Perhaps today it is difficult to find at least one person who has not encountered the procedure of injecting intramuscularly. Both adults and children are afraid of injections, due to the nature of this procedure. Agree, not too nice when the surface layer of the skin and muscle tissue pierced by a needle. And if the introduction of the drug delivers pain, then at all, we no longer want to expose ourselves to such procedures. To make the injection almost painless, you need to know not only the features of the anatomical structure, but also to follow some rules. If you do not know how to make injections in the buttocks for adults, read our article - in it you will find only useful and necessary information.
What syringes should be used for intramuscular injection?
If the doctor has prescribed you a treatment course that includes intramuscular injection, then you can do it at home - you can ask your relatives or friends. When there is no one there, you can make an injection yourself. Do not try to master the technique of intravenous injection by yourself. Such manipulations should be carried out only by a specialist in a hospital. Incorrectly administered intravenous injections can provoke the development of complicated consequences and a number of pathologies.
Most often, injections used for intramuscular administration are given to the gluteus muscle. In order for the medication to quickly resolve and spread through the muscle fibers, syringes with a thin but long needle should be selected for injections. It is best to use syringes nominal in 5 cubes. Here, special attention should be paid to the dosage of the drug: if it is more than 5 cubes, then you need to select the appropriate syringe.
Syringes with a nominal volume of 2 cubes are best not to be used for intramuscular injections. In such syringes, as a rule, a thin, but very short needle. When fully inserted into the buttock, it will not reach the desired level of muscle tissue. In this case, the medicine will simply leak under the skin and hematoma or inflammation may occur.
If you decide to inject intramuscular injections yourself, be sure to consult your healthcare professional. During the prescription of pharmacological drugs, he will advise which syringes to choose.
What is required for the injection?
In this article we consider the main aspects of the manipulation at home. Before you make an injection, you need to prepare the necessary tools and materials. You will need:
- horizontal surface (sofa, bed, couch);
- hand antiseptic or toilet soap;
- alcohol or solution for disinfecting hands, ampoules, needles;
- cotton pads;
- pharmacological drug (drug ampoule);
- special file for opening the ampoule;
The syringe must be sealed, as these instruments are intended for single use only. In no case do not use the needle twice - this can provoke the development of inflammatory or infectious diseases. Alcohol solution is necessary for disinfecting the ampoule, needle and syringe.
Cotton pads wipe the surface of the buttocks before and after manipulation. The person to whom you will be given an injection is best placed on a flat horizontal surface so that he can relax as much as possible. In this case, the injection will be made almost painless.
How to make injections intramuscularly?
Women and men need to make injections in a buttock only during certain time. As practice shows, when prescribing injection drugs, the attending specialist clearly prescribes the time of their administration. Depending on the disease and type of injection, injections should be done 1, 2 or even 3 times a day. Before we consider the instructions for performing such a manipulation, let's examine what preparatory actions need to be performed:
- Prepare all the necessary tools to perform the manipulation.
- Do not skip any disinfection measures. Be sure to disinfect your hands as well as the skin on the patient's buttock.
- Determine the right place for the injection to avoid the needle falling into the blood vessels or nerves.
- The syringe should be removed from the packaging only after disinfecting the hands and the ampoule with the medicine.
- Oil-based pharmacological preparations must first be heated to the temperature of the human body. To do this, give the ampoule to the patient, and let him hold it in his hand for 5-10 minutes.
Now let's look at how to correctly determine the area of the injection:
- look at a person’s buttock and conditionally divide it into equal four parts, visually draw two perpendicular lines;
- in no case should injections be made close to the spine, that is, to the central part of the buttock;
- injections should be given in the upper right square;
- make sure that there is no obvious damage on the skin.
Once you have mastered these simple rules, you can proceed to the very manipulation. Let's take a step-by-step look at how to do injections into the gluteal muscle:
- Suggest to the person to lie down comfortably on a horizontal surface in the "lying on his stomach" position.
- Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and wipe them with an alcohol solution. Rubber gloves can be worn for greater confidence and safety.
- Then apply a little alcohol solution to a cotton pad and wipe the surface of the ampoule with it.
- Using a special file, process the edge of the ampoule along the line and break it off. Do this carefully so as not to crush the ampoule.
- Then remove the syringe from the packaging and process the needle with an alcohol solution.
- Dial an injection into the syringe. Shake the syringe and lift it up with the needle. Now lightly push the piston to remove excess air. Injecting drops should appear at the tip of the needle.
- Wipe with a cotton swab moistened in alcohol solution, the skin on the buttock.
- With your free hand, stretch the skin, and the other - enter the needle smoothly.
- The needle should enter into the buttock no less than 2/3 of the part or the whole.
- The drug must be administered smoothly.
- With a sharp movement you need to remove the needle from the gluteus maximus muscle.
- Wipe the injection site with an alcohol solution and gently massage to avoid the appearance of inflammation or hematoma.
- If the treatment involves several intramuscular injections, it is better to alternately change the injection site, that is, to insert the needle into another buttock.
Many people wonder how to make hip shots to themselves. You perform all the actions similarly, only you will need to do an injection while standing or sitting.
Possible force majeure during the injection and exits from them
In case of improper manipulation, force majeure situations can occur, in particular:
- hematoma or inflammation;
- numbness of the limb;
- leaving a whole needle or part of it in the gluteus muscle.
If the limb begins to go numb, therefore, during the injection you touched a nerve with a needle, most likely, the sciatic. Try to thoroughly massage the injection site. Hematomas and inflammations are caused by the use of a short needle or by falling into the blood vessels. Often, such consequences disappear independently over time, but nevertheless the practice knows cases when inflammations were eliminated only by surgical intervention.
It is extremely rare that the needle broke during the injection and stayed in the gluteus muscle. If such an incident happened to you, first of all pull yourself together and ask the patient not to move. You will not be able to remove the fragment of the needle yourself, so you should immediately contact your healthcare professional.
If you master the basic rules and techniques for performing injections, you will be able to carry out such manipulations as well as a qualified nurse. Do not forget about sterility and sequence of actions. Be healthy!