Most people at least once in their life faced with such an unpleasant concept as food toxicoinfection, in other words - food poisoning. It is best to call an ambulance at the first symptoms, but sometimes you can cope with the illness on your own.
What is food poisoning?
Food poisoning is an acute disease that is provoked by harmful bacteria that live outside the human body, usually in food. If we speak in simple words, the bacteria leave behind their waste products on the products, and they are often toxic, which causes an acute inflammatory reaction in humans - food poisoning.
By the way, depending on how large the release of toxins by bacteria was, the degree of poisoning will also depend. The worst - with irreversible consequences for the body, when the bacteria left behind the maximum amount of active toxins.
According to doctors, food poisoning is a very serious illness, but it has its own advantage, which lies in transience, because the patient begins to experience the first signs of recovery within a few hours after correctly selected therapy. Food poisoning in an adult has pronounced symptoms, and its treatment does not cause much difficulty if you consult a specialist in time.
Symptoms and signs of poisoning in an adult
As you know, the symptoms of poisoning appear almost immediately, because the body immediately begins to respond to the action of toxins. He immediately tries to get rid of them in all possible ways. According to the doctors, from the moment the spoiled food gets into the body until the first signs of the disease appear, it can take from an hour to a day, which is very rare, on average, symptoms appear after 2-3 hours
And, the first symptom of the disease is terrible nausea, which gradually increases, as a result of which vomiting begins. In this case, it is worth paying attention to the fact that not all people with nausea experience vomiting, it must be borne in mind. With prolonged nausea, it is better to contact a specialist immediately, without worsening your situation.
The second sign, as is probably already clear, is vomiting, which is constantly repeated every 30-40 minutes, depending on the degree of poisoning. It also happens that the emetic urge occurs every 5-10 minutes, which is very dangerous for the body.
After some time, another sure sign of food poisoning is added to vomiting - diarrhea, which also recurs after a short time. In fact, there is nothing wrong with vomiting and diarrhea, because in this way the body tries to get rid of toxins. Harmful is the fact that tissues and organs lose water, which is needed for proper life, as a result, people weaken.
Chills and weakness are the next signs of food poisoning, which already “scream” that the body cannot cope on its own, it needs help.
When food poisoning is already the first symptoms - a signal that home treatment should be started immediately.
And the last, fifth sign of this unforeseen disease is pain and heaviness in the stomach and intestines. This symptom may not always appear, it depends on the organism and, of course, the degree of poisoning.
You also need to say that there may be additional symptoms of the disease. We are talking about dizziness, loss of appetite, increased body temperature, impaired vision (eye pain).
Treatment of acute poisoning at home
What to do with food poisoning? So, first of all, it is necessary to get rid of the food that you have poisoned, that is, to release the stomach from toxins. This can be done in different ways, which are quite accessible at home:
- washing the stomach with a solution of potassium permanganate (potassium permanganate) - for this you need to take a few crystals of potassium permanganate and dilute them in warm water. It is very important to ensure that all the crystals are dissolved, otherwise they can burn and so inflamed stomach. The patient should try to drink as much of this solution as possible, which will then “wash out” all the toxins from the body and greatly facilitate the well-being.
- gastric lavage with clean water - this method is not as effective, but it still gives benefits. But in this case, the patient should drink at least 2-3 liters of water per hour, and preferably more. In other words, the more water a person drinks, the faster he will recover. Water must be boiled or bottled.
- washing the stomach with a solution of salt is also a very effective procedure; salt water prevents the penetration of poisons from the stomach into the intestines, it dissolves them, destroying them directly in the body. To prepare the medicine, dissolve 2 hours L. salt in 3 liters of warm water, drink in small sips.
- gastric lavage with a solution using sorbents. This method is suitable if there are suitable medicines at home - sorbents that are effective in food poisoning. It is necessary to use these drugs according to the instructions.
What to do if the fever has risen?
Unfortunately, food poisoning can be accompanied by fever. This is very bad, because it is still a big load for the body and only washing here will not help. The process is already running, the walls of the stomach and intestines are inflamed, which need help.
So what to do with food poisoning with temperature? The first is washing - choose any method convenient to you from the above listed. It is also advisable to make an enema, but not from ordinary water, but rather from herbs - chamomile, calendula, and St. John's wort - this will remove inflammation and irritation. As for the temperature, then on the advice of the medical profession, if it did not rise above 38.5 degrees, it is not necessary to shoot it down, and this applies not only to adults, but also to children. Your body must fight the infection itself.
And, of course, leading the fight against food poisoning with fever, you need to remember that on the first day it is better to completely give up food. For 2-3 days to be content with only light dishes - liquid cereals, compotes, light soup-puree.
- Before eating, after visiting public places, playing with pets, you must wash your hands with soap and water. They just live a huge number of malicious bacteria that can easily provoke serious food poisoning.
- Cooked dishes must be stored in a refrigerator in closed containers, regardless of whether it is a tray, pan or frying pan.
- You should not keep raw and cooked food nearby, they should be distributed in different sections, otherwise you will create an ideal breeding ground for bacteria.
- Expired products should not be stored in the refrigerator, they should be thrown away in a timely manner - do them revision more often.
- Do not eat foods that smell bad or have an inappropriate appearance.
- Boil well and fry the meat.
- Wash fruits and vegetables.
Food poisoning is a very serious disease that can be managed at home without the help of specialists. The main thing - as soon as possible to take appropriate action, taking into account all the above tips. But note that if vomiting and diarrhea continue for more than a day, you should immediately consult a doctor. This means that, apparently, you have started poisoning, and only a qualified specialist will help here.