Diarrhea or diarrhea is an unpleasant event in itself. And if this happens to a child, and even against a background of increased temperature, then feelings and a sleepless night are provided. And these anxieties are not groundless, because diarrhea in children at an early age is a very dangerous phenomenon that can lead to dehydration. And as you know, young children lose water very quickly. Diarrhea and fever in a child - as evidenced by these symptoms and what to do about it?
Vomiting, diarrhea, temperature 37.5 in a child: the main reasons
Diarrhea, vomiting, and fever are often the result of an acute intestinal infection. Actually, these symptoms reflect the entire pathogenesis of the disease. The scheme is as follows: the causative agent of infection enters the body with food and begins to multiply rapidly and move from the esophagus to the stomach, then into the intestine. As the troublemaker advances inward, a protective reaction of the body manifests itself in the form of the sequential inclusion of symptoms.
But rotavirus infection is not the only cause that can cause such effects. Similar results may lead to:
- E. coli;
- food poisoning;
- helminthiasis (worms);
- sore throat, pharyngitis;
- taking antibiotics and, as a result, dysbacteriosis;
- inflammation of the appendix.
Sometimes this condition in a child can be caused by overeating.
What should parents do?
Any disease requires timely effective treatment, and with the participation of qualified professionals. All this is well understood, but not all do so. Some are from lack of time, others from reluctance to go to hospitals, and still others believe that it will pass by itself. It is important to understand that the simultaneous presence of acute symptoms, such as abdominal cramps, profuse vomiting, diarrhea due to an elevated temperature in a child, requires immediate medical attention! No self treatment! Each of these symptoms separately causes significant dehydration. And with simultaneous effects on the body, they reinforce each other.
Thus, in children, a rise in temperature often provokes vomiting, which, in turn, accelerates the process of metabolism, accompanied by the release of thermal energy. When vomiting is problematic enough to bring down the temperature, because the antipyretic drugs again provoke an emetic reflex. The circle is closed. In such a situation, symptomatic treatment must begin with the predominant sign over all, which is currently causing the greatest harm to the patient.
To alleviate the condition of the child before the arrival of the doctor, you can use such means:
- to remove toxins from the body - Smektu, Enterosgel or sorbent;
- to reduce the level of dehydration - Regidron;
- in case of hyperthermia - Efferalgan in syrup;
- not to cause a gag reflex, wipe the child with a solution of vinegar. Vinegar 9% diluted in a 1: 1 ratio with warm water.
Causes of Diarrhea Without Temperature
Diarrhea without fever is, of course, better than diarrhea with an elevated temperature threshold. But this does not cause much optimism, because the danger of dehydration of the child’s body remains. To cope with this ailment, you need to find out what provoked it.
Possible causes of diarrhea without fever include:
- Stress caused, for example, by the fear of something. In such cases, diarrhea goes away after going to the toilet. But attacks can be repeated in similar situations. Try to understand what scares your baby, and if possible, eliminate the cause. In a more serious situation, consult with a child psychologist.
- The reaction to new products contained in the composition of feeding on infants.
- Bacteria that are unfamiliar to a newborn who has not yet fully mastered the new habitat.
- Unripe fruit that can lead to fermentation in the intestines.
- Eating stale foods, eating too much sweets.
How to treat?
As you can see, diarrhea can be caused by various reasons, including very serious ones, respectively, and treatment regimens will also be different. Actually, let us leave the questions of therapy to the specialists. And in order to avoid attempts at self-treatment, we offer you general recommendations for stomach upset in a child:
- If the general condition of the child is good, and besides diarrhea nothing disturbs him, then you should not refuse to breastfeed, because the best prophylactic than breast milk has not yet been invented. Artificial feeding of children during the period of illness translate into soy mixture.
- To reduce fluid losses, decoctions of rice or oak bark are used, which have significant astringent properties. Also use salt solution, which watered the patient in small portions, but often. The solution is prepared as follows: in one liter of boiled warm water, dissolve 1 tsp. salt and 3 tsp. sugar sand.
- To remove toxins, use enterosorbents, and to relieve abdominal cramps - No-silos.
- For symptomatic treatment and reduction of intestinal motility, Loperamide or Imodium may be used. At the same time carefully read the instructions and follow the dosage. The drug is allowed for children from 2 years.
- If drugs are the cause of diarrhea, you should stop taking them and consult a doctor.
- Temporarily exclude from the child's diet legumes, fresh white bread, fatty meat and fish, pastry, soda and fruit juices, dairy products.
- The diet menu should include foods and dishes boiled or steamed. Give preference to chopped and ground food, soft porridge, natural yogurt.
If the measures taken did not bring relief and diarrhea continues for a long time, immediately consult a doctor. No need to wait for the following symptoms - vomiting and fever, have pity on your child.