Hiccup seems to us to be an innocuous reaction of the body, which occurs spontaneously and, at times, without cause. Sometimes it is. But there are times when hiccups are a symptom of certain diseases. To get rid of it, you need to know the real root cause.
How to stop hiccups: ways
Hiccup is an arbitrary spasmodic contraction of the diaphragm. When the nerve endings of the diaphragm are irritated, the brain causes it to contract quickly. The lungs suddenly suck air for us, the glottis closes. The result is a characteristic sound for hiccups.
There are several types of hiccups. The nervous form usually occurs during some kind of psychological shock, especially in hot-tempered people. Usually immediately passes after sedation.
Prolonged hiccups can be the result of serious health problems (pneumonia, tumors, etc.). Therefore, it is imperative to contact the doctor if the reaction, for example, lasts more than 1 hour; if her seizures occur several times a day or even several days a week; if, in addition to hiccups, you have chest pain, severe heartburn, or swallowing is impaired.
In everyday life, episodic hiccups are more common. Causes of its occurrence: hurried eating or drinking, hypothermia (especially in very young children), overeating, etc.
Preventive remedies for hiccups: a list
An attack of hiccups can be prevented. To do this, follow the following rules:
- Always eat slowly, so as not to swallow the excess air.
- Drink slowly: you can with the help of an effective tool - straws. If you are often attacked by attacks of hiccups, carry it with you.
- Be wary of bubbles: hiccups are often caused by carbonated drinks, especially cold drinks, and beer, because they are saturated with carbon dioxide.
- Avoid extremes: irritation of the diaphragm often causes a sudden change in its temperature. It turns out that the hiccups threaten very hot or too cold dishes.
- Never overeat: a full stomach can cause hiccups.
- Try not to smoke: when a person is puffed up, he swallows extra air, and nicotine relaxes the esophageal sphincter, a muscle that blocks the entrance to the stomach and does not allow its acids to splash into the esophagus.
Check the first aid kit: if you started taking any new medicines and noticed that you hiccups more often, it is possible that this is a side effect. Ask the doctor to prescribe another drug.-
What to do if you still started to hiccup? First of all, stop the diaphragm spasms. This can be done with a few tricks:
- Drink cold water; suck on a slice of lemon or ice cube; chew the sugar.
- Take 1 deep breath and hold your breath;
- Somknite hands in the castle behind his back and, bending down, take a few sips of water from the glass, standing on the table (ask you to drink).
- Encourage sneezing, for example, sniffing pepper (Hippocrates also used this technique);
- When you get hiccups, open your mouth, hold your tongue and gently pull it.
Hiccup: treatment features
In order to cure hiccups, you need to understand the cause of its occurrence. If you overeat, are overcooled, are strongly shaken by something, etc., there is no need to treat the reaction, it will pass by itself.
But if you have, say, pneumonia? You may not know about it, but you will hiccup, thinking that nothing serious is happening. Prolonged hiccups should always be alarming.
It can cause a hernia of the food opening of the diaphragm, violations of the cardiovascular system.
Tell your doctor about all your chronic diseases, and he will select the right treatment for you. You may need to do an ultrasound scan, an x-ray or a cardiogram, or test. Only by getting rid of the disease and starting its serious treatment, you will get rid of hiccups.
The nature of the hiccups need to be monitored. If it occurs at you often and is long, you should consult a doctor. The usual reaction of the organism, which does not threaten any pathology, passes quickly, and it is easy to get rid of it.