Onychomycosis is transmitted not only when personal hygiene is violated: contact with someone else's shoes, towels, etc. The development of bacteria occurs in a confined space with high humidity. Since it is unlikely that all factors can be eliminated, everyone has a risk of picking up a fungal pathogen, but not everyone is able to recognize it on time, as a result of which it is necessary to deal with severe forms of the disease. How to recognize the "enemy" in the face and how to deal with it?
Nail fungus: symptoms of a problem
It is worth thinking about whether fungal bacteria have started their livelihoods if the following deviations are noticed on your nails:
- A change in the color of the nail plate (often yellowing, but a milky white shade may be acquired);
- Deformation of the nail plate (waves, bending);
- A change in structure (usually a draining effect, due to which the nail breaks, crumbles).
At the initial stage, the symptoms appear singly, but in the neglected state they are present at the same time and sometimes accompanied by an unpleasant odor, knocked out among others. Some forms of the fungus develop very slowly, and for several years you can not have any hints of the appearance of the problem. For this reason, it is recommended to check once a quarter:
- Dilute weakly concentrated potassium permanganate in water, dip your feet in it for 30-40 seconds, then look at the color of the nail plate: its lightening signals the appearance of fungal pathogens, while brown plaque is a sign of a healthy nail.
The forms of the disease are far from 10 or even 100, so there is no point in listing them all. The treatment is made outwardly the same for everyone, and the doctor must offer the internal one.
How is the treatment of the neglected form of nail fungus at home?
All ways to eliminate this problem are divided into 3 categories: surgical (cosmetology) intervention, pharmaceutical preparations and traditional medicine. At home, only the last 2 options are available, but often they are sufficient even in the most severe stage of fungal growth, so the need for laser removal usually occurs only when the nail begins to grow into the skin.
- Pharmaceutical preparations, in turn, are divided into 2 groups: internal and external use. The latter are considered safer since they do not affect the internal systems and work locally, however, tablets may appear to be necessary if other methods fail, or if the lesion has covered a large area. But the appointment of these funds should come from the doctor.
- Preparations for external use can be presented in the format of lacquer (only for the nail plate), spray or solution (mild form of the disease), cream or ointment (nail plate and the skin around). Most of these tools are based on cyclopirox, their use should be short-lived, so that the bacteria do not develop immunity. If therapy has no effect in 4-5 days, it should be stopped and the search for an alternative should begin.
As for pharmaceuticals, with high accuracy to select the most effective of them is very difficult. However, it is possible to focus on those that have been tested by time and a large number of consumers - these are Zoloid, Nizoral, Lamisil and Exoderil.
Alla: I discovered the fungus rather late - or rather, I recognized it late: when, after half a year, the cornified plate did not change to a healthy one. Treatment, of course, already required serious: first tried on the advice of a friend "Loceril" lacquer (applied as usual nail polish, but it is layered daily as it is absorbed), but did not see the effect even after a week. I went to a doctor and, on his recommendation, bought Lamisil ointment. The process went faster: smeared almost every 3-4 hours, in 4 days I got rid of the fungus completely.
Regina: How many ads on Exoderil were there, as his doctor praised me for me, but I still did not understand where the promised effect was. Smeared, smeared, eventually returned to the grandmother's method: she hooked a piece of Kombucha onto her nail, wrapped it in cellophane, and left it for the night. And so 2 times: I forgot about the fungus in general. In addition to the classical pharmacy tools, there is also a niche of traditional medicine, where the number of methods to combat nail fungus, even with neglected forms, is growing day by day. The most effective, according to reviews about the treatment of the neglected form of the nail fungus, are vinegar, iodine, hydrogen peroxide, juice of any citrus (especially lemon) and horseradish, Kombucha. You can also resort to simple ointments - zinc, salicylic.
Will hydrogen peroxide help?
