Bleeding gums can be both a sign of a serious disease of the oral cavity and a signal of the development of various pathologies of internal organs. If you notice blood after brushing your teeth on a brush, it is better not to delay a visit to the doctor. Why can gums bleed and how can they be treated? Let's take a closer look at these questions.
Bleeding gums: causes and possible diseases
Periodically gums bleed in every person. Sometimes this phenomenon goes away on its own and does not require any special treatment. But there are cases when it is necessary to seek help from a specialist. That is why it is important to know the possible causes of bleeding gums.
So, the main causes of the appearance of blood on the gums are:
- Injuries to the soft tissues of the gums. This is the most common cause: blood occurs during intensive brushing of the teeth or as a result of damage to the mucous membrane of the gums because of ingestion of hard food. This also includes gum trauma due to the careless use of floss, toothpicks and other oral hygiene products. The most serious cause may be an incorrectly selected denture.
- Diseases of the gums and oral cavity. Lack of or insufficient oral hygiene can lead to the accumulation of pathogenic microbes and the formation of tartar, as a result of which diseases such as gingivitis and periodontitis occur.
- Pathology of internal organs. Acute respiratory infections, malfunctions of the gastrointestinal tract, the immune system, and diabetes can cause bleeding gums.
- Bad blood clotting. Most often, this phenomenon is caused by an insufficient amount of vitamin K in the body, at least - diseases of the spinal cord.
- Chemical irritants. If the gums bleed, then first of all it is necessary to stop smoking, drinking alcohol. The composition of tobacco and alcohol includes toxic substances that are deposited in the body and cause a number of health problems.
- Changes in the level of hormones in the blood. Disruptions in the hormonal background can be caused by pregnancy, adolescence and other factors. Usually the gums stop bleeding when hormones return to normal.
- Other factors. This may include constant stress, unbalanced diet, as well as taking certain medications.
It is very important to consult a dentist in time, because serious diseases, a symptom of which is bleeding gums, can lead to tooth loss.
The treatment of bleeding gums at an early stage is a very important point. After all, it is easier to stop the first signs of the disease than to treat complications and possible consequences. That is why you need to immediately consult a specialist. The doctor will give advice on how to properly and better carry out hygienic procedures for brushing your teeth, select the appropriate toothbrush and toothpaste. If the gums bleed into inflammation, the dentist will conduct a comprehensive examination and treatment of the oral cavity.
Modern pharmacological agents are especially important in the struggle for healthy and strong gums. In almost every pharmacy you can buy the necessary drugs. The most common form of production of such drugs - ointments and gels.
The following drugs have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties:
- "Metrogil Dent". Available in gel form, reduces pain and bleeding gums already on day 3 of use.
- Holisal. It has a beneficial effect on the gums, and the effect can be noticed within a few minutes after application.
- Kamistad. It is used as a fast-acting anesthetic. Within the first few minutes after application, numbness of the inflamed gingival area is felt. Not suitable for multiple use.
There is also a large selection of various toothpastes for bleeding gums.
Treatment with traditional medicine
You can cope with bleeding gums with the help of traditional medicine. Here are the most interesting and effective recipes.
Infusion of oak bark
- 1 tbsp. l oak bark;
- 1 tbsp. hot water.
- Mix oak with hot water and set on low heat.
- Boil the solution for 20-25 minutes.
- After this strain, let it brew for 4-5 hours.
- It is necessary to rinse the gums in the morning and evening.
Antibacterial sage infusion
- 1 tbsp. l dried sage;
- 1 tbsp. boiled hot water.
- Fill the sage with hot water and leave it for about 3-4 hours.
- Strain the broth and use for rinsing the gums. You can also make cotton lotions on the most inflamed places.
Chamomile Healing Tincture
- 2 tbsp. l field chamomile (pharmacy);
- 1 tbsp. water.
- Chamomile need to fill with water, bring to a boil over low heat.
- Then you should close the broth with a lid and let it brew for 2-3 hours.
- The decoction can be used for rinsing the gums, and use the inside of 1 tsp. 3 times a day.
Also, healers when bleeding gums are advised to rinse your mouth with a solution of baking soda, drink black radish juice, use lotions from water pepper.
Do not forget about proper nutrition. A balanced diet is required in order to include foods high in protein, vitamins and microelements. Especially important when bleeding gums are foods that are rich in calcium and phosphorus: fish, legumes, fruits and vegetables.
If you have bleeding gums, you should not be afraid to consult a dentist. Timely help will avoid complications and keep your gums and teeth healthy.