Much has been said about the benefits of maize, but its main advantage is “immunity” to harmful environmental factors. In other words, the cobs retain all the useful properties in full, regardless of the place of growth. And the incomparable taste of this vegetable can be revealed even more if you know how to cook corn on the cob in a saucepan.
Before you attend to the question of how to cook young corn, you need to prepare the cob, that is:
- choose heads of the same size so that they boil evenly;
- remove adjacent leaves (spoiled and dry leaves, and young and healthy leave to cook);
- immerse the cob for an hour in cold water.
How to cook corn on the cob in a pan?
The preparation time of corn cobs is dictated by its age. For the young enough half an hour. Older specimens require long boiling. But overripe need to cook an hour and a half. In any case, after the end of the recommended cooking time, grain should be periodically punctured with a fork or tried, because upon digestion, they begin to harden. It is also important in which the corn is cooked. For these purposes, it is better to use a pot with thick cast-iron walls (such as a cauldron), and cook with a tightly closed lid.
How to cook young corn?
It is unlikely that someone will resist the strong temptation to try the summer delicacy - boiled young corn. This is a kind of holiday symbol on the beach, but you can cook it in the conditions of the city.
- 4-5 corn cobs;
- 1 tbsp. l salts;
- 1 tbsp. l Sahara;
- 3 liters of water.
- In boiling water lay the cob, cover with leaves.
- After 20 minutes, add salt and add sugar.
- Cook for another 5 minutes and set aside.
- Give brew for 7-10 minutes, serve hot.
The nuances of cooking corn
Cooking corn - is simple enough. However, it can be brought to perfection - just enough to take into account a number of tips:
- cobs are laid in boiling water;
- Salt must be 5 minutes before the product is fully prepared, otherwise the corn will become tough;
- to add softness to the grain, you can throw a piece of butter during cooking;
- a pleasant sweetish tint milky taste will give sugar;
- boil cobs need a small fire;
- the finished corn treat is served hot, because after cooling it becomes hard.
How to serve boiled corn?
Cooked young corn is eaten hot. If in the process of cooking you do not salt the ears, then you can rub them with salt before use. Those who are not afraid to get better, you can grease the hot cob with butter, and then salt it. Delicious taste of corn give, grated hard cheese and sprinkled with the ears. And, of course, they benefit from the addition of various sauces to your taste, such as mustard or soy.
Which cobs are suitable for cooking?
In order not to be disappointed in the result, you need to properly select the cob. First of all, they should be young, that is, they should be collected until the middle of the last summer month. After you have to deal with overripe corn, which, after boiling turns out very tough.
Often dishonest sellers are trying to sell under the guise of food fodder varieties. To learn how to distinguish feed corn from food, pay attention to the appearance of the cobs:
- in the stern they are long and narrow, in the food they are wide and short;
- fodder grain bright, yellow, food - light yellow, pale;
- if you chew a fodder grain, it will be tasteless and dry. A grain of food - juicy, slightly sweet and soft.
Having decided on the variety, proceed to the selection of the most tasty cobs. To do this, consider:
- the appearance of the leaves (on the young corn they closely adjoin the heads);
- the density of the fit of the grains (they must be located very close to each other);
- grain roundness (the rounder the grain, the juicier the cob);
- their contents (if you split the grain of young corn, then a milky liquid will flow out - it means that in the boiled form the ear will be very juicy).
If you know how to cook corn on the cob in a pan, you can be sure that your loved ones will always be full. Complementing boiled cereal with sauces or cheese, you will get a new, original, tasty and nutritious dish every time. This is another great reason to thank Summer for his generous gifts.