Runny nose in young children is a common and natural phenomenon. This is an attempt by the body to prevent the penetration of the infection into the lower respiratory tract. The problem is that in children the immunity is in the stage of formation and is not always able to resist infection. What drops from a cold for children from a year are effective?
Features of the use of drops from the cold for young children
The causes of rhinitis in young children are very diverse. Highlight the main and most common:
- viral or bacterial infections;
- any type of allergy;
- acute respiratory infections;
- high content of irritants, smoke, dust in the air, which the child breathes;
- lack of moisture in the air.
The most common cause of the common cold in a child is acute rotavirus infections. In fact, a runny nose is a protective reaction of the body against the penetration of the causative agent. Mucus, which accumulates in abundance in the nose with a cold, contains elements to neutralize the effect of the virus.
However, this protection works until the mucus becomes thicker or dries out due to an elevated temperature of the patient or dry air in the room. After that, the snot cease to be a weapon in the fight against infection, and turn into a favorable environment for the reproduction of bacteria. The symptoms of such a transformation are fairly obvious - thick snot yellow-green.
Thus, in case of a viral infection, the struggle should be directed not at eliminating snot, but at maintaining them in a productive form so that they can have a neutralizing effect on the virus. To this end, such drops from the common cold, which can be given to children from 1 year of age, do well:
- normal saline.
Another very common cause of rhinitis in children, which in terms of frequency is in second place, is an allergy. In order to treat allergic rhinitis, it is first necessary to identify the allergen that caused it. There will be no annoying factor, and the snot will disappear.
The list of possible allergens is quite wide and individual. The most common of them are:
- detergents, such as laundry powder;
- bloom of a certain type of plants;
- perfume, colognes, etc.
If it was not possible to identify and eliminate the allergen, then only one thing remains - nasal means.-
Varieties of nasal drugs and their effects
Today, there are many effective nasal means that are able to eliminate the cold without much difficulty. The result of their use is achieved quickly and specifically - free breathing with the nose and the absence of snot. However, there are aspects that cannot be ignored:
- drops have a temporary effect, and after a while the runny nose will return;
- it is impossible to cure a cold with some drops, because it is a symptom of the disease and the cause must be treated;
- nasal drugs can be addictive.
All nasal drugs offered by the pharmacy chain can be divided into the following categories:
- Agents that have a vasoconstrictor effect, for local use. Such drops, when exposed to the mucous membrane of the nasal passages, constrict its vessels, thereby eliminating puffiness and reducing the amount of secreted mucus. Their use must be approached with caution, since there are a number of side effects, including the effect of addiction.
- Drops of antibacterial action. They are used to liquefy the accumulated congestion in the nose and in case of difficulties with the cleansing of the sinuses.
- Means for moisturizing the nasal mucosa. Ideal drops from a cold for children under one year, because they have no contraindications and side effects. Drops are made on the basis of sterilized seawater. Recommended their complex use with vasoconstrictor agents.
- Antihistamine drops are used for allergic rhinitis of a seasonal or year-round nature.
- Complex antiviral agents with immunomodulatory effects. The selection of funds is carried out by a pediatrician individually depending on the form and severity of the disease.
Consider briefly the characteristics of the most common today nasal drops of children:
- Vasoconstrictor drops "Vibrocil". This drug is an instant and prolonged action. It is approved for use in children under one year of age. A side effect - extremely rarely causes a burning sensation in the nasal passages. The duration of the course of application of drops is not more than 7 days.
- "Protargol" - antiseptic. Drops have anti-inflammatory effect, contain silver ions. Do not have contraindications and side effects.
- "Salin" - drops with anti-edematous action. The use of this tool allows to reduce the dosage and frequency of use of vasoconstrictor drops. The drug greatly improves the sense of smell and nasal breathing.
- "Nasonex" is a topical corticosteroid drug. Eticaly from a cold are assigned to children from 2 years. The tool prevents systemic effects, but it can cause headache, irritation of the mucous membrane of the nasal passages, pharyngitis. Drops are contraindicated in injuries of the nose, tuberculosis and fungal diseases of the respiratory organs.
- "Derinat" is an antiviral agent that is used for the prevention and during the complex treatment of infections of an acute respiratory nature. It has an immunomodulatory effect.
This list of drugs can be continued indefinitely. But only a qualified specialist can determine the drug that is necessary for your child. A variety of names of drugs are given to show the wide possibilities of modern pharmacology.