A great deal is said about the miraculous antibacterial properties of hydrogen peroxide: for whatever purpose it is used, and everywhere it manifests itself in the best way. The ability to cure a fungal infection with this remedy was voiced by Professor Neumyvakin, and after hundreds and thousands of people confirmed his words: where even expensive medical preparations fail, it is easy for a penny bottle to triumph. How to use it when the form of nail fungus is running?
- Before starting the treatment, steam out the feet in hot water: the duration of the procedure does not play a role - it is important to soften the skin and remove as much as possible all the fungal formations from it and from the nail plate without creating injuries. Nails cannot be cut, and for cutting it is recommended to use a disposable blade: it is not safe to use it again, especially in a healthy area.
- Take a cotton pad, cut it into pieces, the area of which is slightly larger than the area affected, and soak it with hydrogen peroxide. Make a compress, fix it with a wide bandage or patch, hold for at least 1-2 hours. If possible, repeat several times a day.
- To preserve moisture under a compress it is covered with cellophane. You can also just soak the disc, dripping on top of it, while it lies on the nail.
- To achieve the maximum effect, the course must be extended for 10-14 days, the procedure is carried out daily. Hydrogen peroxide is recommended to be used in a concentration of 3-5%.
Due to the fact that the drug is somewhat aggressive, perhaps a burning sensation, stinging and even pain. When these symptoms appear, the compress should be removed, and the treated area should be washed with clean water, after which a different treatment method should be selected.
Separately, I would like to note that greater performance can be achieved by using peroxide not solo, but in tandem with other disinfectants: for example, with vinegar (3-5%) or with baking soda. These compositions are also soaked with pieces of cotton, after which compresses are applied. In this case, therapy is carried out for 3-4 days, which is enough to destroy fungal pathogens.
Vinegar as an agent for the control of fungal pathogens has been used for a long time: its availability, safety and efficacy, based on the intolerance of the fungal bacteria in an acidic environment, are attractive. In addition, the vinegar removes the unpleasant smell of sweat, but it is important to understand that such treatment will not be an obstacle to the new wave of fungal formations, so after the treatment, it is necessary to take appropriate protective measures. There are some nuances in this technique. How to properly treat nail fungus with vinegar?
- Steam your feet in hot water (you can add soda to it), rub the foot and the sides of your fingers with pumice stone, cut off the areas affected by fungus, be sure to touch the skin next to them.
- In warm water, dilute some vinegar (recommended ratio of 8: 1 for women and 4: 1 for men), varying in thickness of the nail, fill this small bowl with this liquid.
- Immerse the foot in the solution, hold for 5-10 minutes, then rub your fingers and nail plate. It is necessary to repeat the procedure every other day, for 14 days.
- An important point is that vinegar is used in low concentration: 9-10%, but the basis of its role does not play: it can be either table, or apple or wine.
There is another variant of acetic therapy, implying the imposition of a compress on the affected area. The course is much shorter - only 4-5 procedures, carried out in a day or a little less: it depends on the sensations. It is worth noting that during the treatment, a sensation of burning or dryness may occur.
- Break the chicken egg in a glass bowl, leave only the protein. Add sunflower or olive oil and vinegar essence (70%). On 1 egg it is necessary on 1-1 / 2 ch.l. vinegar and oil, depending on sensitivity.
- Treat the resulting mass of fungus, put a thick piece of gauze on top, cover with plastic bag or wrap with cling film. It is advisable to wear socks on your feet so that they can prevent the compress from slipping.
This procedure is recommended to spend at night: 8-10 hours will be enough money to act. In the morning, wash it off with warm water. If necessary, vegetable oil can be replaced with cream - it will not affect the effectiveness.
Summarizing the above, it should be noted that when a fungus appears, it is advisable to take care not only of timely treatment, but also of preventing relapse. For this reason, it is required to get rid of the things with which the affected area came into contact, or to treat them with the same means that were used for therapy, and also to take care of observing the rules of onychomycosis prevention.