Many had bitterness in their mouth after eating. If such unpleasant sensations occur once, then you can not pay special attention to it. But if the bitterness has become a constant companion of food intake (or occurs in the morning), it's time to think about its causes. What can give such a symptom? Is poor quality food to blame for this or is it necessary to look for the reason inside yourself?
Why is the mouth bitter?
Bitterness in the mouth after eating most often indicates a disease of the digestive system. Similar manifestations are characteristic of such pathologies:
- disruption of the liver. Inflammation and pollution of this organ is quite common. Dietary chemical additives, medication, improper diet, alcohol, bad habits, stresses and infections make a negative contribution to liver damage. The result is a degeneration of organ cells, cirrhosis or allergic reactions. But the first signal that the liver requires treatment is a bitter taste;
- diseases of the gallbladder and biliary tract. These include, in particular, gastroduodenal reflux. Bitterness causes bile to enter the stomach. Cholecystitis, or inflammation of the gallbladder, can also report about itself with bitterness. Gallstone disease, in which the normal operation of the gall is obstructed by stones, also causes an unpleasant taste after each meal;
- stomach diseases (gastritis, ulcer) and duodenal ulcers;
- problems with the work of the intestine - inflammation of the colon, which ends in chronic colitis. Symptoms such as rumbling in the intestines, belching, pain in the lower abdomen may be added;
Non-GI Disease Causes
Not only failure of the digestive tract can cause bitterness. Other factors lead to this problem:
- inflammation and infections of the oral cavity (stomatitis, periodontal disease). Bitterness or a metallic taste can cause improper dental care or incompetent dental treatment;
- the use of spoiled, poor quality, containing nitrates or chemically treated products. An example would be peanut nuts. To increase the shelf life they are treated with a "slaughter" dose of chemicals. When ingested, they negatively affect the liver, pancreas and gallbladder;
- wrong diet Lovers of fatty, spicy, smoked food, mushrooms, and alcohol are most likely to meet with an unpleasant symptom, as it is difficult for the body to process such products. Meals in fast foods, where food is often prepared with rancid butter, can also cause bitterness;
- disruption of the thyroid gland. If it too actively produces hormones or, on the contrary, its activity is reduced, it will lead to stagnation of bile and the appearance of bitterness;
- prolonged or improper use of antibiotics, laxatives, antidepressants, and certain other medicines. This puts a strain on the liver and causes the body to "protest" in a bitter aftertaste;
- infection with shigella, salmonella, worms. The accumulation of toxic substances, caused by their presence, can manifest unpleasant sensations in the mouth;
- unstable psycho-emotional state, stress, feelings, depression. If a person is depressed for a long time, is anxious, nervous overstrain, etc., then in the morning, before eating, he can feel a bitter taste.
To answer why the bitterness in the mouth after eating appears regularly, an accurate medical diagnosis is necessary. It is unreasonable to neglect it, since a symptom can be the first "bell" of the body about the onset of diabetes, jaundice and even cancer.
Bitterness in the mouth after eating during pregnancy - the norm or alarm?
During childbirth, the body works in a special mode. Often, pregnant women are forced to feel bitterness in the mouth from the first days of conception to birth. This is due to natural causes, so no treatment is required.
Bitter taste is the result of hormonal changes (an increase in the amount of progesterone), which are necessary for carrying. Progesterone relaxes the valve, which prevents the gastric juice from entering the esophagus, and also slows down the digestive process.
If bitterness appears in the second half of pregnancy, this is due to an increase in the size of the fetus, which begins to put pressure on the organs of the digestive system.
How to get rid of bitterness?
If bitterness in the mouth after eating worries, treatment will be chosen according to the diagnosis. So, if this condition is caused by the formation of gallstones, they will try to dissolve them or have to remove this organ. In case of any pathologies on the part of the digestive tract organs, a diet will be prescribed, which excludes fatty, spicy, fried and smoked dishes. If bitterness is caused by nervous disorders, the doctor will prescribe soothing.
Alternative medicine offers many ways to get rid of such a symptom. For example, you can rinse your mouth with chamomile decoction or hold vegetable oil in your mouth, after which you should spit it out and rinse your mouth with a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
To cure bitterness, you can try this recipe: grate horseradish and mix it with milk in the ratio of 1 to 10. Heat the composition. Infuse for at least 15 minutes. Then strain. Take 1 sip from 5 to 6 times a day for 3 days.
If the bitterness is caused by diseases of the stomach, then it is helpful in the morning on an empty stomach to drink ½ tbsp. freshly made potato juice.
To help the liver, you should prepare beet juice, let it stand for 2-3 hours, add 2 tbsp. honey Drink ½ tbsp. 2 times a day. This composition will also help: grind 2 lemons together with the peel in a meat grinder (remove seeds first), mix with 500 g of honey and 100 g of olive oil, keep cold. Drink 1 tbsp. l 30 minutes before meals.
To improve the condition of this organ, the menu should include raisins, chicory, figs. It is useful to eat cottage cheese, drink a decoction of currant leaves (black) and eat по tsp. dandelion root (crushed, washed down with boiled water).
To put in order the nerves, you can drink valerian, motherwort, peony tincture.
How to prevent the "bitter" symptom?
So that the body does not have to remind of its ill health by changing the taste sensations, it is necessary to eat less fried, floury, fatty foods, not to abuse spicy spices. It is better to exclude from the menu alcoholic beverages, coffee, strong tea. It is worth quitting. It is better to eat food in small portions, from 5 to 6 times a day.
For the intestines will be useful vegetables, fruits, buckwheat porridge. To prevent the appearance of bitterness, you should drink at least 2 liters of pure water daily.
It is unwise to try to solve this problem with chewing gum or lozenges. This will only mute the bitterness in the mouth after eating. Treatment of the underlying disease, which makes itself felt like a similar symptom, it is better to start with the diagnosis. Gastroscopy, ultrasound, blood and urine tests will help to name the exact cause of bitterness. And only then it becomes clear whether it is possible to turn to folk remedies or require professional medical treatment.