Everybody is familiar with belching as a one-time phenomenon. However, not every one of us suspects that it can become a symptom of severe gastrointestinal diseases. Frequent air burping is a serious reason to see a doctor. But in some cases it is enough to use the funds from the arsenal of traditional medicine.
What is belching?
This is a phenomenon that occurs suddenly and represents the release of air in small portions from the stomach through the mouth. The mechanism of the eructation is the relaxation of the cardiac sphincter (this is the name of the small valve that separates the stomach from the duodenum) and muscle contractions of the gastrointestinal tract.
In a healthy person, gases accumulate in the stomach, which stimulate the functioning of the organ and then gradually go out through the mouth. With an excess of air, pressure in the stomach increases, leading to muscle contraction.
Why is belching?
A single belching from time to time happens to many and does not indicate a serious illness. It may appear in young children, in pregnant women, but as they grow up or due to changes in the body, the burping itself goes away.
Burping air without odor after eating or smelling freshly eaten food can also occur in a healthy person, provided:
- lively conversation during meals;
- hasty swallowing and quick chewing;
- eating under stress;
- aerophagy - excessive ingestion of air in any period.
Improper nutrition can also cause belching. The use of the following products provokes an abundant formation of gas in the stomach:
- drinks with gas;
- oxygen cocktail;
- ice cream;
Unbalanced diet leads to the development of gastrointestinal diseases. In this case, frequent burping with air is evidence of irregularities in the functioning of the body.
Types of burping and diseases
Depending on the nature of the belching, we can talk about the presence of a particular disease in a person.
- Putrid, with acetone odor
It may signal the development of diabetes when the nerves responsible for the activities of the gastrointestinal tract are damaged and food stagnates. As a result, putrefactive bacteria begin to multiply actively.
Burping with the smell of rotten eggs arises during atopic gastritis, when food stagnates in the stomach.
One of the reasons is the development of gastroduodenitis, when, with an increased pressure in the duodenum, bile is released not into the intestine, but into the stomach. This is where the characteristic bitter taste comes from.
Injuries, hernias, tumors, too, put pressure on the duodenum and provoke the release of bile into the stomach.
Acceptance of antispasmodics and muscle relaxants forms a gap between the stomach and the duodenum, lowering the septum tone.
Belching with a bitter taste may occur after surgery if the sphincter muscles have been hurt.
If a bitter taste in the mouth occurs during pregnancy, this indicates excessive pressure on the duodenum.
Belching with a sour taste can signal the development of gastritis, ulcers, or oncology of the gastrointestinal tract. In parallel, nausea, vomiting, copious saliva, heartburn can occur. If you delay treatment, belching will get a rotten smell. Belching air and chest pain also indicates increased acidity on the background of gastrointestinal diseases. Irritation of the mucous membranes can lead to the development of Barrett syndrome, when the patient regularly feels acute pain in the stomach and suffers from heartburn. If you do not go to a doctor in time, the increased acidity provokes the appearance of stomach cancer.
Constant burping with odorless air may have physiological causes, as discussed above. However, you should be careful: it can become a symptom of one of the diseases:
- disorders of gastric tone;
- aerophagy on the background of a nervous breakdown;
- narrowed esophagus;
- heart spasms;
- aortic aneurysm.
Belching in children and pregnant
Infants during feeding swallow a lot of air. Due to the imperfection of the gastrointestinal tract, the air, which is retained in the stomach, passes into the intestine and causes bloating. Irritating to the gastrointestinal tract, the child must burp air. In babies burping passes up to a year. Otherwise, she can talk about the development of pathology.
In pregnant women, the reason for burping air without odor after eating can be:
- changes in hormonal background;
- exacerbation of chronic diseases;
- changing the position of the stomach;
- stretching the walls of the stomach and non-digestion of food;
- abuse of sour, salty, fried, fatty;
- uncomfortable position after eating;
- long stay in a horizontal position.
Belching can occur during the entire pregnancy.
Whether belching is a symptom of the disease will help to clarify various types of diagnostics:
- blood and urine tests;
- fibrogastroduodenoscopy (with suspected gastritis or ulcers);
- esophagotonography (determination of sphincter tone);
- esophagofibroscopy (reveals the degree of gastric motility);
- intra-esophageal pH-metry (determines the level of acidity);
- colonoscopy (examination of the gastrointestinal tract with an endoscope);
- feces analysis.
If belching is not caused by diseases, preventive measures should be taken to eliminate it.
- Eat slowly, chewing well.
- Do not talk while eating.
- Do not drink from the straw.
- Revise the diet (do not drink sparkling water, products that cause bloating).
- Eat in small portions 5-6 times a day.
- Do not tighten tight clothes (belts, buttons).
- Temporarily abandon exercises to strengthen the abdominals.
- Stroll for half an hour after eating.
- Sleep on a high pillow.
The latter measures will reduce the pressure inside the stomach.
When a particular disease is detected, only a doctor will prescribe treatment. As additional measures and prevention, you can use folk remedies.
- Mint tea, which can be added to any drink.
- Powder of calamus root. Take a day for a third teaspoon.
- Infusion of fennel, mint, linden flowers and flax seeds. All ingredients mix in equal proportions. 1 tbsp. l mix pour a glass of boiling water, insist and strain. Drink a quarter cup 2 times a day.
- 0.5 st. cranberry juice and aloe mixed with 1 tbsp. l honey and 1 tbsp. water. Take 1 tbsp. l three times a day for a week.
- Potato and carrot juice mixed in equal proportions and drink 0.5 st. before eating.
- Eat a carrot or apple fresh.
- Drink goat milk three times a day for 3 weeks.
Sometimes it makes sense to have a physical effect on the digestive tract. Exercises should be carried out no earlier than one hour after eating. To do this, lie on your back and lift your legs 45 degrees. Hold this position for a few minutes and repeat the exercise. He will be followed by a burp attack. When the air comes out of the stomach, it will stop.
Such a seemingly simple, mundane phenomenon, like burping air without odor after eating, is worthy of your attention. With the regular manifestation of such a problem and timely access to a doctor, this symptom can save your life if it warns you of serious problems. You are only required to be more attentive to the signals of your body.