Dry cough gives a lot of inconvenience. Some people believe that treating such a cough is impractical because it will pass by itself. However, in this case, the process threatens to drag on and lead to complications in the respiratory system. Pharmacies sell dry cough syrups and tablets, which one is preferred for best results?
Dry cough: is there any cause for concern?
Dry cough may occur due to various reasons:
- The desire of the body to get rid of the irritant factor (defense mechanism);
- Allergen reaction;
- Neoplasms in the bronchi or lungs, causing a violation of the flow of air into the lungs;
- Exposure to medication (eg, hypertensive)
Without knowing the exact cause of cough, it is difficult to correctly cure a symptom. In pharmacies, there are many drugs for adults and children, designed to get rid of dry cough, hype gives your advice. However, the most appropriate solution would be to contact a doctor, especially if the cough lasts long enough.
The main groups of drugs for dry cough
- Drugs that affect the cough center in the brain, such drugs suppress the symptom at the level of reflexes;
- Antispasmodic drugs that relieve contractions of the muscles and bronchial mucosa;
- Medications that dilute pulmonary sputum and facilitate its easy discharge. As a result of taking these drugs, dry cough turns into a wet
Medicines for children and adults
- Codeine - suppresses cough at the level of reflexes, a natural narcotic drug. It has an analgesic effect. It is used in complex therapy for severe pain, children under 2 years of age are not recommended, as is the drug for self-treatment;
- Kodipront - removes the excitability of the cough center, has antihistamine effect. It has a long-lasting effect on cough suppression, the effect lasts up to 12 hours. Kodipront and similar drugs should be taken only as prescribed by a doctor.
Antitussive drugs that do not have a narcotic effect
- Glauvent is used for dry cough of various origins. These tablets are designed for dry cough for children from 4 years old. This drug is characterized by excellent tolerability and a minimum of possible side effects. Parents who choose glauvent as an antitussive drug for their child, it is very important to closely monitor the nature of cough, to stop treatment as soon as it becomes productive. When cough is wet, glauvent can lead to obstruction of the bronchi and lungs.
- If inflammation occurs in the upper respiratory tract, tusuprex may be recommended as a remedy for dry cough in children older than one year. This drug has a weak bronchodilator effect and, unlike drugs of the first subgroup, is not addictive.
- Reduce cough and work directly on the cough center good dry cough pills called paxeladine. It is used not only to combat non-productive cough, but also to relieve irritation from the respiratory tract mucosa, to prevent spastic attacks. Pakseladin is well tolerated by patients, the course of treatment is three days.
Drugs that affect the nerve endings of the bronchi and lungs
- Libexin - dry cough tablets for adults and children. They have a slight anesthetic effect, reduce receptor irritation in the airways, expand the bronchi, slightly affect the cough center in the brain, without causing dependence. Cases of drug overdose during clinical trials have not been recorded, the drug is well tolerated.
A group of drugs that have antispasmodic, bronchodilator, anti-inflammatory action, thinning sputum and reduce cough.-
- Stoptusin dilutes the sputum in the respiratory tract, contributing to its discharge, while blocking the cough center in the medulla. The drug is well tolerated by patients, therefore, is prescribed from an early age.
- The antitussive drugs prescribed for dry cough, including whooping cough, include butamirate. For children over 6 years old and adults, medicine is available in tablets. The drug has a central effect on the cough center, as well as local, removing irritation in the bronchi, expanding them and releasing from sputum. Butamirate, as an active substance, contains tablets for dry cough omnitus.
- When dry cough in the complex therapy, hexapneumine is prescribed, it has an antimicrobial effect, narrows blood vessels, relieves swelling of the upper respiratory tract.
The choice of drugs for dry cough is very diverse. Some of them are contraindicated in children, pregnant and lactating women. In order for the therapy to be productive and not harmful, you should consult your doctor for prescribing drugs. Based on the results of the examination, patient interview, tests and examinations, the doctor will make a plan of the most optimal therapy.
Most antitussive drugs are well tolerated by patients, including children. Clinical studies to which drugs are exposed make it possible to clearly outline the range of possible side effects and to minimize their appearance. When choosing a medicine for dry cough for children, you should contact your pediatrician.
The main purpose of dry cough pills is to translate a non-productive irritating symptom into a productive one - a moist one. And then save the respiratory tract from viscous sputum. Combined drugs that have a complex effect on the body, will help you quickly return to the usual way of life.