After giving birth, a nursing mother is required to follow a diet even more stringent than during pregnancy. The list of prohibitions includes not only food, but also some drinks. Coffee and strong tea should be excluded from the menu. But whether it is possible to cocoa when breastfeeding - still remains in question.
The debate about the benefits and dangers of physicians began from the moment the drink became popular, and continues to this day. Most doctors believe that you can drink it a little if you follow the rules of feeding and closely monitor the child's reaction to this product.
To drink or not drink cocoa nursing mom?
Historians claim that cocoa was known in the days of the ancient Indian tribes, and even then it was called the "drink of the gods." To prepare it, you need to take a glass of hot milk and one or several spoons of cocoa powder and mix them - you get a composition that is loved by so many. If a woman drank it before the birth of a child, then during lactation she, too, will surely want to pamper herself. But is it possible for nursing mother cocoa - with and without milk?
It is difficult to give an unequivocal answer. Like other milk-based beverages, cocoa definitely improves lactation, especially if consumed before feeding. However, it is precisely at this time that one should not drink it - from the point of view that, in addition to increasing the amount of "natural product", the possibility of an allergic rash in a child increases many times. For the same reason, doctors advise you to forget about chocolate for a while.
And yet, lovers of the "drink of the gods" can drink cocoa while breastfeeding, while observing the main recommendations of experts:
- start to enter it into the diet only after the baby is one month old. After this period, he is no longer susceptible to allergies;
- use cocoa at the beginning of the day. In this case, mom will have the opportunity to observe the reaction of the baby;
- use for cooking milk, diluted by half with water;
- add no more than 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder to a glass;
- follow the rule - one mug per day, 2-3 times a week.
Thus, with a reasonable approach to business and compliance with medical recommendations, the question of whether a nursing mother can be cacao is decided positively. The main thing is to carefully observe the child while drinking, returning to him only a few months after birth.
The benefits and harm of the "drink of the gods"
The biggest advantage of cocoa over other invigorating drinks is its pleasant taste combined with milk. In addition, scientists argue that it leads to the production of endorphins - the well-known "hormones of happiness." And this is exactly what a nursing woman needs, often suffering from constant overwork and sometimes from postpartum depression.
To understand why a drink acts like this, you need to know its composition. Cocoa contains many different "special" substances:
- caffeine, which is able to have a stimulating effect on the nervous system of the mother and child. That it has strong allergenic properties. However, compared to coffee, its content in cocoa is 12-15 times less;
- Theobromine is a strong alkaloid that removes calcium from the body if it is consumed in large quantities. He also has positive properties: it improves brain function, is useful for coughing, tones;
- vitamins B3, B6, PP;
- trace elements: calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, copper, molybdenum;
- organic acids and dietary fiber
In other words, the composition of the drink is varied and mainly contains beneficial substances, but at the same time it can lead to allergies and interfere with the restful sleep of the child. However, when cocoa is used, the health benefits and harms are governed by a reasonable approach and respect for the sense of proportion.
Feeding a child is a difficult and crucial period in a woman’s life. The possibility even at this time not to lose small pleasures - such as, for example, a mug of delicious cocoa, will make it a little brighter and more pleasant. The main thing is to remember the benefits and harms of the product for yourself and your baby and use it with caution.