Tomato is one of the most popular vegetables at present. For a long time he was considered poisonous and tried to poison his enemies with his help. Therefore, for a long time in some countries, the tomato was considered a forbidden vegetable. For Russia, Catherine the Great discovered tomato, and its mass distribution in agriculture began in the 19th century. Now tomatoes are widely used in cooking and cosmetology.
Tomatoes: Useful Properties
Useful properties of tomatoes are difficult to overestimate. They contain a large amount of vitamins, as A, B, B2, B6, K, PP, E, minerals and microelements. They contain glucose, magnesium, zinc, manganese, iron, iodine, fructose and sodium. The rich nutritional composition of vegetables is not the only advantage of tomatoes. They contain antioxidants, so they fight cancer and help maintain the cardiovascular system.
Tomatoes are very appreciated by girls for the fact that they preserve youth and beauty. Thanks to the substance lycopene, the vegetable protects the healthy cells of the body from decay and destroys the sick. Since ancient times, tomatoes are used in traditional medicine. In particular, as a diuretic, with disorders of the nervous system and metabolism. Thanks to serotonin, these vegetables elevate mood, give energy and vigor. Phytoncides contained in tomatoes make them antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
Lovers of tomato juice will be particularly interested to know that it fills the body with sodium, iron and potassium. This juice is useful for people with diabetes, it helps with gastrointestinal diseases and constipation, which are frequent companions of diseases of the stomach and duodenum.
Tomatoes are a very low-calorie product. 100 g of tomatoes contain only 23 kcal. Due to the low calorie content of these vegetables form the basis of many diets.
The use of fresh tomatoes in cosmetology
Fresh tomatoes are often used in home cosmetology.
- To clear the face of white eels, you can wipe it with fresh tomato juice or apply slices of tomato. For the treatment of acne helps a mixture of tomato juice and glycerin.
- For oily skin, a mask with a nourishing cream and slices of ripe tomato helps. To perform this procedure, wash your face thoroughly with hot water and soap, smear with a thin layer of nourishing cream and apply thin slices of tomato on top. Cover the face with gauze, and after half an hour, wipe the face with a cotton swab dipped in cool water.
- Pound 1 tomato with 2 tbsp. l fresh cottage cheese, 1 tbsp. Milk and 1 tbsp. sunflower oil. Mix to a uniform consistency, add a small amount of salt and apply on face for 20 minutes. The mask is washed off with warm water. It tones and invigorates the skin.
- Tomato gruel can lubricate the hair roots to stimulate their growth.
- To care for rough skin, elbows and heels are advised to make compresses from fresh tomatoes. After such procedures, the skin becomes softer, the horny areas disappear.
How many calories in cherry tomatoes?
The energy value of cherry tomatoes is only 15 kcal per 100 g. Of them, you can cook a large number of tasty and healthy dishes, in particular salads.-
Rice noodle and cherry salad
- Canned champignons - 1 can
- Cherry tomatoes - 15 pcs.
- Broccoli (frozen) - 500 g
- Rice noodles - 250 g
- Sunflower oil - for frying
- Olive oil - for refueling
- Soy sauce - to taste
- Sesame seeds - to taste
- Cook rice noodles, fold in a colander and rinse with cold water. Cherry tomatoes cut into quarters.
- Throw broccoli in boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain in a colander, pour over cold water and leave to drain for a few minutes.
- Fry canned champignons in sunflower oil, cool and cut into 4 parts.
- Mix all the ingredients in a deep salad bowl, season the salad with soy sauce and olive oil. Sprinkle the ready dish with sesame seeds and serve.
Goat Cheese and Figs Salad
- Ham - 150 g
- Figs - 4 pcs.
- Cherry tomatoes - 15 pcs.
- Olives - 1 can
- Goat cheese - 150 g
- Arugula - 150 g
- Red onion - 1 pc.
- Olive oil - 7 tbsp.
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 tbsp.
- Salt and white pepper - to taste
- Cut ham into slices, fry in a pan. Figs cut into slices, onions - thin rings, cherry - quarters.
- Stir in the salad bowl roasted ham, arugula leaves and figs. Add onions, tomatoes, olives and grated goat cheese.
- Season the salad with a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Marinated and salted tomatoes: calorie
In pickled, as well as in salt, per 100 g accounts for only 15 kcal. Many add salted tomatoes to soups, roasts and sauces.
Salted Tomato Soup
- Chicken thighs - 2 pcs.
- Pork on the bone - 300 g
- Potatoes - 4 pcs.
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- Carrots - 2 pcs.
- Salted tomatoes - 4pcs.
- Red pepper and salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
- Rinse the pork and chicken thighs and cover with water. Add the peeled onion to the pan to the meat, put the pan on medium heat. After about 20 minutes, add salt to the broth, add bay leaf. At the end of cooking, remove the meat, cut into small pieces and set aside.
- Peel the potatoes, cut into strips and toss in the pan with the broth. Cook for about 15 minutes. Cut carrots into thin pieces or grate on a coarse grater. The remaining onion cut into half rings. Fry the vegetables in vegetable oil, salt and pepper.
- Remove peel from salted tomatoes, cut them into slices and add to carrots and onions in a frying pan. Pour a little broth into the pan, close the lid and simmer them on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Then add 1 tbsp. sugar, mix and transfer to the pan with broth. Bring to a boil, turn off the heat, cover with a lid and let it brew for 20 minutes. At the end of cooking do not forget to add pieces of boiled meat.
- Ready soup is served hot, sprinkled with chopped greens, seasoned with sour cream or mayonnaise.
Despite the fact that tomatoes appeared relatively recently in our country, they occupy leading positions among other types of vegetables. This is due to their high nutritional value, low calorie content and valuable properties. Each housewife knows many recipes, which necessarily include tomatoes. Many women use them for other purposes - for the manufacture of cosmetics for skin and hair.