The selection of products in Ayurveda is carried out exclusively for each individualand ideally with the help of an Ayurvedic physician, since everyone, in addition to his constitution, can have his own body features, functional organs work. The doctor will help to include in the diet foods that are most suitable for the constitution and sometimes have a healing effect. But, if it is not possible to consult a specialist - try to make a diet yourself.
The concept of Ayurvedic food compatibility
- Avoid milk or dairy products with acidic fruits or citrus or other acidic foods.
- Avoid eating potatoes or other starchy foods. Starch is digested for a long time; and often potatoes or other starchy foods are not digested properly, creating Amus [toxins].
- Avoid eating melon and grains together.. Melons digest quickly, while grains are long. This combination upsets the stomach. Melons should be eaten alone, without other products.
- Honey should never be heated. Honey is digested very slowly, and if it is prepared (heated), the molecules present in honey become non-homogenized glue, which is firmly attached to the mucous membranes and clogs the thin channels of the cells, creating toxins. Unprepared honey - nectar, cooked (heated) honey - poison.
- Do not drink milk with other protein foods. Proteins have a warming quality, and milk cools, so they oppose each other, break Agni [digestion fire] and create Amu [toxins].
- Milk and melon do not need to eat together. They both cool, but milk is laxative, and melon is diuretic, and milk takes more time to digest. In addition, the action of hydrochloric acid in the stomach causes the milk to clot. For this reason Ayurveda does not recommend drinking milk with sour fruits, yogurt, sour cream or sour cream, sour jam, cheese or other sour products.
Daily diet should include:
- 40-50% well cooked rice (Basmati) or cereals (wheat, barley) depending on the constitution of the body;
- 15-30% well cooked legumes (dal, mung dal, mung bean, lentils, peas, beans);
- 2-5% vegetable soups;
- 1/2 teaspoon of pickles (pickles) - pickles or the like
Ayurvedic Nutrition Secrets
- Eliminate from the diet foods that are not beneficial or harmful to the body.
- Taste or smell?Not only taste is not the determining principle in the choice of products, the choice of products also needs to take into account their smell.
- Time of receipt. It is important to use certain types of products at a particular time of the day - their digestibility depends on this and, accordingly, affects the reduction or weight gain, helps in getting rid of bad habits, etc.
- Cook yourself. One of the "dietary" commandments of Ayurveda says: eat fresh, freshly cooked food. In no case do not re-heat it. The process of cooking is very important. Start cutting vegetables and cooking soup is possible only in a good mood, thinking about pleasant things. It makes food tastier and healthier not only for you, but also for the people you love (and feed). So if you are offended and angry, cooking is better and do not start.
- Eat live food. To be viable, our body needs live food. These are fresh, natural fruits, vegetables and whole grains. They contain enzymes necessary for proper digestion and assimilation of food, as well as nutrients for normal cellular construction. The saying "You are what you eat" is a profound truth. Cook with fresh produce.. Frozen and canned - "lifeless." And eat as much food as possible raw (vegetables, fruits, grains), because with any treatment the products lose a significant part of the life-giving energy and flavor.
- Eat when hungry. For ayurveda, traditional breakfast, lunch and dinner are not authorities. She recommends eating when you are hungry. The body knows best when to eat. However, this rule does not apply to cases involving a violation of appetite: "Eat when your body tells you" does not mean "overeat". The only time limit applies to breakfast - The first time is recommended to eat until 8 am
- Adhere to the principles of product compatibility. In ancient India, it was well known that the combination of foods within one meal noticeably affects how well or poorly digested food is. According to Ayurveda, you need to eat fruits, starch, proteins and fats separately, at different times of the day.
Here are some examples:
- use milk or yoghurt separately from sour fruits or citrus fruits,
- use fruit separately from potatoes and other starchy foods (fructose is digested quickly enough, and starch is not),
- Eat a melon separately from grains and milk (melons are generally not advisable to combine with any kind of food).
- Take a break from eating. According to Ayurveda, once a week you should “rest” from heavy food. According to the testimony of those who practice one-day fasting, it is not easy to get used to the restrictions, but over time a feeling of lightness and “floating” appears and you begin to understand the beauty of this principle. To learn how to starve, read the article Fasting on Ayurveda Teaching.
