High fever is a symptom that accompanies many diseases. Of course, it's not right to fight not with her, but to treat the cause that caused her. But sometimes the circumstances are such that it is necessary to bring down the temperature at home. What methods and medicines will help to do this quickly, and most importantly - safely? And when is it really necessary to give antipyretic?
Cardinal home rescue measures for fever - medication
In search of an emergency answer to the question of how to quickly bring down the temperature at home, many people choose drugs. They act faster than folk methods, and you don’t have to mess with cooking your decoctions. Although the drugs cannot be called absolutely harmless to the body, this method of lowering the temperature can be applied to an adult healthy person.
Medications that will help reduce fever at home are divided into 2 groups:
- drugs, the action of which is aimed directly at reducing the temperature. The most popular medicine in this series is paracetamol (Panadol, Efferalgan). It is even suitable for the treatment of pregnant women and children. This is a one-component drug with a high antipyretic and analgesic effect. He knocks down the temperature gradually and for a long time. Take it on 1 tablet every 6 hours. How can you bring down the temperature at home, if this medicine has not coped with such a task? The second most popular antipyretic drug is Ibuprofen. It not only relieves fever, but also has an anti-inflammatory effect;
- medications that help improve the overall condition of the patient. These include antispasmodics (No-shpa, Papaverin, Dibazol) and antihistamines (Suprastin).
For antipyretic, which is now often used to self-control temperature, include multi-component drugs - Coldflux, Coldrex, Theraflu. They are quite effective, but have a more aggressive effect on the body.
How to bring down the temperature of 39 at home, if you can not swallow a pill because of vomiting? In this case, you can use rectal suppositories. These include Analdim, Viburkol, Viferon, Voltaren (6 years), Ibuprofen, Paracetamol. Suppositories are especially indicated for babies who refuse to swallow tablets. If there are no candles, then you can simply crush the paracetamol tablet, dilute it with water and make an enema.
If all of these drugs are powerless, the temperature is rapidly approaching 40˚, and it is impossible to call an ambulance for any reason, then the most radical method can be used - it is an intramuscular injection of analginum with dimedrol and papaverine. Adult use 1 ampoule of each drug. Dosage for young children is 0.1 ml for 1 year of life.
Analgin and aspirin to reduce the temperature is better not to use, since these drugs can cause dangerous side effects. One of them is a gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer.
Gentle ways to reduce the temperature - popular recipes
It is not always possible (and willing) to use drugs to reduce fever. For example, if a small baby or a pregnant woman is sick, it is better to try to alleviate their condition with safe means at hand.
How to bring down the heat at home, without resorting to medication? You can use these proven methods:
- give suicide teas and drinks to the patient. They are made from honey and berries containing vitamin C. The highest antipyretic effect is provided with a decoction of chamomile (3 tablespoons of flowers, pour 200 ml of hot boiled water, keep in a water bath for 15 minutes, cool and strain) with lemon. To bring down the temperature will help drink, which includes cranberries and lingonberries, tea with viburnum, broth hips or elderberry;
- the patient must drink a lot. Compote, berry juice, green tea will do;
- very effective antipyretic agent - hypertonic solution. For children under 14 years old, it is prepared in the following proportions: 1-2 tsp. salt to 200 ml of water. The components are mixed and allowed to drink to the patient. Babies under 6 months old need 30-50 ml. Children under 1.5 years old - no more than 10 ml, 2–3 year old babies 200 ml, preschoolers 300 ml. Adolescents and adults for the preparation of a solution take 1-2 tablespoons. salt per 1 liter of warm water and give in the amount of 700 ml;
- antipyretic composition can be prepared from linden flowers. To do this, take 20 g of dried flowers, pour 200 g of boiling water, insist 20 minutes. The use of such tea will cause perspiration, and the mercury column will show a lower temperature;
- rubbing apple cider vinegar is one of the most effective ways to combat hyperthermia. Before wiping the patient, take 20 ml of vinegar (9%) and diluted in 500 ml of cool water. Wiping start from the back, then go to the stomach and finish the procedure with the upper and lower limbs. After that, the person must lie open for some time, or you can cover it with a light sheet. Rubdowns will give the result, if you repeat them every 3 hours. If there is no vinegar, then it can be replaced with vodka or 50% alcohol;
- compresses. The easiest option is a napkin dipped in cool water or a mint infusion. It is placed on the forehead, neck, armpits or wrists. Quickly reduces the heat of a compress from 2 tubers of raw potatoes (they should be crushed) and 20 ml of apple cider vinegar. Compress hold for 2 hours;
- cool bath. How to do this procedure? Bath filled with warm water. The patient should sit in it for 10-20 minutes (you can wipe it with a soft sponge);
- enemas. This method is useful to those who can not drink decoctions of herbs due to vomiting or diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Solution for enema is prepared from 2 tsp. salt and 1 tbsp. cool (about 18 ° C) water. You can add 12 drops of beet juice. You can also make an enema with a decoction of chamomile (the method of its preparation is described above).
