Banana - the fruit is very tasty and healthy, often used in cooking, forming the basis of cold desserts and casseroles. However, its benefits, especially in relation to the figure, are actively debated. Those who keep a close eye on every piece eaten should know how many calories are per 100 grams of banana. How does the indicator vary depending on the heat treatment, how to calculate the caloric value of 1 banana without the peel, if it is not possible to use the scales.
How many calories are in bananas?
The energy value of this fruit, of course, depends on the form in which you use it, but, in addition, it is necessary to take into account the variety: for example, green bananas, which are used for frying, weigh as much as 137 kcal, and red ones pull by kcal At the same time, green bananas are considered more useful and more nutritious than yellow and red. How are things with calorie more familiar species in our region?
- The easiest will certainly be a fresh banana: 100 g only 84 kcal (some sources indicate 95 kcal), in which 21.8 g of carbohydrates, as much as 1.5 g of proteins and only 0.8 g of fat.
As you can see, the numbers are not so big, especially when compared with harmful sweets, which this fruit can easily replace. Where, then, "grow legs" in ban on bananas while losing weight? Everything is quite simple: high levels of glycemic index and level of starch, which turns into sugar, require caution. But, at the same time, bananas are an excellent source of protein, therefore, subject to certain rules, which will be discussed later, they can and should even be included in the diet of a person who is keeping an eye on his figure.
- How to determine how many calories in 1 banana, if you can not just weigh it? A large fruit (standard for size sold in ordinary supermarkets) draws about 180 g, of which about 25-30 g takes the weight of the peel and the stem. Thus, 1 peeled banana weighs about 150 g, which is 130-135 kcal.
- Separately, there should be mini-bananas, which are brought from Thailand. In comparison with the usual, they are sweeter and more fragrant, and may also have a different color of the skin - green or even red. The caloric value of 100 g of this fruit is 90 kcal, but at the same time 1 pc. no peel weighs less than 70 g.
As for the heat treatment of a banana, then with ordinary heating (for example, you decided to bake it), it almost does not change, unless you add sugar or vegetable fat. But the prolonged exposure to high temperatures removes water from the fruit, leaving only starch and sugar, as a result of which its “weight” increases significantly.
- In dried bananas, 390 kcal, while carbohydrates are already 80.5 g, and proteins - 3.9 g. The proportion of fat increases slightly: only up to 1.8 g.
True, it is worthwhile to pay tribute to such a product: most of the beneficial properties remain with it, therefore, as a snack with strong hunger or the need to fill the carbohydrate deficiency, eat a small portion (10-20 g) of dried bananas is not forbidden.
There are also such varieties of bananas that require mandatory heat treatment, because raw may be toxic to the body. These are plane trees (or plantains) that are very large in size - they cannot be confused with the usual banana. Before use, they are most often fried and in some countries they are replaced by potatoes. Under the sugar-cinnamon crust, they may well become a good dessert that tastes like fritters. The calorie content of fried bananas depends on the amount of oil you use: with a normal volume (2-3 tablespoons per pan) 100 g will weigh 348 kcal.
Useful properties of bananas
To understand whether it makes sense to cut down your diet for the introduction of 1 banana at least sometimes, or it really is not the most necessary calories, it is worth considering the chemical composition of the product.
- 150 g of banana pulp can immediately close 20% of vitamin B6, which takes an active part in metabolic processes, as well as slightly more than 15% of ascorbic acid, 12% each and 16% of potassium and manganese, bearing considerable benefit to the heart muscle.
- Baked banana is considered a therapeutic diet, because it soothes irritated mucous membranes of the stomach and intestines, thereby relieving pain in gastritis, colitis, etc., reducing the acidity level of gastric juice.
- Banana is the only fruit that allows you to quickly increase the level of serotonin in the blood, as a result of which it is recommended to use it during prolonged depressions and under heavy loads on the nervous system.
- The high content of potassium indicates the value of the banana for the heart and blood vessels, its ability to prevent the occurrence of stroke, retain water in the tissues and the balance of electrolytes in the blood. The presence of a large proportion of iron can improve hemoglobin levels.
Of course, it should be borne in mind that the benefits of this fruit can only be talked about if it is eaten raw. Processing with hot temperatures causes the product to lose some vitamins and microelements, and in dried or fried banana there is nothing good except taste and satiety. However, of course, even with a considerable caloric content of 1 banana piece, it remains more reasonable than chips or french fries.
How to eat bananas without harm to the figure?
In open sources, sometimes you can find a categorical ban on the use of bananas, if a person wants to keep slim. In terms of caloric and glycemic index of this product, indeed, in these words there is some truth. However, the principles of healthy eating allow you to include in the diet of any vegetable food - the main thing is to do it with the mind.
- If you want to eat a banana, do it in the morning, for example, mixing it with porridge or cottage cheese. So you will achieve maximum nutritional value from breakfast, and you will not need to add sugar or other sweeteners to the dish. At the same time, you will receive your dose of sugar and carbohydrates, which are necessary at the beginning of the working or school day for mental activity.
- Cook on the basis of bananas smoothies: this is a great option for a hearty and not very heavy snack. For example, mash a banana with 2 tbsp. natural yogurt and kiwi: the calorie content of the resulting dish will be only 190-200 kcal (with a weight of 1 banana without a peel at 150 g).
- If you lead an active lifestyle, eat this fruit 1-1.5 hours after exercise. This will make it possible to replenish glucose reserves, as well as reduce the severity of muscle pain, as it will speed up the process of microtrauma recovery. For those who work in the hall for endurance, even the use of a banana before training for 30-40 minutes is allowed.
It is worth emphasizing that the banana is recommended to be taken as a healthy dessert, and not the vegetable food that is allowed in large quantities, even with the most strict diet. This fruit, of course, brings considerable benefits to the body, but a day is better not to use more than 1 banana, so as not to cause active sugar jumps, especially in diabetes.