- Include in the diet all 6 tastes. A balanced diet should include all six tastes (sweet, salty, sour, spicy, astringent and bitter) at each meal. However, there is no need to overload one dish: some herbs or hot spices will give the missing flavor shade (see clause 7). It is also not recommended to adhere to the same set of tastes day after day. Let your body enjoy the whole palette of tastes, and he will be grateful to you.
- Do not ignore the spices. There are plenty of spices in Indian cuisine, and they are useful not only for the taste of the dish, but also for the body, because there are a lot of valuable substances in natural seasonings. However, you should not overdo it - you can easily spoil the dish.
- Trust intuition. Although Ayurvedic texts contain detailed lists of products that correspond to particular qualities and tastes, remember: this knowledge is originally present in you. If you are in balance, if you live in harmony with nature, you will want exactly the food that your body most needs at the moment. If you are attracted to food, after which there is physical or emotional discomfort, this means that the balance is disturbed. The simplest way to get it back is to start re-using all six tastes, moving away from your one-sided addictions. Over time, you will notice that you like the useful no less, which means the balance is restored. It does not need to sacrifice their favorite dishes, because every bit of food you eat, changes your mental state. You are naturally attracted by those foods and dishes that create the desired state of mind. When there is doubt in the choice, just remember what kind of food you prefer, when you feel good.
- Eat in a good mood. "When I eat, I am deaf and dumb," they have long spoken in Russia. And they say it is absolutely correct, because a calm even meal ensures its normal absorption and good mood throughout the day. Food consumes the energy of our thoughts, so at the table think only about good, and if you cannot stop the flow of negative thoughts and emotions, give up eating for a while: now it will not benefit you.
- Do not hurry. This is a very simple but important rule for eating. Eating slowly is even more important than paying attention to what you eat. Favorable food, not chewed properly, does not benefit. And if you do not extract all the nutrients from the foods consumed, you are poisoning your body. If, due to external circumstances, you have to eat not very nutritious foods, but you eat them slowly, and your digestive system is in good condition, the body will still benefit from food and eliminate all toxins. So, according to ayurveda, the system of self-tuning of the body works.
Ayurveda says that every person is endowed with enough energy to be healthy, and reveals to us the knowledge of restoring health through the study and understanding of the characteristics of the body and its needs.-
According to Ayurveda, for good health, you need to follow a proper diet and develop sustainable daily healthy habits. Of great importance is the traditional practice of yoga, and breathing exercises. The importance is also contained in spiritual practice, which is capable of creating harmony, well-being, which brings with it peace of mind, on which health so strongly depends.
- The diet should be selected according to the individual constitution.When a person knows the constitution of the body and knows the qualities of different foods, then it will be possible to choose the appropriate diet. Read more about this in the article Basic Energy Types in Ayurveda.
- For better digestion of food and to improve the taste of the food itself, Sprinkle your dishes with lemon juice before drinking.. Such a move will turn your dishes from ordinary and familiar to very fresh and tasty. But this can only be done at lunch, because consuming large amounts of sour taste in the morning or evening will cause indigestion.
- For not to freeze in winter, eat sauerkraut and pickles at lunch. Their sour taste in our body, when absorbed, gives warmth.
- It is better to use ghee for frying(ghee), followed by corn oil, because it is longer and better than other oils tolerates a high temperature without decomposing. In third place is sunflower oil, it collapses when heated faster than corn oil. But olive and flaxseed oils do not tolerate heating at all, since decompose and form harmful substances during frying. The king of oils is ghee, it perfectly tolerates even repeated heating and has a very positive effect on our body and on digestion in particular.
- If you want your dishes to contain more blissful qualities and give you more good emotions - add a small amount of sugar to each dish in the middle of cooking (even in salty dishes) and a bit of whole cow milk (if the dish itself does not contain dairy products). And tomato dishes always require the addition of sugar, because sugar improves the taste of tomatoes, softens their inner fire and generally improves their digestion.
- Best and healthy food - the one that was cooked no later than 3 hours ago. This food is good and nourishes the body in the best way. Food that has been cooked more than 3 hours ago already has an admixture of ignorance and is unable to heal the body. If you eat only food that has stayed overnight (even in the refrigerator), then health problems will never leave you, because such food already decomposes, although we will not notice it, and when it warms up, the decomposition mechanism accelerates and at the same time the oils contained in it, when destroyed by repeated heat treatment can turn into toxins.
- Canned food contains nothing good.from the original product, i.e. there is only an empty shell with a weak taste, and what feeds our mind and body - Prana - is no longer there. Plus, preservatives are always toxins for our body. Frozen food is also not valuable for us, it accelerates the aging process in our body.
