Far from all the dishes that are considered Russian today are, in fact, such. For example, the appearance on our Pozharsky cutlets is quite likely that we are obliged to the Frenchman who exchanged the recipe for the night. However, here the versions diverge - someone claims that only women's ingenuity and the desire to please the highest person caused the birth of the famous hearty dish. Who really is the authorship? And how to cook traditional Pozharsky cutlets?
Who came up with Pozharsky cutlets?
The popularity of this dish happened not so long ago - at the beginning of the 19th century, and therefore it is easy to guess that they have nothing to do with the liberator of Moscow, Dmitry Pozharsky. All the fault is far less known Pozharsky - the owners of the restaurant in Ostashkov. One day a visit by the sovereign himself (presumably, Alexander) happened at this place, for breakfast he wanted veal cutlets. But there was no necessary meat, and the highest will would not allow the dish to be replaced. Daria Yevdokimovna, the spouse of the innkeeper, suggested to go for a trick and use poultry meat. Cutlets were given the desired shape, processed by breading, a veal rib was added inwards, and included in the breakfast.
Of course, the substitution of the unnoticed did not pass, but the sovereign did not deign to be angry. A frightened innkeeper, who confessed "in sins," was ordered to call his wife for a reward. Moreover, the recipe for meatballs was included in the royal menu, and the name Pozharsky was also assigned to it. The owners of the tavern were proud of the title of suppliers of the imperial court, and later they were immortalized by Pushkin and Ishimova.
The classic recipe Pozharsky cutlets with photos
As already mentioned, Pozharsky cutlets are based on chicken meat and the minimum addition of veal. Alternatively, different parts of the poultry are taken - the same amount of meat from the thigh is needed for a lean breast. Also, cream and white bread are always used, but the eggs in the classic correct and tasty recipe of Pozharsky cutlets are not there, which makes them very tender, even despite the crisp crust.
- Chicken fillet - 0.5 kg
- Leg meat - 0.2 kg
- Fatty cream - 70 g
- Olive oil - 50 g
- Tomato paste - 1 tbsp.
- Onion - 1 pc.
- Salt, pepper - to taste
- White bread (slices) - 3 pcs.
- Breadcrumbs or 150 g white loaf
- Chop the fillet and thigh with a knife as small as possible. The classic recipe involves the preservation of minced meat, but if you like a very delicate texture, you can skip the pieces through a meat grinder, but not more than 2 times. Professionals recommend using a food processor - then the meat will not be too much like minced meat.
- Soak slices of white bread in cream for 5-7 minutes, then dump them to the chicken. Salt and pepper, leave for a while.
- In a deep frying pan, heat the olive oil with tomato paste, add chopped onions, and fry until transparent. Put it in the meat, knead all the ingredients until smooth.
- Dipping your hands in warm water, form the balls. You can define a small (2-3 g) piece of butter in the center of each of them, which will not allow the meat to dry out during frying.
- As for the breading of Pozharsky cutlets, special attention should be paid to this issue: according to the classical technology, white bread is frozen and ground with a grater, then minced in the resulting crumbs and fried in a pan. However, today this technique has been transformed, and therefore there are 2 main ways to breasted burgers: the simplest is crushed rusks. More complex and interesting offer to your attention below.
- Cut the loaf into small pieces, sprinkle them on a baking sheet and send to the oven for 20-30 minutes. at a temperature of 120 degrees. They should not only be dried, but also become golden.
- Prepared balls of mince roll in breadcrumbs, the resulting "hedgehog" flatten on both sides, forming a meatball. After that, you can fry it.
Taking into account the fact that, according to traditional technology, frying is intended only for the formation of a crust, after it the pan with cutlets is sent to an oven preheated to 160 degrees, where it is baked for 25-30 minutes. It is recommended to tighten the pan with foil so as not to dry the meat.
Finally, it should be said that, according to the classic recipe, Pozharsky cutlets are fried in melted butter, or in a combination of butter and olive. Cooking on a vegetable is not recommended - it will kill the taste of the dish. And it is best to serve them with a side dish of buckwheat porridge or baked potatoes, and it is advisable not to heat them up, do not cook in reserve.