to the need for prolonged abstinence from food, and the requirement to protect the stomach from evening overload. In addition, at night, the processes slow down, and food is digested much longer than that eaten in the morning or afternoon.
Since FGDs is often a component of a large complex of examinations of the digestive system organs, it can be performed on the same day as an abdominal ultrasound scan: this will not affect the results, and preparation for them is usually identical.
- Brushing your teeth in the morning before gastroscopy is not prohibited: in fact, among the prohibitions is only what causes food to enter the stomach, forcing it to be included in the work, as well as filling it.
As for a certain diet - preparation of gastric kastroscopy does not mean it, however, doctors strongly recommend to have dinner (the day before the procedure) with light dishes: low-fat steamed fish, chicken fillet, buckwheat porridge. Vegetables are not recommended, and meat (diet) is desirable to boil or stew, refusing even from baking in foil. If desired, it can be put out in water.
What to take with a gastroscopy?
In addition to the fact that you prepare your stomach for the procedure, it is important to collect all the documents and things, as well as to pick up loose clothing.
- Do not use perfume water, as well as cologne. This can aggravate both your condition in the process of gastroscopy, and the condition of those who will be in line with you.
- Remove belts, chains and dentures. In addition, it is recommended to unbutton the collar of the blouse, if possible, to facilitate breathing.
- An outpatient map, referral, shoe covers, sterile gloves and a towel may be needed to complete a gastroscopy at a municipal office. In a private clinic is often enough directions. It is advisable to have the results of previous surveys, if they were conducted.
If the procedure is scheduled for a specific time, and there is no need to wait for your turn, come in 5-10 minutes. until the specified time. Firstly, it will allow you to mentally tune in to the procedure and relax. Secondly, often doctors (especially in municipal clinics) do local anesthesia by means of an aerosol, and he needs time to act.
How to determine the acidity of the stomach without gastroscopy?
Due to a number of contraindications to FGDs, as well as extreme painfulness of the procedure (as well as the likelihood of increased sensitivity of the body), patients often wonder if it is possible to get at least part of the answers to the questions without undergoing gastroscopy. Especially it concerns the acidity of the stomach.
- It is impossible to determine the exact value without FGDs, but it is possible to understand in which direction the scales tend to be, if the acidity is pronounced. Or a variant of the acid test is possible, which is carried out through the collection of urine, but it is not done in the municipal polyclinics.
- Reduced acidity of the stomach is usually characterized by reflux with a "rotten" smell and taste of iron in the mouth. Increased - frequent heartburn, especially when eating food with spices, reflux with a sense of sour taste.
But still the most reliable result on the pH of the stomach can only give FGS or FGDS.
When preparing for gastroscopy, do not forget that in addition to abstaining from food, it is important to morally tune in to the procedure - this will reduce the discomfort from it.