People love to invent all kinds of tales about food. Thus, under the microscope of human gaze, corn has hit, the benefit and harm of which is a very controversial topic on the pages of many forums. Of course, the grass itself is ambiguous, so it is better to listen to the opinion of scientists and doctors than we do today.
Corn: all the secrets of the inner world
Despite the fact that mankind has known about corn since ancient times, the actual origin of this grass is fanned by mystery. The only thing that scientists managed to find out is that there is no wild-growing corn in nature. In our regions, this culture grows well in the southern regions, but if desired, and proper care there are options for growing cereal even in the vast expanses of Siberia.
But if little is known about the origin of corn, then its biochemical composition has been studied far and wide. Through numerous studies have revealed that the product includes:
- more than 70% of starch;
- about 10% protein;
- vegetable fats occupy about 5%;
- 5% is also allocated for complex carbohydrates.
In addition, as part of the corn, a place was kindly found for a long list of vitamins, macro- and microelements. Of the most important are:
- vitamins PP, E, A and B.
The calorie content of the raw young cob is 338 Kcal. But boiled corn somewhat loses its energy value. So, it is only 123 Kcal. At the same time, its other properties are slightly reduced. For example, boiled corn will retain 20% of the benefits of all vitamins, but it will bring much less harm. At least, this is exactly the opinion of research scientists.
Food without harm
Looking at such a rich composition of corn, it is not surprising that such a simple product is considered to be very useful among supporters of a healthy diet. Unsaturated acids contained in corn will help the body clean out bad cholesterol. A rather impressive amount of protein will fill in the missing daily supply of this element in vegetarians.
Somehow it is unacceptable to eat raw cobs, so all the controversy about the benefits and harms of the product are conducted mainly around cooked corn. It is in this form that it is most often added to salads, soups, or side dishes. And small children love to gnaw a whole head of cabbage. In any case, the dishes are not only very tasty, but also very useful.-
Against the background of many advantages, the following properties of maize stand out most clearly:
- First of all, it is worth noting that corn on the cob is very useful for patients with a diagnosis of enterocolitis, as it significantly slows down the processes of rotting and fermentation in the intestine, improves digestion.
- Often, doctors recommend that this grass be added to the diet for women who want to lose weight.
- With regular use of corn, the state of the nervous system will noticeably improve. The body will be able to more easily endure stress, sleep will return to normal and performance will increase.
- Very useful maize porridge with the addition of fresh corn oil. This dish slows down the process of cell aging, and also prevents the development of oncological diseases.
- Our ancestors often used corn kernels in the treatment of diarrhea and dysentery.
- Fresh young cobs have the ability to remove harmful radicals, slags and toxins from the body, including neutralizing the effect of alcohol.
- Corn soup is not only very tasty, but also useful for problems of the gastrointestinal tract, in particular, for gastritis.
- Even men will find advantages in every grain. So, scientists have found that this grass contributes to the increase of potency and sexual activity.
In a word, corn is not just the queen of the fields, but also a very valuable product of dietary nutrition. However, selflessly addicting to eating it is also not worth it, especially for people with increased blood clotting and suffering from intestinal obstruction. In addition, undoubted harm to the body will bring unlimited consumption of corn chips, flakes and even popcorn, as often negligent producers add dyes, artificial sweeteners and chemical supplements to these products.
Think for yourself, decide for yourself
The health benefits and harms of corn will largely depend on how the crops are grown. Of course, in our country on a production scale it is forbidden to cultivate genetically modified products. And all over the world for 10 years already there is a ban on the use of GM products for eating for children, pregnant women and nursing mothers. All these measures are certainly needed, because scientists have long figured out that such food leads to many negative consequences.
Going shopping, do not forget to look closely at the container: is there a corresponding marking on it. Although it is worth considering the fact that different countries of the world use their own regulatory requirements. For example, in Russia, modifiers are allowed, but not more than 0.9%. In this case, the labeling of goods as "GM" is optional. But in the US, this division of goods is not regulated at all by the government. Therefore, if you want to preserve health and longevity, beware of buying corn cobs grown in China, India, USA, Argentina and Brazil.
We hope that now you have at least a little understood what constitutes such a mysterious and discussed cereal. Eat corn for health, but remember - everything good should be in moderation.