Rosehip is a popular medicinal plant that has been used in Russia since the 17th century. At that time, the berries were highly valued and were available only to the highest strata of society. In terms of the concentration of beneficial substances, wild rose is several times larger than other medicinal berries. Many people wonder - when to collect the hips?
Rosehip: collection time
Rosehip - a plant whose fruits contain a huge amount of vitamins and minerals. Water rosehip tincture increases the body's resistance to infectious diseases, strengthens and tones the body. It expels bile from the body, stimulates the function of the sweat glands, reduces bleeding and strengthens the blood capillaries. The pulp of the fruit has a weakening effect, cleans the intestines well.
Collecting rosehipsIt starts from August and continues until the beginning of October. It is during this period that the berries become bright red or orange. When choosing bushes, pay attention to the location of the sepals: if they bristle, it means that the fruit contains a large amount of vitamins, if not, the content of nutrients is less.
Large hard berries of bright color are more useful than small and soft ones. It is necessary to collect them with the stem and receptacle - it is they contain most of the vitamin C. Fresh rosehip is stored no more than 3 days, then it begins to wilt and spoil. So, after collecting, you can dry it, make compote or jam from the fruit.
- When do you pick cranberries?
- Rosehip oil and its application
- What is dogrose useful for?
Rose Hip Collection: Use
- Compote from wild rose. For its preparation you will need ripe berries. Rinse them with running water and clean the seeds. Dip the peeled fruits in hot sugar syrup (1 kg of sugar per 1 liter of water), leave for 11 hours. After take out the berries and put them in glass jars. Bring the syrup to a boil, boil for 3 minutes and pour the fruits in jars. Next, pasteurize the glass jars in boiling water for 15–20 minutes, roll up and turn the lid down. Allow to cool.
- Rosehip compote with sea buckthorn. Rinse the fresh rose hips well and cut them in half. Peel off the seeds and fold into liter jars. Alternate the wild rose and the sea buckthorn (3: 1). Fill the berries with boiling sugar syrup, roll up the lid and place it upside down.
- Fruit drink from apples with wild rose. Clean the briar from the seeds. Apples cut into small pieces. Pour apples and rosehip 1 liter of cold water, put on the fire and boil for 5-7 minutes. Strain the resulting broth, add sugar to taste, a little honey, lemon or orange zest, lemon juice or citric acid. Roll the juice in the lid and put it in the pantry or cellar.
- Punch with red wine and rosehip. Pour 300 g of rosehips with 2 liters of water. Leave for a few hours, heat and boil for no more than 5 minutes. Strain and add 300 g of sugar, 700 ml of dry red wine and heat again, but do not boil. Add the juice of 2 oranges to the punch. Serve hot.
- Rosehip with sugar. From the berries of wild rose, cook puree and mix it with sugar (1: 1). Heat the mixture to a temperature of 80 degrees. When hot, transfer the wild rose sugar to the sterilized jars. Pasteurize containers in hot water for 20 minutes.
- Wild rose jelly. Clean 2 kg of berries from hairs and seeds, fill them with 1l of water. Boil the mixture over low heat until the berries soften, wipe and squeeze the juice. In the prepared juice, dissolve 0.5 kg of sugar and cook until thick.
- Wild rose jam. Slightly immature fruits wash, chop and peel them. Blanch the berries in boiling water for no more than 2 minutes. Strain. Boil a thick sugar syrup, add rosehip to it and leave the mixture for 4 hours. Next, the product is preserved, as usual jam.
- Rosehip jam with cranberries. Peel 2 kg of berries from seeds and hairs, add 600 g of cranberries and 3 kg of sugar. Cook the jam in the usual way, after which, pour it over the cans and roll up the lid.
- Fruit jelly from apples and dogrose. Prepare mashed rosehip apples (2 kg), add sugar to it (3 kg). Stir the mixture and leave to dissolve the sugar. Boil in small portions until ready. When the marmalade is ready, put it in the fridge.
Rosehip - a unique berry, a panacea for many diseases and a real storehouse of vitamin C. Unfortunately, fresh berries are not stored for long, so they should be used almost immediately. The most popular way to store rose hips is to dry or freeze it. In addition, collecting wild rose, you can cook delicious fruit drinks, fruit drinks and jam!