Heartburn is a sensation of discomfort and burning in the stomach, esophagus and larynx. It can occur due to diseases such as cholecystitis, gastritis, ulcers, hernias, and increased acidity of the stomach. Burning can also occur in a healthy person due to the intolerance of a product, the consumption of spicy foods and an excessive amount of alcohol.
How to prevent heartburn?
- Chew your food thoroughly, especially if you are on the go.
- Do not have a snack right after the main meals.
- Try to abandon chips, crackers, salted nuts, crackers.
- Eat only when you are really hungry.
- Discard (restrict) coffee, chocolate, tomatoes, and citrus.
Turning to this principle of nutrition, you can get rid of a burning sensation in the stomach for 2 weeks. If heartburn does not pass, consult a doctor and get tested.
Heartburn Medication: List
With the help of modern medicine, you can quickly cope with discomfort. Drugs that are available without a prescription are divided into two types: alginates and antacids.
Alginates are natural remedies isolated from brown algae. These drugs create a protective barrier on the surface of the stomach that prevents acid from escaping into the esophagus. The effect of such drugs lasts about 4 hours. They do not have side effects and do not affect the digestibility of other drugs.
Antacids are drugs that neutralize hydrochloric acid in the stomach for up to half an hour. This adversely affects the body, because the acid balance is needed for the natural process of digestion. After neutralization, the acid is released again, which leads to belching and bloating. The same thing happens when people try to cure heartburn with soda.
- Gaviscon is a natural algae-based suspension. It can be given to children from 12 years and women throughout the entire period of pregnancy. Gaviscon does not affect the level of acidity in the stomach.
- Maalox - it contains magnesium hydroxide and aluminum hydroxide gel. The drug is available in the form of tablets, powder or suspension. Contraindications to the use of renal failure. Also, maalox cannot be used with tetracyclines.
- Almagel is a complex medicine for heartburn, which is produced in the form of a suspension of aluminum and magnesium hydroxide and contains D-sorbitol. Almagel gently envelops the stomach, relieving heartburn. Contraindications: violations of the kidneys and sulfonamide drugs.
- Phosphalugel is a medication containing aluminum phosphate, pectin gel and algae agar-agar. The tool is available in powder form.
- Gastal - the product is available in the form of tablets containing gel of aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide and carbonate. At one time it is necessary to take 2 tablets, which are slowly resolved. Contraindications: individual intolerance to the drug and its components, as well as renal failure.
What is heartburn?
The products from which there is heartburn include the following:
- Alcoholic drinks. They increase the amount of gastric juice secreted and make the esophagus more sensitive. Among the alcohol that can cause heartburn, the first place is red wine.
- Citrus have high acidity. They can cause an increase in the amount of gastric juice, which leads to its entry into the esophagus, therefore, the appearance of heartburn.
- Fatty foods and smoked foods contain a lot of fat and starch. In this regard, the processes of digestion are slowed down, which leads to the appearance of unpleasant sensations in the stomach.
- Sauces are also products that cause heartburn. They slow down the digestive processes. If you like sauces, try replacing them with alternative dressings such as sour cream and vegetable oils.
- Caffeine relaxes the muscles of the sphincter of the stomach, which promotes the penetration of acid into the esophagus. Instead of strong tea and coffee, switch to green tea.
Heartburn Medication for Pregnancy
Heartburn symptoms are known to almost all expectant mothers. Usually, it occurs after eating, delivering significant discomfort to the pregnant woman, and sometimes painful sensations. Most of all, an unpleasant symptom appears in the second and third trimester of pregnancy and disappears after childbirth. Heartburn during pregnancy is a normal reaction of the body to hormonal changes. During childbirth, the production of the hormone progesterone increases, which is responsible for muscle contraction, including that of the stomach sphincter. Pregnant women need to be attentive to the drugs they use. Any drug treatment during this period should be monitored by a doctor.
Expectant mothers are not recommended to use baking soda to relieve discomfort, since it produces carbon dioxide and can increase heartburn. Usually, the doctor prescribes drugs such as phosphalugel, smecta and renny. These drugs neutralize gastric acid, relieving discomfort.
Heartburn: treatment of folk remedies
If you do not want to use drugs, you can use the popular recipes.
- Oats or barley are very popular in the fight against heartburn since ancient times. It is necessary to chew a pinch of grains for a few minutes while swallowing saliva. After some time, the discomfort in the stomach will pass.
- Take 1 tbsp. crushed almonds or walnuts.
- Prepare freshly squeezed juice from raw potatoes. Take 1 tbsp. 2 times a day. During severe heartburn, 2 tablespoons is applied. It is impossible to cook for the future juice from potatoes, because its properties are stored for only 20 minutes.
- Dissolve 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of warm water. Take the solution at the first sign of heartburn.
- Try to eat on an empty stomach a plate of buckwheat porridge daily.
- Eat fresh peeled apples. They reduce the burning sensation in the stomach.
- Drink soft fruit juices (guava, mango, pear, papaya, etc.). They alleviate heartburn.
- When burning in the stomach, tea with cinnamon, ginger and cardamom helps.
- Tincture of sage will help calm the stomach and strengthen it. The tincture is brewed in the usual way and drink 0.5 cups a day.
- Well helps grated carrots. It is eaten without added sugar, because it can increase the burning sensation in the stomach.
- Chew the honeycomb for a few minutes. At the same time, the surface of the esophagus and intestines is coated with wax, softening the irritating effect of the acid.
Heartburn is an uncomfortable condition that can catch any person at the most inopportune moment. To get rid of it, you need to revise your diet and eating habits. If the burning sensation accompanies you for a long time and does not pass when taking medicines and using folk remedies, be sure to consult a specialist. He will prescribe you a survey and identify the real causes of the disease by prescribing the correct treatment.