Hawthorn is one of the most famous and valuable medicinal plants. It is used as an independent tool and is included in the composition of many drugs that are intended for the treatment of various diseases. Hawthorn fruits are rich in vitamins and minerals, and their useful properties and contraindications are used by both traditional and official medicine.
Berries of wild hawthorn used more doctors of ancient China. And already in the XVI century, cultural types of shrubs appeared. Its fruits were first used to treat dysentery, then their beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system were noticed. Today hawthorn is used to prevent and treat diseases of the blood vessels and the heart, the digestive organs, and the nervous system.
Tart berries with amazing composition
Hawthorn fruits have a rich red color and a tart, sweetish taste. Useful properties and contraindications of berries are explained by their chemical composition. Fruits are saturated with flavonoids - plant substances that activate the work of many enzymes of the human body. Herbalists believe that these elements are the basis of the therapeutic action of hawthorn. They provide the following action:
- support of elasticity, hardening of capillaries, antioxidant effect, prevention of tumors (this contributes to the substance Quercetin);
- improvement of blood circulation in the brain, prevention of serious visual impairment (due to quercetin);
- the establishment of metabolism, enrichment of the blood with oxygen and important trace elements, the prevention of myocardial infarction (this helps hyperoside);
- vascular cleansing, normalization of metabolic processes in the heart muscle (due to the effects of vitexin).
The healing properties of hawthorn fruit are also due to the presence of acids in the composition. These gifts of nature:
- heal wounds and resist inflammatory processes (due to ursolic acid);
- Intensify blood flow to the heart and brain (using oleanolic acid);
- normalize the work of the liver, kidneys, gall bladder (through exposure to chlorogenic acid);
- they fight against harmful bacteria, develop the excretion of bile (this contributes to caffeic acid).
And even this is not limited to the list of nutrients that hawthorn fruits are rich in. Healing properties are provided by the presence of provitamin A (carotene), which is useful for vision, strengthening bone tissue and skin rejuvenation. By the amount of this substance hawthorn is not inferior to carrots and wild rose. The berries also contain vitamins C, E, K, which have a beneficial effect on improving overall health and strengthening the immune system. Fruits are rich in sorbitol - a substance that replaces sugar in diabetes.
Hawthorn contains such important elements for the body as iron and magnesium, potassium and calcium, manganese and zinc. In the composition of the berries are tannins, which cause their astringency. If you freeze the fruit, they become sweeter in taste.
Hawthorn - Herbal Health Aid
Funds based on the berries of this medicinal plant have a positive effect on such organs and systems:
- normalize the work of the heart, reduce its excitability, establish a coronary blood flow. Promote the treatment of tachycardia, arrhythmia;
- normalize blood cholesterol levels, improve blood clotting, eliminate vascular spasms;
- soothingly affect the nervous system, improve sleep;
- contribute to the normalization of the processes of digestion, are used for intestinal disorders;
- help with dizziness, headaches;
- strengthen the body's defenses against various infections;
- increase the formation of breast milk;
- make the skin more elastic and fresh.
Pharmaceutical preparations based on hawthorn fruit can be purchased in the form of:
- raw materials;
Also, berries are included in the compositions of medicinal syrups and elixirs. There are many popular recipes for the preparation of healing broths, infusions, and hawthorn-based teas.
Subtleties of use
Boyarka can bring significant health benefits, because the healing properties of the plant are very valuable. However, it is necessary to take into account contraindications to the use of plants and preparations based on it. You should first consult with the doctor. After all, because of the long-term active use of hawthorn, heart rhythm disturbances may occur, and blood pressure will decrease significantly.
It is necessary to use the remedy moderately and not on an empty stomach. Otherwise, you can provoke intoxication, intestinal upset. Do not drink medicines with cold water: this can lead to intestinal colic, bouts of pain.
With the help of hawthorn, you can configure and support the work of many body systems. The fruits of the plant are useful for the treatment and prevention of serious diseases, strengthen the immune system, preserve youth and beauty. With proper use of hawthorn will save health for many years.