A large number of scientists are working today on improving biotechnology, but not always the discovery and modernization of this industry has a positive effect on human health. Independent studies of genetically modified organisms are conducted very little, the negative results of experiments are hushed up, and food is directly related to the quality of human life.
What is GMO?
GMO is a genetically modified organism. Genetic engineering changes the genotypes of plants, microorganisms and animals in order to improve their properties and qualities. Each gene in a living organism is responsible for a particular trait, we remove the gene, the trait disappears, we add a new one, a new trait appears. The result is rice with the human genome or wheat with the scorpion gene. This is done to make the wheat drought tolerant, and to give the rice nutritional value. The work on genotype change is carried out purposefully, and this distinguishes transgenic organisms from mutated ones in a natural way. Operate genetics already existing genes, interfering in the affairs of nature.
For raw foodists and vegetarians, the issue of GMOs is particularly relevant, because most of the experiments genetic engineering spends on crop production.
Why did you create GMOs?
You can justify the production of genetically modified products, citing the desire of scientists to save humanity from hunger and many diseases, but often genetics work on the order of sponsors who are set to receive additional income. It is no secret that GM plants have high yields, are endowed with the best taste and resistant to adverse environmental conditions. However, the polar opinion is that those plants and animals that nature has created are capable of providing humanity with everything necessary for life, especially in conditions of the rational use of natural resources.
GMOs are used not only in food production, these organisms are relevant in medicine.
- In 2003, thanks to gene modification, the DanioRerio aquarium fish became multi-colored and fluorescent.
- In 2009, blue roses were created.
- Many countries began to reduce the cost of GM crops and products, indicate on the packaging of products that GMOs were used in their production.
- Many European countries have abandoned the import and production of GMOs.
- In Russia, it is allowed to import several genetically modified plants and microorganisms. But derivatives of beets, potatoes, rice, soybeans, corn are used in the production of many products, thus it is extremely difficult to protect against GMOs, they are found in food for children, bread, dairy and meat products.
- But it is almost impossible to find out whether GMOs were used in the production of certain products, entrepreneurs found a loophole in the legislation. After all, if the composition of the product includes substances, the mass fraction of which is less than a tenth percent, then the labeling is not required.
- Experiments on rodents revealed that after consuming GM potatoes, their kidneys, liver, prostate gland, heart, and gastrointestinal tract fell ill. Soybean affected the mortality of the offspring and the poor development of the surviving rats.
- GMOs can lead to the death of beneficial bacteria in the soil, leading to its degradation.
- If you continue in the same vein to introduce alien genes into the cells of living organisms, the process of self-destruction of organisms can start, leading to their extinction. Nature does not allow the reproduction of artificially created organisms.
An example of a genetically modified product
- To create drought-resistant wheat, the scorpion gene was used.
- There is a potato with a snowdrop gene and a cabbage mosaic virus.
- Created rice with the human gene, this gene makes rice nutritious.
These characteristics alone can cause a persistent aversion to these products.
Harm to GMOs
At the moment there is no unambiguous scientifically proven conclusion about the danger of genetically modified products. But nevertheless one should refrain from using them for a number of reasons, because any interference with nature cannot go unpunished.-
- GMO research has not been conducted in humans. It is not known how these products will affect the health of the offspring. But in animals there was a huge number of pathologies due to the use of GM potatoes, GM maize, GM soybeans, GM peas.
- Once beetles and other pests refuse to use these products, is it not a reason for people to think about it.
- If the modified product caused you to be allergic, you will never know which particular supplement your body reacted to, since the information on GMOs in products has not been disclosed. And from allergies a person is also able to die.
- Disputes continue over the effect of transgenes on the development of oncological diseases and diseases of the nervous system. Also, studies have shown that GM foods can cause infertility, deformities.
- Since many GM plants are resistant to pesticides, they easily accumulate them, and a person consuming plants consumes pesticides in doses exceeding permissible ones.
Despite such pitiable conclusions, genetically modified products continue to be sold on Russian shelves.
The leading positions in the cultivation of genetically modified organisms are engaged in China, India, South African countries, Brazil and Argentina. Total under GMO is 8% of crops in the world.
How to reduce risks from GMOs
First of all, you need to know which companies use transgenic organisms in their production. And also, what products have modified analogs. The state needs to start labeling products with GM components, do not import products from countries where GM plants are grown, it is necessary to support the development of its agriculture. It is important to ban the cultivation and use of GMOs, until such time as scientists prove the safety of these organisms.
Products containing GMOs
- Soybean, almost 85 percent of grown soy is transgenic. Look at the composition of the product do not buy if they contain soybean lecithin, dextrose, maltodextrin, glucose syrup or aspartame.
- GMO beets are used to make sugar.
- Potatoes for the manufacture of chips.
- Tomatoes for ketchup.
- Corn for popcorn.
- Kashi and soups fast food.
Also GMO analogues have many vegetables and fruits, sunflower, rice, peas, wheat, seasonings and spices.
- "Mars" production of famous chocolates.
- McDonald's - fast food restaurants.
- Kellogs - ready breakfasts and cereals.
- "Nestle" - instant cocoa, coffee, chocolate, food for children.
- "Hayents Foods" - sauces and ketchups.
- "Unilever" - food for children and a variety of sauces.
- "Hershis" - drinks, chocolate.
- "Coca Cola".
- "Danone" - fermented milk products.
- "Similak" - food for children.
- "Cadbury" - chocolate.
- Pepsi Cola.
Genetically modified products there is an alternative. If you do not have your own dacha, then buy fruits and vegetables on the market, replace sweets with dried fruits, drink purified water and herbal extracts, use natural cocoa beans, honey. Do not buy Chinese fruit. Choose those products that do not have GM counterparts. Health is more important than food. Let scientists argue about the harm of transgenes, but there is no doubt that organic foods should be in priority.
Good health to you and your loved ones!