What to do with the temperature if there is no medicine, no herbs?
It happens that the disease catches a man by surprise - neither antipyretic drugs, nor herbs, nor alcohol-containing compounds, nor vinegar is at hand. What to do? How to bring down the temperature of an adult at home without aids? You can use a simple step-by-step method, which can give good results in the fight against fever. It includes 7 actions.
- Strict bed rest. This will allow the body to focus on fighting the disease and give it strength.
- Drink at least 2 liters of liquid (just not coffee and not strong tea!).
- Type in cool water in plastic bottles and put it under your knees, on your wrists, on your forehead, in your armpits. Instead of bottles, you can use a rolled up towel moistened in cool water.
- Soak sheets in water, wrap yourself in it and lie down until it gets warm.
- Take a warm bath.
- Soak socks in water, put them on your feet, put dry socks on top (this method is also suitable for children).
- Remove all warm clothes (even if you feel a strong chill) and replace them with cotton pajamas.
The room must be maintained at a temperature not higher than 22˚. To reduce it, you can make airing, only the patient must go to another room for this time.
37˚, 38˚, 39˚ - when to start the measures to reduce the temperature?
An important issue is not only how to bring the temperature down at home, but also when to start such activities. An adult does not need to immediately grab the medication. It is necessary to allow immunity to fight infection. Knocking down the temperature below 38.5 degrees can only harm the body, as this will create favorable conditions for the infection to spread throughout the body.
Doctors believe that the temperature to 38.5 does not pose a threat to human life. Hasty reception of antipyretic often leads to the development of complications that will have to be treated with antibiotics.
If the patient is getting worse, and especially - convulsions begin (no matter what temperature), then you should use any means to reduce it by at least a couple of tenths of a degree.
When a temperature of 40-40.5˚ appears on the thermometer, folk methods and paracetamol will not save, it is necessary to urgently dial the emergency number.
All these rules apply to healthy people who do not suffer from chronic diseases. Some even with a slight increase in temperature begin convulsions and even fainting. Such patients should begin to lower the temperature if the thermometer indicates 37.5 °.
Care should be taken to treat hyperthermia in pregnant women. Prolonged fever and too high a temperature can adversely affect the development of the fetus, and even cause preterm labor in the 3rd trimester. Therefore, for them, the limiting indicator to which it is possible not to bring down the temperature is 38˚.
It is necessary to fight it without delay in such cases:
- if a person has heart, kidney, lung disease;
- if the patient is an infant;
- with severe headache and pain in the joints.
High temperature - it is always a signal of the body about ill health. If the home methods were effective, and the temperature has subsided, and the state has improved, then you can postpone the visit to the clinic. If hyperthermia, despite all efforts, does not pass in 3 days, then you should definitely call a doctor. Temperature is not always associated with colds and can be caused by meningitis, pneumonia and other life-threatening illnesses. In these cases, home methods are simply impossible to cure.