With the arrival of rainy and cool autumn, young children are much more likely to catch colds. Doctor's diagnosis: acute respiratory viral infection. Parents are surprised: how so? Recently, this path has passed. And the secret is that there is a variety of viruses that cause such diseases. That is, each time the "instigator" of such a disease changes.
The most well-known disease from the group of acute respiratory viral infections is an adenoviral infection in children, characterized by specific symptoms: poisoning, fever and damage to the upper mucous respiratory tract. In addition, the flow includes the lymphatic system and conjunctiva of the eye. Children of the younger age group are most susceptible to adenovirus infection, more difficult to treat.
Factors leading to adenovirus infection
The disease can come to every child of any age group. Extremely serious infectious disease occurs in children up to three years. The risk of falling ill increases during the autumn-winter period, when there are threats of disease among children in the same team. However, this does not exclude one-time cases recorded during the year.
This virus is resistant to the environment:
- in room temperature mode it can “live” for several weeks, especially if the room is not ventilated;
- retains all its viable functions and painful properties even after double freezing;
- withstands the heating process (approximately 30 minutes).
However, there are ways that can kill him - boiling and ultraviolet light.
The vector of the disease is a sick child or adult. The virus "exits" from the diseased organism by nasal discharge or feces. Also transmitted by airborne droplets, through conversation, coughing, sneezing, with the deep breathing of a sick person. It is the first few weeks that are considered the most dangerous for the further spread of the virus.
Methods of transmission:
- by air;
- oral and fecal;
- by water.
In a group of children, infection usually occurs through the air: the virus is present in the airspace, on children's toys and other objects, from where it can return to the air.
Swimming in open water and swallowing water, even the smallest, can also be infected. Infection can also come with food; it is enough not to follow standard hygiene rules (for example, to eat food with unwashed hands). Oral infection can be infected if the child licked toys that are infected.
The minimum of the incubation period is up to two days, the maximum is up to one and a half weeks. And although the baby does not feel ill, it still presents a danger, since the virus is released.
Symptoms of adenoviral disease
This adenovirus comes in three types: light, heavy and medium. The disease occurs abruptly: a rapid jump in temperature, a stuffy nose, a pain and a sore throat, it becomes painful to swallow. Small signs of intoxication appear: appetite disappears, there is a weakness and a headache, the baby begins to act up, becomes sluggish. At the peak of a feverish state, seizures are possible.
Nasal discharge appears, gradually flowing into green. A sick child can only breathe through the mouth, which causes dry mouth and micro cracks in the lips.
Often are such manifestations of adenovirus as nausea, pain in the abdomen, increased gas formation, emetic urge, loose stools up to five times per day. But, impurities (blood, mucus) in the stool is not observed. A cough appears, which from the dry stage quickly flows into the wet. A characteristic sign of adenovirus infection in children is conjunctivitis.
Of all the symptoms, Dr. Komarovsky focuses on a couple of syndromes:
- respiratory disorders;
- pharyngoconjunctival fever syndrome.
Methods of treating adenovirus infection
In most cases, such an infection is treated at home. Only children are taken to the hospital, who have picked up a heavy type of infection or have developed complications due to illness.
There is no special treatment. Anti-virus drugs also do not have a pronounced purpose. In this regard, treatment is carried out on the symptoms:
- means of lowering the temperature, give only from 38.5 degrees, only in those cases if the child has a predisposition to seizures. Children can be given noferon or paracetomol in the right dosage for their age and only when prescribed by a doctor. To give a therapeutic drug only if the temperature rises, and not on a regular basis. You can give the child some tea so that he can be thrown into sweat; with a dry cough drink alkaline drink, drugs that affect the cough, can not be taken;
- if eye damage has occurred, then rinsing is indispensable. Wash with lightly brewed tea, furatsilinom, chamomile decoction;
- the stuffy nose is washed with sea water, saline. If prescribed by a doctor, then take drops, narrowing blood vessels;
- gargling with a decoction of chamomile;
- to strengthen the body, prescribed vitamins, decoction of wild rose.
In conclusion, we can say that adenovirus infection is widespread, young children are most at risk. In the acute period of the disease it is necessary to consult a doctor and follow all recommendations issued. Do not self-medicate, so as not to aggravate the situation.