Many summer residents on the plots grow rhubarb. Its stems are added to compotes and preserves, soups, salads and sweet pies, but few know about the healing properties of the root and the incredible benefits of this vegetable. The root is from China, it was used there before our era, N.M. delivered it to Russia . Przhevalsky in 1873. For its unusual properties, the plant is extremely valued in traditional medicine and pharmaceuticals and is used for medicinal preparations.
Revenge is rich in sugars, proteins, contains pectin. Petioles are rich in vitamins A, C, P and carotene. The content of vitamins in it is higher than in other traditional garden crops, and 2 rhubarb petioles satisfy the organism's daily need for vitamin C. Also, it is rich in organic acids - citric, malic, oxalic, acetic and succinic. The highest content of valuable acids accumulates in early spring. Eating rhubarb in food improves appetite, restores the digestive tract, acts as a choleretic, diuretic, antimicrobial and has a tonic effect on the body. The plant's rhizomes contain calcium, magnesium, iron, glycosides, rutin, catechins, organic acids, tannins, resins, and a unique substance, chrysarobin, which is effective in combating the external manifestations of psoriasis.
For therapeutic purposes, the most commonly used rhizomes. They are very useful for rectal cracks, chronic constipation, improve blood circulation and regulate water balance, are used to treat anemia, tuberculosis, arthritis, sclerosis and liver disease. In pharmacies, rhubarb can be found in the form of powder, tablets, extracts and tinctures.
Due to the high content of acids in rhubarb, not everyone can use it. People with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract should not get involved in dishes from this product, since acids can irritate the gastric mucosa. It is also undesirable to use it in case of liver and kidney diseases, diarrhea, pregnancy, diabetes, gout, urolithiasis, cholecystitis, peritonitis and hemorrhoids.
With excessive use of rhubarb, even in a healthy person may begin stomach pain, colic, and even vomiting.
Drinks with rhubarb:
Wash the young scapes of rhubarb and finely chop them, put the contents into a saucepan, add water, let boil and boil for 10 minutes. Squeeze content well. In the resulting juice, you can add the juices of any berries and fruits, honey or sugar to taste. It goes well with honey, lemon, strawberries, raspberries, plums, apples, cherries.
Compote with rhubarb and lemon
1.5 l. water you need to take 300 g of rhubarb, 70 g and 1 lemon. Wash the rhubarb well, not cutting the upper skin into cubes of 1-1.5 cm, remove the zest of lemon and squeeze the juice. Pour lemon juice in a saucepan with water, add chopped rhubarb and zest. Put on the stove, cook after boiling for 20 minutes. After strain and sweeten the finished compote to taste.
Milk Shake with Rhubarb
Mix in a shaker or blender 2 tbsp. chilled milk, 1 tbsp. rhubarb juice, 1 egg, half lemon juice, sugar to taste. Punch the mixture well and serve immediately.
Compote of apples and rhubarb
Take 75 grams of rhubarb and apples and 30 grams of lemon juice per 150 ml of water. Wash them and chop them finely, cover with water and put on fire. When compote boils, you need to add cinnamon, sugar to taste and pour lemon juice. Strain, cool and serve with ice.
Kissel from rhubarb and strawberry
0.5 kg of peeled and chopped, 0.5 kg of strawberries cut in half, and 2 apples, peel and cut into slices. Next, you need 125 g of white wine and 125 g of raspberry syrup to combine and boil, add half of apples, rhubarb and strawberries and 2 tablespoons. sugar, boil for 10 - 15 min. on low heat. Beat the mixture with a blender until mashed and cooked again. After boiling, put the remaining apples and rhubarb. 1 tbsp. starch diluted with a small amount of water, pour a thin stream into the jelly, let boil and add the remaining strawberries and orange liqueur. Decorate with sugar, strawberry slices and mint leaves.
Young scapes of rhubarb, wash and cut into cubes, about 2 cm. Fold in a 3-liter bottle, so that the rhubarb takes about a third of the volume. Then go there 1 tbsp. sugar, 0.5 tsp dry yeast or 15-20 g of fresh. The remaining volume is filled with boiled water. Cover the jar with gauze and put in a dark place for 3 days. Then pour the finished kvass into bottles and put in a fridge.
