In good old England no feast is complete without Worcestershire sauce. Moreover, the table on which there is no this magical addition to the dishes is considered poor. Having tasted a dish flavored with this sauce in the restaurant, you probably want to Have a Worcester sauce in your kitchen's arsenal of spices.. However, it is not only difficult to cook at home (the original sauce is almost impossible to cook at home), it is not possible to get it at every store.
History of Worcestershire Sauce
The very history of the creation of this sauce is somewhat unusual. There is a version that back in 1837, the former governor of Bengal brought to his native Worcester a recipe for Indian sauce, which he liked very much when he served in this country. He commissioned the preparation of this sauce to a local pharmacist. The result was a mixture that, in its taste, did not even remotely resemble the sauce that the Lord liked. As a result, the sauce was rejected and placed in the basement. After some time, it was there that he was discovered. Time obviously benefited the product, because after sweating in barrels, it acquired an exceptional taste.
According to another version, everything was much simpler. Chemists John Lee and William Perrins, at the request of Lord Markens, were able to get exactly the very sauce that is used now.
It should be noted that This Worcester sauce is produced in an industrial way.. In addition, the exact recipe of this sauce has not yet been disclosed and is kept secret. The approximate list of ingredients, constituent seasoning, looks like this:
- Tomato paste - 950 g
- Walnut extract - 190g
- Extract-decoction of champignons - 570 g
- Ground black pepper - 80 g
- Dessert Wine - 760 g
- Tamarind - 570 g
- Sardella (special spiced fish) - 190 g
- Curry - 100 g
- Red chilli extract - 340 g
- Allspice - 4 g
- Lemon - 190 g
- Horseradish - 40 g
- Celery - 80 g
- Meat extract - 80 g
- Aspik (concentrated meat broth, clarified and low-fat) - 70 g
- 10% maltose (malt) vinegar - 2.3 l
- Water - 3 L
- Ginger - 1 g
- Bay leaf - 1 g
- Nutmeg - 4 g
- Salt - 230 g
- Sugar - 230 g
- Chile pod - 1 g
- Burnt sugar - 19 g
- Tarragon Extract - 10 g
Cooking technologyworcester sauce manufacturers hide. Therefore, you can purchase its original version or fake it only in stores.
Where to buy Worcester sauce?
Worcester sauce is produced by several companies. Original Worcester Sauce is produced only by the company. "Lea& Perrins", the rest are engaged in the production of imitation. In Russia, the best option would be to buy a Worcester sauce made by Heinz and Lea.& Perrins ".
Worcester sauce made use for fried and stewed meat dishes of English cuisine, as a seasoning for bacon with fried eggs, as well as other appetizers. In addition, it is used for marinating fish fillets, as well as to flavor boiled or fried fish. Worcestershire Sauce It is one of the main components of the "Bloody Mary" cocktail and is used in the preparation of Caesar salad.
Worcester sauce looks like ordinary soy sauce, except a little lighter. This sauce is very concentrated. It is enough to use only one teaspoon of the sauce in the whole dish. If you are going to use it in portions, then a few drops will suffice for each.
Worcester sauce at home
At home, you can cook only an imitation Worcester sauce, specially adapted for cooking at home.
To make the sauce, you will need a gauze bag or piece of gauze in order to process some of the necessary ingredients.
- Bow - 1 head
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Anchovy - 1 pc
- Pepper Peas
- Mustard seeds - 3 tsp.
- Salt - 0.5 tsp.
- Curry - 0.5 tsp.
- Ground cinnamon - 0, 5 tsp.
- Red pepper - 0.5 tsp.
- Clove - 0.5 tsp.
- Cardamom - 2 tsp.
- Acetic acid - 2 tsp.
- Sugar - 100 g
- Soy sauce - 0.5 tbsp.
- Onions should be placed in a solution of vinegar and leave it there for a few minutes. Then onions, soaked in vinegar, you need to chop finely. Chop garlic and sprinkle with vinegar.
- Place the onion, garlic, red and black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom in a pre-prepared gauze bag. Tie the bag tightly.
- Pour soy sauce and acetic acid in a saucepan, add sugar to it, and add tamarind. Then pour in some water and put it on fire.
- The contents of the pan need to boil for half an hour on low heat.
- Separately mix the chopped anchovy, curry and salt. All this needs to be diluted with a small amount of water. Pour the mixture into a saucepan with common sauce and continue cooking.
- After you turn off the fire, place the bag of spices in a glass jar and close it with a lid, pouring in the sauce beforehand. The contents of the jars need to cool and place in the refrigerator. A bag of spices you need to be pressed for a week every day. Then the bag can be removed. Pour the sauce into small bottles and store in the refrigerator.
See also:How to cook a sweet and sour sauce?
To cook Worcester sauce Of course difficult, but worth it. You will have a universal seasoning for sandwiches, fish and meat dishes. If you want to taste real Worcestershire sauce - your way lies in the nearest shops looking for it. Having tried this exquisite and complex seasoning at least once, you will not be able to remain indifferent to it.