Why stabs in the left side of the abdomen? Often, these symptoms are caused by relatively innocuous causes, such as food intolerance. But since serious organs are located on the left side of the abdomen, such pains can equally mean large health problems or even a heart attack.
Tolley lower abdomen to the left: reasons
Pain, regardless of shape and location, is always a sign that pathological changes occur in our body. On the one hand, do not get hung up, especially since the pain in the left part of the abdominal cavity is a fairly common phenomenon. You can conduct a self-test, lie down - and everything will pass. But, on the other hand, one cannot ignore the painful symptoms, because in fact we neglect our own health.
If you feel a stabbing pain in the left abdomen, you should not ignore it, especially when the following symptoms are observed:
- Pains are permanent or appear immediately after eating. A person experiences not just a little discomfort, which periodically disappears and appears within a few hours, but regular stitching pain.
- In addition to pain, you feel a burning sensation, and the nature of the pain is intense enough that you cannot think about anything else.
- When you take a painkiller to ease the pain, it disappears for a while, and then reappears with even greater strength after a few hours or the next day.
- When pain is accompanied by fever, nausea, vomiting, bleeding, irregular blood pressure.
Remember that only the doctor is the only one who can give you the correct diagnosis.
Why is stabbing the left side of the abdomen? As we have said, there are a lot of vital organs on this side, so the causes of such pain can be varied. Here are the main ones:
- Very often, pain of this nature indicates a disease of the colon - the so-called diverticulosis. This inflammation in the mucous membrane of the protrusions of the colon or small intestine, which are called diverticula. Experts see the causes of this disease mainly in low fiber content in the patient’s diet.
- Complaints of colitis in the lower abdomen on the left in women are more likely to indicate inflammation of the fallopian tubes or ovaries. It may also be an ovarian cyst.
- In women of any age, pain in the lower left corner of the abdomen may be due to abdominal shingles. In this case, they are accompanied by vomiting, sweating and a burning sensation in the lower left.
- In women at a younger age or in nonpartine pains of this nature may accompany the onset of the menstrual cycle.
- Intestinal obstruction. In this case, in addition to the pain, there is a burning sensation, the impossibility of releasing gases or defecation.
- Stones in the kidneys. They can form in the body without showing obvious symptoms until a certain time. But at some point the size of the stones becomes such that they begin to cause pain.
- Testicular torsion, that is, turning the testicle around its axis with a cord twisting. In some men, this phenomenon occurs due to anatomical predisposition. This pathology requires immediate medical attention, because it is fraught with the death of testicular tissue.
- Chronic prostatitis, men most often suffer from it in old age.
- Venous thrombosis in the pelvic region. Accompanied by swelling of the legs, pain in the abdomen and groin.
In addition to all of the above, in women, acute pain in the lower left abdominal segment can be accompanied by such pathologies as:
- inflammation of the uterus;
- reproductive organ cancer;
- prolapse of the uterus;
- psychosomatic pain.
What do these symptoms say during pregnancy?
Any abdominal pain in pregnant women should be a signal for an urgent appeal to the gynecologist. The slightest negligence can have fatal consequences for both mother and child. Causes of colic in the left side of the abdomen during pregnancy can be:
- Pain of non-pathological nature. They bother most pregnant women at different stages. This is mainly pelvic ligament syndrome, which is characterized by a feeling of tightness in the lower abdomen. Usually pain appears when moving, which primarily complicates walking.
- Pathology-related pains include ectopic pregnancy, spontaneous abortion, and ovarian twisting.
Diagnosis and treatment
The nature of the pain, the accompanying symptoms, the medical history, your detailed account of the location and intensity of the sensations will provide the doctor with important clues about the possible causes of the disease. The doctor will examine and palpate your abdomen to check for the location of the pain, and note the presence of associated symptoms.
Depending on the situation, the patient may be hospitalized, for example, if an acute appendix is suspected, or sent for further examination to a specialist - gynecologist, gastroenterologist or urologist. It may also involve an orthopedist, a neurologist or a psychotherapist.
A more complete examination to confirm the primary diagnosis may include such methods:
- scanning of the abdominal organs;
- laboratory tests of blood, urine or vaginal secretions;
- pregnancy test;
- x-ray of the urinary tract;
As you understand, in the presence of such a bouquet of possible diseases with left-sided abdominal pain, treatment will depend on the specific reason established during the diagnosis. This may be antibacterial therapy in inflammatory processes, and surgery for severe and chronic cases of disease.
This article contains only general information and cannot be used for self-diagnosis or treatment. In any case, you need to contact your healthcare professional. Be healthy!