The choice of cough medicines in our time is very large. Pharmacists in pharmacies, advertising on television constantly offer to try something new. But in the event that you choose an expectorant for your baby, you should only trust the attending physician.
Naturally, at the first symptoms of the child's illness, it is necessary to show the doctor, who will conduct the examination and prescribe the necessary treatment. At the same time it will be useful for you to learn how to navigate in a rich assortment of expectorant products for children.
Features of expectorants
Expectorants are a group of drugs that thin a viscous sputum and remove it from the respiratory tract. Most often these are medicines of natural origin or having natural components in their composition. Expectorants are used for wet cough with a thick sputum. These preparations include the complex treatment of bronchitis and pneumonia, bronchial asthma, laryngitis, sinusitis, tracheitis, pneumoconiosis and cystic fibrosis.
Expectorants are divided into two groups according to the mode of action.
- With a reflex effect. These are herbal preparations (medicinal herbs and their extracts) that accelerate the excretion of sputum from the respiratory tract. The principle of action is based on irritation of the gastric mucosa, as a result of which the work of the glands of the bronchi increases. As a result, the sputum becomes liquid, its quantity increases, and it is easily removed from the body during coughing.
- With direct action. Such drugs act directly on the bronchi themselves and accelerate the excretion of sputum. A direct effect on bronchial produce essential oils (eucalyptus, anise), iodine salts and sodium hydrochloride (ordinary baking soda). Most often, these drugs are used in the form of inhalation.
- Accelerated elimination sputum called mucolytics. Phlegm consists of proteins, nucleic acids and other polymers, which determine its viscous consistency. Mucolytics destroy protein molecules by diluting sputum. Today, the most well-known drugs of mucolytic action are Bromhexin, ACC, and Abroxol (Lasolvan).
- It is worth mentioning that there are drugs of combined action: Dr. Mom, Codelac fito. They, along with expectorant, have antitussive, bronchodilator and anti-inflammatory effect. It is recommended to use such funds for the treatment of cough that occurs during a cold.
Please note that drug manufacturers most often produce expectorant drugs for both adults and children. Choose for your baby means for children, as they are designed to meet the characteristics of the child's body.
This is important! Carefully ensure that at the same time expectorant and antitussives are not included in the treatment of the child. Using a combination of these drugs can cause sputum in the airways.
Medical expectorants for children
Expectorants for children come in various forms: syrups, drops, tablets. Syrups and drops are convenient to give a child of any age. Most often they consist of natural ingredients and do not contain dyes, preservatives, alcohol.
In the form of a syrup or drops, a drug such as Gedelix is released, the active substance of which is ivy leaf extract. The advantage of this tool is that it is suitable for children under the age of one year. Syrup Doctor MOM differs in a unique composition of 11 medicinal plants. Assign it to children from three years.
In the form of tablets produce such a tool as Mukaltin, containing the basis of the Althea drug. This drug is recommended for children from three years.
When treating expectorant drugs, it is necessary to adhere to the dosage and treatment regimen prescribed by the attending physician.
Expectorants for children: traditional medicine
Some medicinal plants and charges have remarkable expectorant properties. Herbal medicine is suitable for children from a very early age. But no matter how herbal treatment looked harmless, never use it without consulting a doctor!
- When wet cough to liquefy sputum is usually used grass thermopsis, thyme, plantain leaves and coltsfoot, chest charges №1, №2, №3. Medicinal herbs and fees used in the form of decoctions and infusions as directed by the attending physician.
- Licorice root extract is also often used as an expectorant for children. Licorice root has expectorant, bronchodilator, mucolytic, antispasmodic, immunostimulating and anti-inflammatory action. It is necessary to use it with caution, observing the dosage, since ethyl alcohol is included in the medication. Children under 6 years of licorice root syrup must be diluted with water.
- Alteyas extract contains a wide range of useful substances: organic acids and amino acids, pectin, fatty oils, vitamin A, mineral salts. Althea syrup stimulates the bronchial glands and improves expectoration, well thins sputum. Use of this drug can be used to treat children up to a year.
Expectorants for children set. Consultation with a competent specialist will help you make the right choice in this variety and in the shortest time to restore the health of your baby!