The doctor can make an initial conclusion on the presence or absence of any health pathologies due to a comprehensive blood test. Ordinary average man cuts and numbers in the columns will tell you little, but the specialist will clearly see what the problem is. If there is a suspicion of injury to the internal organs, the doctor prescribes AST analysis. The rate in women in the blood varies throughout life, but a sharp jump will indicate in which direction to proceed.
What is AST?
The enzyme aspartate aminotransferase is synthesized by the body's cells in sufficient quantities, it participates in the metabolism, but practically does not enter the bloodstream. In the case when AST standards are raised, we are talking about serious violations in the work of internal organs.
- In myocardial infarction, a significant amount of the enzyme is released into the blood;
- In case of liver malfunction: injuries, cirrhosis, hepatitis, this indicator will also be high.
In addition, AST in the blood, the rate of which is not high during the normal functioning of the body, is controlled by prescribing medications that are potentially dangerous for liver cells.
What does a blood test say?
If the patient complains about:
- Nausea, vomiting;
- Weakness, fatigue;
- Pain in the right hypochondrium, abdomen;
- Yellow skin and eye sclera;
- Dark urine and light stools,
then the specialist prescribes the blood test AST. The norm in women depends on age.
- The girl from birth to 2 months, the upper limit is 75 units / l. This is a healthy baby, an increase in the index indicates jaundice of newborns and other pathologies;
- After 2 months to a year, AST level drops to 60 u / l;
- After a year, the numbers are still falling. Before the onset of adolescence, 13-14 years, the upper limit is 45 u / l;
- And, further, in an adult girl and woman, the AST indicator is 30-31 u / l.
It should be noted that the lower indicator is also conventionally denoted at 5 u / l, but the ratio of AST and ALT in the blood is much more important.
The norm of ALT and AST in the blood of women (in mmol) can vary depending on the patient's condition, the phase of the menstrual cycle, the drugs she takes. In addition, it is important to know that different laboratories can take for granted the different units of enzyme measurement. You should not try to decipher the figures yourself, it is better to entrust this matter to a specialist.
How to pass the analysis of AST?
In order for the blood test results for AST not to be distorted, you should prepare for the blood donation:
- At least one day does not eat fatty, smoked, salted foods;
- Give up alcohol;
- Donate blood on an empty stomach
Be sure to notify your doctor about taking medications. If they are absolutely impossible to refuse, the doses will be adjusted.
Physical activity, research, such as ultrasound, x-rays, x-rays are also excluded the day before.
Responsible approach to blood donation is the key to correctly obtained results. Only a qualified specialist will be able to assess the seriousness of the threat to health and prescribe treatment; you should not do it yourself.
Increasing the AST content in the blood, its ratio to ALT, will allow to evaluate the patient's condition and take the necessary measures. The main thing is not to panic and not to take independent attempts at treatment, since a sharp increase in AST can be caused by conditions requiring immediate action, and lost time is a missed opportunity.