We all remember our favorite flavor of marshmallow since childhood. But being small, few of us thought about its origin. But many housewives ask themselves questions: what are the marshmallows made of and how to cook it at home? In order to understand these questions, for a start it is worth understanding: what kind of delicacy is this - marshmallow?
A rich variety of marshmallow species
In industrial production, marshmallows are represented by various species. It comes in the form of shells, is part of cookies, cakes, wafer cones and other various desserts.
This delicacy differs depending on the fruit and berry supplements. So, we can distinguish the following types of marshmallow:
- currant and others
White cream marshmallow is considered a classic option. It is often covered with chocolate icing or sprinkled with coconut chips to give a more appetizing and presentation. The marshmallow for children, produced in the form of letters of the alphabet in various colors, has become very popular lately.
What make marshmallows: composition
Marshmallow cooking recipes exist around the world, and in each country it is cooked in its own way. With a huge variety of delicacies in foreign countries, it is difficult for us to find the usual taste of air marshmallow. It's all about the components included in its composition. For example, in American countries marshmallows are called marshmallows, where eggs are replaced by various natural juice and cornstarch. In Israel, marshmallows are made in the form of fillings for cookies and called crembo.
The composition of the classic Russian marshmallow includes egg whites, natural thickeners (pectin, agar-agar, gelatin), sugar and applesauce. However, other additives are used in the industrial production of marshmallow:
- food colorings;
- flavoring flavors - flavor enhancers;
- acidity regulators;
- preservatives (to keep the product fresh longer), etc.
Not always the components used in the production of marshmallow, harmless and harmless to the human body.
To protect yourself from the effects of adverse additives, you can make marshmallows at home. Of course, the design and appearance of it will differ from the factory marshmallow, but you can be absolutely sure that the components are harmless.
The composition of homemade marshmallow includes such ingredients:
- egg whites;
- various fruit in the form of mashed potatoes;
- sugar and powder;
- lemon acid;
- gelatin, agar-agar;
- nuts, chocolate, coconut chips.
Cooked marshmallows at home is no less tasty than the shop. And modern technologies and kitchen equipment greatly facilitate the complexity of the process of its preparation.
How to make marshmallows at home: a recipe
If you want to pamper your household with a delicious and useful delicacy, then prepare a fluffy marshmallow from apples at home.
- 2 tsp. gelatin;
- 1 tbsp. sugar sand;
- a pinch of salt;
- lemon acid;
- 6 pieces apples, it is better to take the variety Antonovka;
- 7 pieces eggs;
- ½ tbsp. warm water.
- Fill gelatin with water and mix well. Leave to swell for 1.5-2 hours.
- Wash apples, dry and cut in halves.
- We warm the oven to 180 degrees and bake the apples for 30-40 minutes until soft.
- Ready apples cool, peel and core and carefully fray in puree through a sieve. If you have a blender, it can also easily cope with this task, saving you time and energy.
- Pour the swollen gelatin into a non-stick pan and heat over low heat to a liquid state. Important: gelatin should only be heated, but not boil!
- Separate the yolks from proteins in the usual way for you. For making marshmallow we need only proteins.
- Using a mixer, beat the proteins with a pinch of salt to a thick stable foam state for about 10-12 minutes.
- Applesauce mash with gelatin. We set to simmer on low heat. After 2-3 minutes, add citric acid at the tip of the knife and a glass of sugar.
- Bring the resulting mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. It is necessary that the gelatin gradually thickened and the puree turned out very thick.
- Add ready hot apple puree to proteins, stirring occasionally, bring to a uniform consistency.
- The baking sheet is covered with parchment paper. Lubricate it does not need anything.
- For the formation of marshmallow halves, we need a pastry bag. If you do not have a pastry bag, you can use a tight plastic bag with a cut off tip on one side.
- Fill the pastry bag with marshmallow mixture and form the halves, lay out on a sheet for baking.
- Leave ready marshmallows to harden at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
- Ready marshmallows need to top with powdered sugar and combine the halves on the bottom. If the bottom is dried up, it can be further lubricated with sugar syrup. Marshmallow ready. Enjoy your meal!
As you can see, to cook marshmallows at home according to this recipe, you do not need to possess special culinary skills. It is enough to follow the recipe and have on hand a couple of modern kitchen devices: a blender or mixer.
Air marshmallows can make even the most cloudy days as good as ordinary chocolate. It is worth adding a little to your favorite drink of coffee, hot chocolate or cocoa, and the world is not so gray. And homemade marshmallow at home is especially tasty and healthy, because it is made from the heart and with great love.