Chronic appendicitis is a pathological condition in which inflammation of the appendicular process is observed. The disease is more prone to women than men. Most often it is due to the fact that in the past a person already had an acute form of this disease.
Chronic appendicitis, the symptoms of which in adults are changeable and diffuse, can have dire consequences. Therefore, you should know how pains appendicitis, what are the signs of chronic appendicitis, especially since women have their own symptoms.
Why does chronic appendicitis develop?
The disease is caused by inflammation of the appendix. Classify several stages of pathology:
- primary chronic. There is a sluggish inflammatory process, not turning into an acute form. The diagnosis is established as a result of laboratory research. Their goal is to eliminate other diseases that could contribute to painful manifestations in the right side of the abdomen;
- secondary chronic stage. It occurs in patients who have had acute appendicitis. If the patient was not provided with qualified medical care, connective tissue is formed in the process. Impaired function of the appendicular wall leads to a decrease in the resistance of tissues to bacteria in the feces. There is a mild inflammation that lasts for years. Passive infection can exacerbate and provoke an acute form of appendicitis.
The clinical picture of the disease of adults
The clinical picture of the chronic form of pathology is characterized by variability. The disease is mainly manifested by sluggish inflammation. Patients complain of aching pain, accompanied by attacks in the right side of the abdomen. Pain can spread to the iliac region and the area near the navel. Often the pain gives back, right leg. The way appendicitis hurts is due to the peculiarities of the physiology and localization of the appendix in different people.
Soreness may increase with heavy loads (due to increased pressure inside the peritoneum), at the time of emptying, with coughing. Observed changes in the gastrointestinal tract - constipation and diarrhea. In case of aggravation, vomiting and nausea occur.
Symptoms in women
Many women have a non-standard location of the appendix (for example, near the liver), which complicates the symptoms of the disease and diagnosis. In pregnant women, it almost always moves to the pelvis, which is why doctors often confuse chronic appendicitis with inflammation of the appendages and other gynecological diseases.
Initially, the signs of appendicitis in women are manifested by pain from the gastrointestinal tract. The pain spreads to the right lower abdomen and is aggravated by gynecological examination. During the period of hormonal changes (for example, during pregnancy or menstruation), the pain is pronounced, localized in the region of the ovaries and vagina. Against the background of appendicitis, a violation of the cycle occurs. In the process of intimacy and after it there are cramps, there are severe pains in the vagina. If during inspiration, coughing, pain increases, you should definitely contact a specialist.
How is pathology diagnosed?
Since chronic appendicitis has blurred symptoms, it should be differentiated from peptic ulcer disease, colitis, inflammation of the ovaries and other gynecological pathologies. In order to establish an accurate diagnosis, a number of studies are needed:
- history of the disease. If, according to the patient, there have already been several acute attacks, then it can be argued that the pathology has a chronic form;
- medical examination. During it, painful sensations arise in the right side of the abdomen;
- urine and blood test. Thanks to them, appendicitis can be disproved or confirmed;
- Ultrasound of the peritoneal organs. With a complex clinical picture, it excludes other diseases of the associated organs;
- CT scan;
- laparoscopy. Introduction of a probe with a camera at the end through a slit is an informative procedure, in which it is possible to immediately remove the appendix.
What are the methods of treatment?
With prolonged pain syndrome and diagnosis, surgical treatment is indicated. The operation is to remove the appendix - appendectomy.
During laparoscopy, several incisions are made in the peritoneum with the introduction of a thin tube, which is equipped with a camera. In the process of research, the state of the process and the associated organs is determined. When inflammation of the appendix is removed surgically. This is a modern operation, after which the scars are not so noticeable, the patient is recovering much faster. After the manipulation, antibiotics are prescribed.
Conservative therapy is indicated for patients with mild symptoms. It consists in carrying out physiotherapeutic procedures, the use of antispasmodic drugs, and the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders.
Is it possible to prevent the occurrence of chronic appendicitis?
Today in medicine there is no effective method of preventing disease. But following certain recommendations will help preserve health:
- rational nutrition, which consists in frequent and fractional eating, eating fruits and vegetables, a large amount of liquid;
- active lifestyle with physical exertion;
- exercises to strengthen the abdominal muscles;
- control of the gastrointestinal tract;
- strengthening the immune system;
- If the symptoms of chronic appendicitis bother a woman during pregnancy, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
What is the prognosis for treatment and its absence?
After removal of the process, the symptoms of the disease disappear. If the surgery is not done in time, chronic appendicitis can become gangrenous, which can lead to blood poisoning.
Chronic appendicitis, the symptoms of which in adults are mild, requires immediate attention to a specialist and diagnostic measures. From the timeliness of the implementation of all actions for the diagnosis and treatment depends on the life of the patient.