Despite its unique and unusual appearance, as well as belonging to ornamental plants, the fern is quite edible. Two types of fern are eaten, using both as an unusual seasoning and as an independent ingredient for salads. One of these species is the bracken fern.
What is useful fern eagle?
Immediately it is worth noting, starting a conversation about the benefits of fern, which, according to some scientists, there was an assumption that frequent changes of ordinary foods directly affect the prolongation of youth and preservation of excellent health for many years. So far this point of view has not become generally accepted, but it is worth listening to it, making decisions about the inclusion of such an unusual product as the eagle fern in the diet.
In addition, it has a very low calorie, which undoubtedly makes it a valuable food product during the period of weight loss. Its caloric content is 34 kcal. In addition, it contains almost as many proteins as carbohydrates 4.55 g and 5.54 g, respectively.
It consists of a large number of nutrients, without which the proper functioning of the human body is impossible:
- Tannins that provide good digestion and the elimination of harmful waste.
- Essential oils and acids
- Young leaves of the fern are rich in substances such as vitamins carotene, tocopherol and riboflavin.
- Its leaves contain phytosterols, catechin group substances, and catechins, mucus, and bitter glycoside in the rhizome.
- Young plants are rich in enzymes, especially thiaminase and glycosides.
- There are in it and such useful acids as nicotinic, aspartic and glutamic, as well as phenylalanine, asparagine and tyrosine.
- Such microelements as iodine, calcium, manganese, phosphorus, sodium, sulfur, magnesium, copper, nickel and potassium deserve special mention.
- The proteins that make up this fern are easily digested, in terms of the quality of the body's absorption, which resembles the properties of proteins in cereals. But the use of bracken fern, first of all, depends on the presence in its composition of a large number of biologically active elements..
Useful plant for people who spend a lot of time watching TV and a computer screen. It saves from radiation sickness and leukemia, having the necessary amount of iodine for the body. An important property of the bracken fern is its ability to quickly normalize the metabolism, accelerating the fight against obesity. It restores vitamin deficiencies in avitaminosis and relieves tension and arousal, contributing to the normalization of the pulse.
Brack Fern Application
- From the young fern leaves make magnificent and unusual salads. The plant is pickled, fried, salted for future use, using after as a seasoning for meat and fish dishes. It tastes a bit like mushrooms. Old and uncooked fern leaves do not use it at all.
- Its regular use contributes to the formation of bones, the normalization of the nervous system, metabolism, the withdrawal of radionuclides and heavy metals from the body, improving the state of the endocrine system, increasing efficiency.
- For therapeutic purposes, the leaves and rhizomes of the plant are used. A decoction of them in a strictly dosed volume is taken orally with aching in the joints, bowel and spleen diseases, chest and headache, diarrhea, tinnitus, dry pleurisy, stomach pain and even jaundice. It is also used as an anthelmintic, diuretic, laxative, antipyretic and analgesic.
- For scrofula, wounds, boils or eczema, decoction of the rhizome is applied externally. The infusion of bracken fern can be used to treat rheumatism, sciatica, with hemorrhoids, convulsions and ulcers, making warm baths with it.
Contraindications for bracken fern
But there are bracken fern and contraindications. Since it contains toxic substances, the plant should be consumed only after consulting a doctor and under the guidance of a homeopath or herbalist. Even if it seems to you that you all know about the healing fern, do not risk your health and the health of loved ones.
In no case can the bracken fern be treated during lactation and especially pregnancy. With an overdose of decoction or infusion may cause headaches, cramps, vomiting, nausea. In very serious cases - a sharp decrease in pressure, difficulty in breathing, weakening of the cardiovascular activity and, in the absence of qualified and timely assistance, even death. Therefore, as soon as any of the above symptoms have arisen or the general condition has simply worsened, it is necessary to immediately call an ambulance and wash the stomach.
For a long time, the bracken fern has become part of the daily diet of the inhabitants of Japan, Korea and the Far East. As you know, in these countries, the most common long-livers. The beneficial properties of the plant are numerous and cause well-deserved interest among adherents of proper nutrition. All you have to do is learn how to harvest it for the future and prepare delicious dishes with it.