Preservatives, dyes, flavor enhancers and odors are the words of every person. Today it is almost impossible to find products that are not added to these substances. They are called harmful, dangerous to health, but for some reason continue to use. Let's try to answer the question: what are preservatives and what is their harm?
Preservatives are substances that inhibit the development of microorganisms in food.Their action prevents the appearance of mold, unpleasant taste and smell, the proliferation of microbes and the formation of toxins. Products in the production or processing of which preservatives were used are stored for a long time. This explains the fact that it is profitable for manufacturers to use these substances in industry.
People in ancient times were familiar with the properties of preservatives. They were used not only to preserve products for a long time, but also to mummify the leaders and kings.
- Essential oils;
But the main danger is synthetic analogues of preservatives.. In the food industry, preservatives are called food additives and labeled E200-E299, E1125. Preservatives are used in the manufacture of cosmetics, medicines, wood, animal feed, and car engines.
Food preservatives are divided into:
- Substances that affect the cells of the product. They are introduced into the product.
- Substances that kill germs. They process the surface.
Food preservatives and health
In production it is very difficult to achieve an optimal dose of preservative. This dose should be safe for human health, but at the same time ensure the safety of the product. Many preservatives themselves are not dangerous to humans, but when interacting with each other can become toxic and accumulate in the body.
Harm to preservatives
All preservatives are divided into permitted and prohibited. In limited quantities, most of them are safe, the effect of many on human health has not yet been studied. If you abuse products that contain preservatives, the health effects can not be avoided. Preservatives are capable of:-
- Suppress protein synthesis;
- Cause allergies;
- Provoke intestinal disorders;
- Lead to the formation of stones in the kidneys;
- Destabilize the nervous system;
- Cause headache, nausea;
- Increase blood acidity, lead to oxygen starvation;
- Reduce vision;
- Cause pancreatic diseases;
- Destroy the liver.
Commonly used non-natural preservatives:
- Sorbic acid or E 200, used in bakery and other industries. It fights mold and yeast and is used to preserve food. In general, this preservative is low toxic, the body absorbs it without difficulty, but in some cases it can cause skin rashes.
- Nisin or E 234. This preservative is natural, obtained as a result of the vital activity of lactic bacteria with a wide range of applications. Suppresses the development of bacteria and prevents the formation of toxins in products. According to some information has no dietary restrictions.
- Sodium benzoate or E 211used in the formulation of many sauces, canned and carbonated drinks. Studies have shown that this preservative and its derivatives can cause DNA damage that can cause Parkinson's disease, liver disease, and a number of other diseases.
- Sulfur dioxide or E 200 - 228. Used in the manufacture of semi-finished and de-icing containers. The harm of these substances on the human body is not fully understood.
- Sodium Nitrite or E 250preserves the pink color of meat products. Consumption in large quantities is dangerous for humans, since E 250 is a toxic substance, leading to the formation of a carcinogen during heat treatment of the product. Possible intestinal cancers and lung disease with frequent use of foods with sodium nitrite.
- Carbon dioxide or E 290part of the bakery products, in solid form is used as a cooler products.
- Propionic acid and derivatives or E 280 - 283used in the manufacture of cheese, bread, dairy products. In the unconcentrated state, it does not harm the human body, and if it exceeds the limit, it can lead to cancer.
- Lactic acidpractically harmless to the body.
Studies that could give a full description of the effect of preservatives on the human body, was not enough. Several decades of use of these substances do not give an objective picture. Harm, as well as the safety of food additives, is not fully understood. It is impossible to say with certainty that preservatives contribute to the development of cancer in the human body, but this fact cannot be denied. As a precaution Give preference to fresh vegetables and fruits grown on the beds without the use of pesticides. Wash store vegetables and fruits thoroughly.
See also:Sulfur dioxide in wine: effects on the body
Try to exclude products containing harmful substances from your diet in order to preserve your health and the health of your loved ones.
Especially for womeninahomeoffice.com.ru - Elena