Dry hacking cough can bring a lot of problems. However, if its cause is not a serious disease, then you can cope with it at home. Consider how to overcome a dry cough in an adult, its treatment with folk methods.
How to quickly overcome a cough?
A dry and intermittent cough, characterized by painful sensations in the chest and the absence of sputum from the bronchi, can bring a lot of inconvenience to a person. A special peak of constant urge to cough comes in the evening hours of the day, and the greatest turnover cough gains at night, thereby not allowing the body to relax during sleep.
The reasons for this condition can be quite a few. These include allergies, dust, dry air, asthma, infectious diseases of the respiratory tract and much more. Before embarking on self-treatment, it is worthwhile to clarify the nature of cough and try therapy with traditional methods of medicine.
But a dry cough in an adult without fever, not caused by serious diseases of internal organs, can be alleviated by resorting to affordable home remedies:
- Sleep on a raised surface. Doctors believe that the aggravation of cough at night is due to the accumulation of mucus in the throat. By placing the pillows so that the head is at an angle of 45 degrees, you will help the mucus pass through the esophagus without irritating the mucous membrane of the larynx.
- If the cause was an allergy, then there is good news: a cough will not overpower you until you meet your own enemy in your path - allergens. Try better to clean the room, often change the bedding and air pillows, getting rid of dust.
- Use humidifiers to soften the air in the room. It can be both professional devices, and a usual wet towel.
- A hot bath before bedtime with the addition of essential oils will warm the body and bronchi from the inside and help you sleep better at night.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Hot milk with butter or tea with lemon and honey will help soothe the irritated throat.
Tips from grandma's piggy bank
Treatment of cough in adult folk remedies should be primarily aimed at alleviating the symptoms. And here, to tell the truth, there is a huge choice of means - tinctures from various herbal preparations, inhalations, rubbing, ointments, decoctions and home remedies. All of them, of course, can not completely eliminate the cough, but help to transfer it from dry to wet, which is already an undoubted advantage.
Effective such folk remedies for dry cough in adults:
- Licorice root is an excellent expectorant and sedative. It also helps eliminate inflammation and dilutes mucus that has accumulated in the throat. You can buy a sweet medicine at each pharmacy.
- Ginger is a natural anesthetic and antiseptic. You can often find it as an additional component in syrups and lozenges. It is recommended to use a dry cough ginger drink at least 3 times a day.
- Steam inhalations with eucalyptus and tea tree oil allow to thin the sputum and remove mucus from the bronchi. Boil water in a saucepan, add a few drops of oil to it and, covered with a towel, breathe for 10-15 minutes over the steam.
- With a strong cough, black radish juice helps well. The plant must be washed, grated on a fine grater and squeeze out all the liquid from the gruel. Drink a teaspoonful juice 2 times a day.
Find relief from dry cough can be in the broth of herbs. Various herbal teas and certain types of plants can be purchased in the free access at the pharmacy:
- With a protracted cough, a decoction of crow's feet is excellent. Boil 1 tablespoon of Potentilla Goose in a glass of water and drink a teaspoon after eating.
- Removes unexpected bouts of cough and relieves sore throat decoction of wild rosemary. Preparing a decoction in the same proportions as the crow's feet.
- Effective when coughing picking herbs from chamomile, thyme, mother and stepmother leaves, Althea root and licorice. Brew 2 tablespoons of the collection in a liter thermos for 4 hours and drink half a cup of broth twice a day.
- A tincture of sage, boiled in milk, can eliminate even the most powerful cough. Boil a tablespoon of herbs in a liter of milk, then strain the liquid and drink half a cup before bedtime.
There are many other herbs that have similar effects, and you can also find them in the pharmacy. But remember that any fees have many advantages as well as contraindications. Therefore, if there is no reliable information on what effect this or that remedy has on the body, it is better to consult with a physician or herbalist beforehand.
Strong mucolytic agents
When treating cough by means of official medicine, doctors often prescribe various syrups and potions. Make these drugs can be at home from natural ingredients. By the way, such methods of treating dry cough in adults are especially popular and have positive reviews.
Cough syrup with honey and lemon
- fresh juice of one lemon;
- 1 tbsp. l liquid honey;
- ½ tsp glycerol.
Preparation and use:
- We squeeze the juice out of the lemon and filter it from the bones and fibers through the gauze.
- Add liquid honey and glycerin to the juice and stir well until the honey is completely dissolved.
- Pour into a jar and tightly close the lid. We remove the syrup in a dark place and insist about 24 hours.
- Take 1 tablespoon 3 times a day after meals.
- 1 banana;
- 1 tbsp. l honey;
- 1 tbsp. milk
Preparation and use:
- Grind a ripe banana in a blender to a slurry.
- Boil milk in a small saucepan, add banana puree and honey to it, mix well.
- Give the mixture a little cool and drink before bedtime. In the morning, the state should improve significantly.
Cough drops with onions and garlic
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- ½ medium onion;
- 1 tbsp. milk
Preparation and use:
- Pour the milk into the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Then add half the onions and chopped cloves of garlic into the milk, continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally so that the milk does not run away.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the burner and let the milk cool for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through several layers of gauze or a fine sieve.
- We drink milk while it is still warm, preferably before bedtime, for a month.
With self-treatment of dry cough is not worth much to get involved in the process. If the cough has increased, other symptoms have appeared, then home therapy should be stopped and consult a doctor.