It would seem that 40 days without food, and sometimes without water - is it not suicide ?! However, there are a sufficient number of survivors, and this is not only Christ, Buddha, etc., but people living among us. Collecting information on this topic, I made sure that such a long fasting is not fatal, whatever my mother says!
By the way, the mention of my mother was by no means accidental, as far as I remember, every time I tried therapeutic hunger, she stood above my soul or demanding to stop the "foolish experiences" or with meatballs. Therefore, if you seriously intend to practice fasting, first of all you should mentally prepare your inner circle for this. This is a very important factor, because constant altercations with your loved ones will throw you into stress and all practice instead of benefit will harm your health and mental balance.
The golden rule: the fewer people in the course, the better! The closest should realize the importance of fasting for you personally, so you should calmly bring this information to their consciousness. Perhaps this will take a lot of time, but you cannot start fasting in a hostile environment. The main thing is that you are not suspected of mental illness, so be calm and confident. Argue your position. Spend several sessions of short-term fasting (from 1 day to a week), relatives should get used to this practice and make sure that it does not pose a threat to your health.
Does it make sense?
The benefit of starvation was substantiated by Paul Breg in his book The Miracle of Starvation. The revolutionary idea of this work was that hunger can be treated. Long-term abstinence from food saves energy, which is spent on the work of the digestive system, cleanse the body of toxins, overcome diseases and contributes to longevity. I will not retell the work of P. Brega, but I would like to note, not only in the ancient practices of the priests of Egypt and Indian yogis, but in the modern world there were also supporters of abstaining from food for medicinal purposes. The author of the method itself was starving according to the following scheme: once a week a daily fasting and ten times a day four times a year. But P.Breg conducted and longer courses: 20-40 days, emphasizing at the same time that this kind of fasting should be carried out under the supervision of specialists.
In yoga practice, fasting is used as a means of cleansing the body and mind. They share a long (from 10 to 40 days), an average duration (from 2 to 10 days) and a short-term (36 or 24 hours) fasting. It is better to start with the latter and only when it becomes a regular, weekly practice, you can move on to longer types. It is important to note that yogis hold fasting on water, otherwise self-poisoning of the body is possible. For this, the habit of drinking 10-12 glasses of purified water per day should be formed.
Water is required for fasting, preferably distilled water, i.e. purified from other impurities.
Rules of yoga fasting
- Time is determined individually, but spring is best suited for fasting.
- The time of preparation for swallowing and leaving it should be equal to the very period of prano-knowledge (this is how the body perceives prolonged abstinence from food, eats prana). Preparation consists in gradually reducing servings, and the amount of food consumed per day, the output is all the same, but in the reverse order.
- Water consumption is mandatory, because allows you to display the decay products. The number is individual - if you drink too little, there may be headaches, sleep disorders, etc., if there is too much - there is an additional load on the kidneys (as a result, puffiness) and the cardiovascular system (tachycardia).
- During fasting, it is necessary to clean off the plaque, which is formed on the tongue (you can use a teaspoon for this). The color of the tongue should be even.
- Watch the taste of saliva, if there is bitterness, toxins have not left the body, if the saliva is clean, you can start to go out of starvation.
- If the state of health begins to deteriorate sharply: the ability to move independently is lost, numbness of the extremities occurs, severe nausea, etc., fasting should be stopped.
See also: Cyclic fasting.
Accompanying spiritual practice is essential - abstaining from evil thoughts, anger, and destructive emotions. And also: meditation, work with consciousness, development of concentration and self-analysis.