If your baby is crying and often rubs his eyes or complains about the feeling of “sand” in them, then you shouldn’t hesitate, you need to go to the hospital urgently! Most likely - this is conjunctivitis. The disease is an inflammation of the mucous membrane that covers the inner surface of the eyelid. The causes of illness can be very different: from infections and viruses to allergies.
Why does a child's eyes fester?
There are several types of conjunctivitis, each of them is accompanied by a certain number of symptoms.
Viral conjunctivitis most often accompanies ARVI, acute respiratory infections or influenza, in general - 1 of infectious diseases. The source may be not completely cured throat after adenoditis or sore throat, sinusitis. With this type of disease mucous discharge from the eyes is formed. If the baby has measles, the risk of conjunctivitis increases, and in this case the fear of light also joins the usual symptoms of the disease.
Adenoviral conjunctivitis is the most contagious and common type of disease. In the first place, the child's body temperature rises, appetite disappears and headaches begin. Then the temperature decreases, and the baby on visible signs is recovering. But then it rises again, the eyes begin to redden, although there is very little or no discharge from them. Also, the child has lymph nodes, a runny nose, and a sore throat. In viral infections, the sensitivity of the eyes decreases - the baby will not complain of tearing and burning. Such conjunctivitis is treated with interferon, poludanom, as well as by laying in the lower eyelid florenalevoy or tebrofenovoy ointment.
For herpes conjunctivitis characterized by the appearance around the eyes and at the edges of the eyelids bubbles. Also, the baby has a fear of light and tearing. When treating acyclovir is used, both inside and out.
Staphylococcal and pneumococcal conjunctivitis develops rapidly, first affecting 1 eye, and then the 2nd. At the same time they redden, pus begins to stand out.
Gonococcal conjunctivitis most often affects newborn babies 2-3 days after birth. Its source is the birth canal of the mother, the items of care or medical personnel. A large amount of mucus is released from the eyes of a child. Because the eyelids swell a lot, they barely open. This type of disease is very dangerous, if you do not start it in time to heal, eye inflammation or endophthalmitis can occur.
Diphtheria conjunctivitis is different from others. A strong swelling and the appearance of films on the eyelids. If you start to remove the film, it may remain scars or go to the blood. To prevent this, you need to wait until they disappear themselves - in about a week or 10 days.
Allergic conjunctivitis is characterized by the fact that they occur at a certain time of the year: at the end of winter or at the beginning of spring. Immediately affect both eyes, can also cause a runny nose. By the way, they are sick most often boys. The child often complains of itching. In the first place, the child needs to wear sunglasses and 2-3 times a day should be instilled special anti-allergic drops and use immune preparations, but only after they are appointed by a qualified specialist!
How to treat a baby at home?
In young children, the course of the disease is not as it is in adults. The kid loses his appetite and sleep, often naughty. In the morning his eyelids are glued together, yellow crusts form on them. There may be a fear of light, tears and festering eyes. If you delay the lower eyelid, it is often visible redness and swelling.
It must be remembered that newborns do not have tears, so any discharge from the eyes can be a sign of disease. Older children complain of burning, pain and feeling of sand in the eyes. The clarity of vision may deteriorate. In children under the age of 7 years, the disease is very acute. Since during this period children all play together and are not yet fully capable of self-respecting the rules of personal hygiene, the infection — the pathogen can easily be transmitted from one to the other.
If you find any changes in the condition of the child’s eyes, he should immediately be taken to the doctor. If there is no opportunity to go to a doctor immediately, then the baby should be given first aid on its own:
- After every 2 hours for 1 day, rinse eyes - remove with a cotton swab dipped in a warm solution of chamomile or furatsilina crusted with eyelids. For every eye you need to take a new tampon - this is important! Rinse need from the edge of the eyelid to the nose;
- During the next week, it is also necessary to perform an eye wash, only already 2-3 times a day;
- Disinfectant drops should be instilled into the eyes every 2-4 hours. You can use the solution of albucid (for newborns - 10%, and for older children - 20%) or other solutions of the same pharmacological action. 0.25% solution levometsitina, fucitalmic, vitabact, eubital, colbiocin. There are also special ointments - 1% tetracycline, 1% erythromycin, tobrex. By the way, kids are better tolerated ointment than drops, because from them the eyes are not irritated and do not pinch;
- As the disease progresses, the number of instillations can be reduced to 3-4 per day.
All procedures should be carried out on both eyes, even if the redness was formed only on the 1st, because the disease spreads very quickly. In the treatment of bacterial and viral conjunctivitis most often prescribed special eye drops - albucid, ophthalmoferon or tetracycline ointment.
In any case, only an oculist or pediatrician can prescribe the correct treatment, it is impossible to self-medicate in this situation. Also, do not impose a bandage on purulent eyes - under it the disease will only progress. After all, it creates all the conditions for this, namely, moisture and heat.
Causes of pathology in the newborn
- A disease like conjunctivitis can affect people of all age groups, including newborn babies. But if the crumbs appeared discharge from the eyes, it is not at all necessary that he became infected with this ailment. In the first year of life, children are subject to impaired patency of the lacrimal canal, which did not open during birth. And the symptoms of this condition are very similar to the symptoms of conjunctivitis.
- Most likely that the cause of the problems with the eyes of the baby is inflammation of the lacrimal sac - dacryocystitis. To treat it in newborns, topical anti-inflammatory drugs are used. Also, a massage of the lacrimal canal, which the mother can perform independently. The doctor should teach her the technique of this massage. If massage manipulations have not brought a positive effect, then specialists usually prescribe a sounding of the tear channel.
Purulent eyes in children is a serious problem, which can result in many negative consequences due to improper and untimely treatment. It can even lead to loss of vision! Therefore, when the first symptoms of conjunctivitis appear, you should immediately go to the hospital.