Baking and desserts with rhubarb
Rhubarb jam and oranges
For this recipe, take rhubarb and oranges in a 2: 1 ratio, i.e. 1 kg of rhubarb, you need to take 0.5 kg of oranges. For 1 kg of fruit you need to take 0.5 kg of sugar, 1 bag of special gelling sugar for jam. Wash the rhubarb, peel and cut into small cubes, put in the cooking utensil and pour 2 tbsp. Sahara. With one orange peel, and the rest to clear and cut into cubes, add to the rhubarb and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. sugar, cover and leave for 4 hours. After they put the juice on the gas, pour a bag of gelling sugar (read carefully on the package, it is usually calculated 1 kg of fruit), bring to a boil and pour the remaining sugar and zest, boil another 5-10 minutes. Ready to pour the jam on the banks and roll up.
Puree of rhubarb
At 0.5 kg of rhubarb you need to take 350 grams of sugar. Rinse the stalks, peel and finely chop, mix with sugar and stew, stirring constantly, so as not to burn. When the rhubarb has become soft, rub the mixture through a sieve. This kind of mashed potatoes can be used for fillings in pies, buns, marmalade, and in itself is an excellent dessert.
Lemon cupcakes with rhubarb and strawberries
- Soda - 0.5 tsp.
- Flour - 145 g
- Lemon juice - 4 tbsp.
- Vanilla extract -1 tsp
- Milk - 120 g
- Salt - 0.5 tsp.
- Butter - 60 g
- Mascarpone - 250 g
- Rhubarb - 200 g
- Fatty cream - 145 g
- Sugar - 190 g
- Icing sugar - 30 g
- Baking Powder - 0.5 tsp.
- Eggs - 2 pcs.
- Lemon peel - 1 pc.
- Strawberry - 350 g
- Wash rhubarb, peel and chop finely, put in 95 g of sugar and leave overnight.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl: flour, soda, salt, baking powder and mix them.
- On a fine grater, remove the zest of one lemon and mix it with the hands with 95 g of sugar.
- Beat butter with sugar. It is better to do this with a nozzle for a food processor in the shape of a spatula, but an ordinary mixer is also suitable.
- Add eggs one by one, add 2 liters. lemon juice, vanilla extract and half of the flour. Stir in the milk thoroughly, then pour in the remaining flour and stir again.
- Spread the dough in paper molds and put them baked at 175 degrees for 20 minutes. Readiness check with a toothpick, the cupcake is completely baked if there are several wet crumbs on it. Remember that cupcakes, unlike muffins, do not rise much. If you want to get more lush pastries, do not add lemon zest.
- From the rhubarb infused overnight, drain the liquid, mix with lemon juice and reduce to the state of porridge in a saucepan. Cool it down. Make a puree of 200 g of strawberries and mix with rhubarb. The remaining strawberries cut into cubes.
- Mascarpone, powdered sugar and cream whipped in a thick cream.
- In the cold cupcakes, make holes, remove the core and fill the mashed potatoes with rhubarb and strawberries. Top with cream and garnish with fresh strawberries.
- Lemon juice - 4 tbsp.
- Butter - 100 g
- Flour - 280 g
- Sugar - 250 g
- Sour cream - 200 g
- Baking Powder - 2 tsp.
- Eggs - 2 pcs.
- Lemon peel - 1 pc.
- Rhubarb - 300 g
- Melt the butter and whip it with eggs and sugar, add the zest, sour cream, pour in lemon juice.
- Mix flour with baking powder and gently pour into batter, mix well and add rhubarb cut into small pieces.
- Put the dough into a mold and bake at 180 degrees for 1 hour. Allow to cool.
- Remove the cake from the pan and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Rhubarb in Russia is not a very common product, and city residents, unfortunately, sometimes do not even pay attention to this vegetable, which appears in May on the markets and supermarket shelves. People knew about its medicinal and taste properties thousands of years ago, and modern scientists have confirmed the extremely rich chemical composition of rhubarb.