- In our morning food, sweet taste should prevail, in the evening (if someone eats in the evening) - neutral taste (i.e., products that contain a lot of water, hence the taste will be neutral), but at lunch everything should be present in food 6 tastes - sweet, sour, salty, bitter, sharp, tart. When food has 6 tastes, it completely nourishes the body and mind.
- In order to enrich our regular food with different tastes and improve its digestion - must apply spices, BUT !, in small doses and only those that are suitable for you, and only with those products with which they are combined.
- In one meal, it is better not to eat products that are incompatible with each other, for example, to eat bread, potatoes, rice and oats together, or to mix boiled or fresh vegetables with fresh fruit, or to mix milk with something else, or sour fruits with sweet ones.
- The cook who prepares the food must be calm and peaceful, otherwise, all his worries or irritations with anger will end up in the food that he does, because the food being prepared absorbs the mood and thoughts of the manufacturer. On the same occasion, it is better not to eat in doubtful places when you do not know who and how prepared the food. The same applies to the purchase of ready-made food in stores. Especially strongly absorbs the emotions of the cook all bakery products and pastries.
- Eating should also be calm and in a good mood., in a pleasant company and in a clean place, it contributes to its assimilation. Otherwise, everything that was eaten in anxiety will bring suffering and new anxieties. It is very important to chew food well.
- The healthiest food- freshly prepared, juicy, sweet, oily, tasty, warm - it gives strength and health. Too hot, too sour, too hot, salty, overcooked, dry and old food - brings body and mind suffering and illness.
- Very important for health eat only when you feel true hunger, and not from the "greedy eyes." And the amount of food eaten at a time should not exceed the volume of your two palms folded together.
- It is necessary to eat moderately, without overeating, always leaving in the stomach a part free for air, without which the fire of digestion will not burn, and 2/4 parts can be filled with food and liquid.
- For, to remove from food all the defilements that she received while she came to your table, you need to read the prayers over her any religion you respect and thank God for everything.
- When buying food, choose only ripe, juicy fruits or vegetables, fresh dairy products and grains. Never do not save on food, because it is a contribution to your health for many years.
- Do not drink cold drinks while eating and do not eat cold food, because this greatly weakens the fire of digestion.
- Do not eat at a later time (after sunset or early in the morning before sunrise), do not eat during intense heat or sitting directly under the rays of the hot afternoon sun.
- Be sure to eat sitting or on the floor, or in a comfortable position at a table with a straight back, after eating to sit for another 5 minutes quietly, otherwise too vigorous activity immediately after eating will disrupt digestion.
- Drink better before meals or while eating(warm or hot drink), but a small amount, and after eating you have to wait 1.5-2 hours while the active phase of digestion is going on, and then you can drink it, otherwise you can put out the fire of digestion.
- Choosing food, it is necessary to take into account the season and weather, because our fire digestion depends on it. Those. it is not necessary to eat plentifully fruits or berries not in the season of their ripening in the area where you live, because they are hard for the body to digest, which is tuned to a different rhythm corresponding to the present season. And also it is not necessary in hot weather or in the rainy season, when our fire of digestion decreases, to eat large quantities of starchy and dairy products, because they are not digested.
- It is not recommended to eat many different dishes at one meal, because our fire digestion will not be able to cope with all.
- The diet should be selected for each person individually, depending on his constitution, existing diseases, occupation, place of residence and other factors.
Diet and Digestion
- A teaspoon of freshly grated ginger with a pinch of salt is good for appetite.
- Drinking lassi (buttermilk) with a pinch of ginger or cumin powder helps in digestion.
- A teaspoon of ghee with rice helps digestion.
- A glass of raw warm milk with ginger, drunk before bedtime, nourishes the body and calms the mind.
- Overeating is unhealthy.
- Drinking water immediately before or after eating is unfavorable for digestion.
- A long post is harmful to health.
- Excessive water consumption can create obesity.
- Drinking too much cold drinks reduces resistance and creates an excess of bile.
- Store water in copper vessels or throw a copper coin into the water. Such water is favorable for the liver and spleen.
- Sleeping after lunch increases kapha and body weight.
Follow these Ayurveda tips, and you will see how your well-being begins to change, lightness and vitality gradually appear!
According to Dr. Ayurveda O. Torsunov
According to the site vk.com