People began to eat forest berries before the appearance of civilization. Their useful properties were identified in ancient times. First of all, the benefits of wild berries are explained by their composition. They contain vitamins and beneficial micro and macronutrients, amino acids, as well as biologically active compounds. Save valuable product can be a simple way - make jam.
By the way, wild berries are not only useful, but also quite affordable. From the beginning of spring to late autumn, their various species grow and mature in the swamps and forests of Russia. In general, hundreds of thousands of tons of wild berries are harvested annually. Nowadays, such products have been classified according to certain factors: gooseberry, heather, pink, nightshade - all these are classifications by family.
More berries are divided into edible and inedible, and they are different in forms of education, growth areas and periods of maturity. Their caloric content depends on the type of plant, but in most cases it is not high, which is why berries belong to dietary foods.
By the way, people have been using the healing properties of wild berries for many centuries. For example: raspberry is an excellent remedy for colds, blueberry is a preventive and therapeutic agent for the visual system, and lingonberry improves immunity and is effective in severe forms of liver disease. But wild berries can be harmful when consumed in too large quantities. Also, some species can cause allergies if a person has an individual intolerance to them.
If you do not have the opportunity to pick berries, then it does not matter. Nowadays, grocery store counters are full of a large assortment of different fruits. But when choosing them, it is also necessary to know some tricks: you need to acquire only mature fruits, dense, with a characteristic color, and all the berries must be in the same degree of maturity.
Cranberries will be perfectly stored in a refrigerator in a glass jar for 10 days. It can still be poured with cold water and stored at 0 degrees. Blueberries and lingonberries contain benzoic acid, which prevents fermentation and rotting, so these fruits are stored for a very long time without unnecessary manipulation, they just need to be placed in a cool dark place. Bilberries and stone carvers can be dried, in this state they are stored for a very long time.
If there is a lot of lingonberries, then it, like the cranberries, can be poured with cold water, and after the onset of frost the water should be drained, and the berries themselves should be frozen. Thus, they fully preserve their taste and beneficial properties. By the way, absolutely all wild berries are perfectly amenable to canning and retain all their useful substances.
Wild Berry Jam: A Classic Recipe
Wild berry jam is not only tasty, but also a healthy delicacy. Fruits can be harvested on their own in the forests or in the swamps, or simply purchased at the store, the benefit of our time is not difficult to do. But how to cook jam from wild berries? Use the simplest recipe.
- Mixture of wild berries - 1 kg
- Sugar - 300 g
- Berry carefully bust. Dense, for example, blueberries and blueberries, you can wash, and soft - raspberries, osier, strawberries should be left in this form as they are. For such a mixture at least half of all the berries should be soft, because they will become a source of juice.
- After that, the fruit should be mixed with sugar and leave for 8 hours in a cool place. It is necessary for them to let the juice.
- Then the berries must be gently mixed and transferred to the previously prepared sterilized jars.
- After the jars need to put in a pan with hot water, and the pan itself - on fire. At the same time, containers should be placed not on the bottom, but on thick cloth, folded several times and spread out over the entire area of the bottom of the pan or a special stand.
- After boiling water, the fire should be slowed down, the boiling of the liquid should not be strong. Banks should be covered with lids.
- After 15 minutes, the banks must be removed, well plugged, turned upside down and allowed to cool.
Five Minute Jam
Particularly successful harvesting obtained from forest strawberries. This jam is cooked very quickly - just 5 minutes. On cold winter evenings, it is very tasty to drink tea or to use as a filling for baking.
- Strawberries - 3 tbsp.
- Red currant - 0.5 tbsp.
- Sugar - 1 tbsp.
- Go through the strawberries, while ensuring that there is no stem and grass. It is better not to take softened or excessively ripe berries. It is not recommended to wash them, otherwise the mixture will become mushy.
- Now strawberries should be filled with sugar and left to give juice. Sugar is not much needed: for 3 parts of strawberries - 1 part of sugar.
- But strawberry jam has one small minus - it tastes bitter. In order to prevent bitterness, red currant is added to the billet. The following proportions should be observed: for 1 part of strawberries - 1/6 of currants.
- But some housewives instead, to neutralize the bitterness, boil the strawberries with whole carrots, which are then thrown away or put in a spoon when cooked, a spoon of silver.
- Then the berries after they let the juice, you should put on the fire and heat, stirring gently.
- After boiling the mixture, it must be boiled for another 5 minutes, regularly removing the foam, and then turn off the heat.
- Hot jam should be poured into sterilized jars, close the lids and turn upside down.
- It is better to keep such a jam in a cool place, but it will also be perfectly preserved in a simple cupboard.
Another wild berry from which you can cook a magnificent five-minute jam is blueberries.
- Bilberry - 1 kg
- Sugar - 1.2 kg
- Berries to sort, wash and dry, and then cover with sugar.
- Now the mixture can be put on a slow fire and stirring, wait until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- After the sugar has dissolved, the fire can be made medium.
- Then, when the mixture boils, you need to detect exactly 5 minutes and remove the jam from the heat.
- After that, hot jam must be poured into sterilized jars and closed.
- Cooled containers should be refrigerated for storage.
Wild berry jam through the meat grinder
One of the most useful methods for harvesting wild berries is passing them through a meat grinder with sugar. In another way, this method is called the harvesting of raw jam. Of wild berries, this method will be ideal for cranberries, blueberries and chokeberry. This is done in particular in order to preserve vitamin C, which is in the fruit.
It is best to grind the berries with glass jars. When using a meat grinder, approximately 30% of vitamin C will disappear. This is due to metal contact. After the berry puree must be mixed with sugar and decomposed into pre-sterilized jars. The mixture must be laid out in banks in such a way that it does not reach the top by about 1 cm.
After the container you need to close the lids and lower for a few seconds in boiling water, and then put in a refrigerator for a day. After this time, the banks should be opened and covered with sugar to the top of the mass. This will preserve the product. Then the jars need to be closed and refrigerated again. With this method of storage, the fruit retains all its vitamins and nutrients.
Since the jam is raw, does not give in to any heat treatment, the jars will need to be sterilized thoroughly to prevent souring of the product. Under the cover you can put a piece of parchment paper, previously soaked in vodka. This jam is kept in a cool place.
By the way, sugar in the cooking process should not be regretted, because the smaller it will be, the less the shelf life of the product. In general, the average proportions: for 1 kg of berries - 1 kg of sugar, but you can even put 1.5 kg of sugar, then the probability that the jam will last longer will increase.
Wild berries are a healthy food, and, besides, unusually tasty! To save all the vitamins and nutrients that are included in their composition, you can cook jam. This process is not laborious and quite fascinating. In the cold season, an aromatic delicacy will not only lift your spirits, but also help fight seasonal ailments.