Head injuries, of a greater or lesser degree of severity, were received in the life of practically every person. A bad fall at a gym class or a skating rink, a boyish fight or a bad landing in the ice, sometimes leads to a disruption of the brain. How to assess the severity of the injury? What you need to know about concussion: symptoms, home treatment, limitations and factors contributing to the speedy recovery.
Closed TBI, which results in a short-term breakdown of any functions of the brain, is called concussion. Unfortunately, no one is immune from such misfortune: children, dabbling, pushing each other and as a result of a fall, the child is injured. An adult man, slipping into the ice, unsuccessfully hits his head. How dangerous are the resulting damage?
- Blurredness, short-term loss of consciousness, shallow syncope;
- Pallor of the skin;
- Lack of coordination, lethargy, distraction of attention.
As a rule, the ability to move independently remains, but there may be a lack of coordination, weakness. What to do with concussion? Act!
First aid to the victim
Independently distinguishing concussion and contusion of the brain is not easy. First of all, the victim must be helped:
- If there are wounds, they should be treated with hydrogen peroxide or another antiseptic, bandage, apply cold;
- If the victim feels unwell, lay him on a hard surface, on his side, his legs - bend at the knees, and his hands under his head;
- Drinking should not be given before the arrival of the ambulance, and if there are any of the above symptoms, it should be called immediately.
Often victims, especially adults and adolescents, overestimate their strength, neglecting medical care. In this case, the effects of tremors can make themselves felt in the future. There will be a sleep disorder, loss of appetite, headaches, weakness, fainting may occur.
If a child fell and hit his head, even if the height was small, and he behaves adequately, it is better to be safe and contact the emergency room, the children's clinic so that the baby is examined by a neurologist, surgeon, pediatrician.
Treatment of concussion drugs should appoint a doctor. Self-treatment, in this case, is fraught with complications and can only aggravate the disease.
Symptoms of mild concussion allow treatment at home:
- Observe strict bed rest;
- Rest, do not strain, sleep a lot;
- Observe a special diet, including plant and dairy foods, limit salt intake;
- It is recommended to abandon computer games, watching TV, noisy activities;
- Do not abuse smoking, drink alcohol, at the same time, you need to drink more fluids: herbal teas, infusions, decoctions, rich in vitamins.
Home treatment for the symptoms of a concussion of the brain is reduced to rest and restriction of movement.
Broths recommended by traditional medicine will help restore brain function:
- In equal parts they take lemon balm, mint, mistletoe and motherwort (100 g each), pour 0.5 liters of boiling water and insist overnight. Strained broth drink 3-4 times a day for 0.5 st .;
- 2 tbsp. l a mixture of valerian root, hop cones, lemon balm leaves, mint and buckthorn bark insist in 0.5 liters of boiling water a quarter of an hour. Drink infusion 4-5 times a day, be sure to take before bedtime;
- Walnut kernels are crushed and mixed with light honey. This sweet medicine is taken on 1-2 st.l. 3 times a day (if the patient has no contraindications to the use of sweet);
- A patient with a concussion is advised to drink freshly squeezed potato juice: 100-150 g at one time. Drink juice should be 1-2 times a day;
- Fresh cabbage juice is mixed with flaxseed (2 tablespoons per 1 tablespoon of liquid), infused for 20 minutes and taken twice a day.
The human brain has not been fully studied by scientists, but it is clear to everyone that if their functions are violated, a person cannot live a full life. At the slightest suspicion of concussion, you should seek medical help in order to eliminate the adverse effects of a head injury. Despite the fact that in children, the bones of the skull are thinner and more likely to receive serious brain injury, parents should remember that the compensatory capacity of the child’s body is much higher than that of an adult. Children more easily cope with injuries of this kind, but their condition during illness must be monitored by a specialist.