Everyone knows about the existence of parasites that can harm the human body, especially a child. One of the most common parasitic infections, which is most often detected in children, is giardiasis. Carefully studying the symptoms and treatment of this disease, caring parents will be able to protect the health of their baby.
What is giardiasis in children? Doctors explain that this pathology occurs after infection with the simplest unicellular microorganisms called Giardia. After entering the body, they settle in the small intestine and liver, impairing the functioning of the digestive system. The child loses weight, suffers from dyspepsia, avitaminosis appears, which leads to disruption of many organs and inflammation. Do not think that this problem will bypass your home side. Unfortunately, according to the latest statistics, every third little patient has such "lodgers".
How do lamblia behave?
To think that, perhaps, Giardia will be found in children, and urgent treatment will be required, it is necessary with such symptoms:
- low-grade body temperature in the evenings (not higher than 37.5);
- chronic constipation or diarrhea (must be differentiated from intestinal dysbiosis);
- loss of appetite;
- weight loss;
- scratching of teeth at night (toxins secreted by parasites cause dysfunction of the central nervous system);
- frequent fatigue;
- reduced concentration;
- nagging pain in the peritoneum and right hypochondrium;
- coughing episodes bordering on choking;
- pale skin;
- yellowish coloring of the tongue.
If a very large number of parasites have got into the children's body, or the child has not yet turned 3 years old, as a result of which the work of the immune system leaves much to be desired, an acute form of giardiasis is possible. It manifests itself:
- refusal of food;
- nausea, in some cases - vomiting;
- hyperthermia up to 39;
- abdominal distention;
- extensive skin rash.
Having heard the child's complaints about the discomfort inherent in one of the forms of the disease, a visit to the doctor should not be postponed. On examination, the doctor will notice an increase in the size of the spleen, liver and lymph nodes for no apparent reason. To confirm the diagnosis, you will have to pass the following examinations:
- a blood test to detect antibodies to the pathogen of the disease (effective only for a month after infection);
- checking stool for the presence of lamblia cysts (it is not always possible to identify them in this way);
- bile examination (best method, but too complicated and harmful for small children).
Defeat the parasites
After making sure that the symptoms signaled precisely about giardiasis in children, one should immediately begin treatment. Usually, babies are prescribed such anti-parasitic drugs:
Dosages are prescribed only by the attending physician, based on information about the weight, age of the patient, and severity of the lesion.-
Do not do without a special diet. Sweet desserts and drinks are excluded from the diet, in contrast to fermented milk products. They should be consumed as much as possible, because Giardia does not tolerate an acidic environment. Do not rush to panic, if by the end of the week of taking the prescribed drugs the child’s well-being deteriorates, because during the decay the harmful microorganisms release toxic substances. On the 9-10 day of therapy, significant relief will come.
Interestingly, in speeches about the symptoms and treatment of giardiasis in children, Dr. Komarovsky emphasizes: this disease can be cured with inexpensive domestic Furasolidone (10 mg per kg of weight 3-4 times a day for 10 days). In the first 5 days, therapy also includes ½ pill No-shpy twice a day. In addition, the pediatrician is convinced: if lamblia do not manifest themselves, then it is not a disease, but a carrier, in which treatment is not required. But when the child suffers, in no case should not refuse qualified medical care. Folk remedies - only auxiliary measures for such a disease. Children who have not reached the age of 10 are not particularly recommended to undergo treatment using unconventional methods, otherwise the result may be the opposite.
3 magic drinks
If you have decided to supplement the medication with simple well-known medicines, prepare them strictly in accordance with the recipes.
- Cut 200 g of ripe seed cucumbers and place in an enamel bowl.
- Pour boiling water over vegetables and leave to infuse for 2 hours.
- Pour the liquid into the jar and refrigerate.
- During the day you need to drink 1.5 liters of infusion.
- Mix aspen leaves, buds and bark.
- Put in the pan 1 tbsp. l mix and fill with 1 liter of water.
- Boil the contents for 30 minutes after the start of the boil.
- Cool the medicine, and then filter.
- Within 14 days you should drink 1 tbsp. Aspen tea 2 times a day.
Decoction of dandelion roots
- Take 2 tbsp. l chopped dandelion roots and pour 0.5 liters of water.
- On low heat bring the water to a boil and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Cool the broth and strain through cheesecloth.
- Take the tool should be 10 days in the morning before breakfast and after dinner, before bedtime.
- Dosage - 1 tsp. on 10 kg of weight.
Clean - lamblia protection
Children from an early age need to instill personal hygiene skills. Elementary cleanliness reduces the risk of infection by 80%. To prevent lamblia cysts from getting into the body of your offspring, teach them:
- wash hands before eating and after contact with pets;
- do not put foreign objects in your mouth;
- wash vegetables and fruits thoroughly with boiled water;
- not to visit catering establishments where low-quality food is sold;
- Do not swallow water while swimming in freshwater rivers and lakes.
One of the sources of infection with giardiasis are sandboxes, since cats and dogs often use them as a toilet. Of course, the child will be upset if you forbid him to play with sand. This problem can be solved very simply: fasten a greenhouse film on a wooden frame made to the size of the sandbox, and cover it with a place to play in the dark.
The appearance of symptoms of giardiasis in children suggests that they need urgent treatment. Insidious parasites can take away many pleasant moments from a child and even darken his entire childhood. On the other hand, competent actions of doctors will quickly relieve the baby from pests, return him to the usual activity and cheerfulness.