What could be more pleasant than evening in the company of a cup of aromatic tea and delicious sweets? Especially if the delicacy is some special, evoking atmosphere of a cozy coffee house. This can be considered as Vienna cookies with jam. The recipe for this Austrian pastry can be repeated quite easily at home.
Exquisite sweetness in 20 minutes
Homeland Viennese cookies is Austria. According to one of the versions of origin, once a lot of customers came to one of the coffee shops, wanting to hide from the weather. And the owner, realizing that his pastry assortment is not enough for everyone, came up with a recipe for how to quickly make shortbread with jam. What is curious, whipped up sweets so much the visitors liked that the cookies became the hallmark of the establishment.
In addition to fast cooking (and sand dough is baked for just 20 minutes!), Viennese delicacy:
- does not require sophisticated products;
- can be combined not only with jam, but also with fresh fruit;
- does not lose its taste in a few days.
Moreover, Viennese cookies can be baked not only with sweet jam, but also with cheese, pate and even meat. In these cases, sugar is simply not added to the dough.
Classic Viennese cookies
The traditional Viennese recipe is based on the addition of jam to the cookie, and not jam. The fact is that with the last pastries it turns out quite dry because of the consistency of the filling. But the jam well permeates the dough, and the delicacy comes out gentle and soft.
- 250 g cream margarine;
- 2 chicken eggs;
- 350 g sifted flour;
- 1 tbsp. white sugar;
- 1 tbsp. pitted cherry jam;
- 5 g baking powder;
- Margarine is melted in a water bath or in a microwave.
- Pour sugar, salt, dry baking powder into it. Stir.
- Beat eggs into the mixture, lightly whisk the mass.
- Slowly pour in the flour and make the dough with a steep batch.
- We wrap a small piece of dough with cling film and send it to the freezer for 15 minutes.
- We roll out the rest of the billet into a layer about 1 cm thick and place it in a mold, having previously laid out baking paper on it.
- We spread on the dough jam.
- Frozen dough rubbed on a coarse grater and distribute a fairly dense layer of the filling.
- In the oven warmed to 180 degrees we send the form with cookies.
- Bake for 20 minutes, let cool and cut into portions.
Fans of crispy dough can be recommended to add 2 tbsp together with baking powder. l potato starch.
Delicate cookies with jam: a recipe with photos
If you prefer loose, delicate cookies, then in the recipe for sandy pastry add soda, slaked with vinegar.
- 4 tbsp. wheat flour;
- 2 eggs;
- 1 tbsp. white sugar;
- 200 g of homemade butter (or cream margarine);
- ¼ tsp salts;
- 1/3 tsp baking soda, vinegar quenched;
- 1 tbsp. jam or grated with blackcurrant sugar.
- Mix the sugar with salt and beat the eggs. Shake the mixture well.
- Melt the oil, pour into the egg mass.
- Pour the flour and soda, slaked with vinegar. Making a cool dough.
- We divide the billet into two unequal parts, the smaller one is sent to the freezer.
- Shape the baking pan with paper and lay out the dough, rolled out into a rectangle up to 1 cm thick.
- We distribute the jam and make the powder from the frozen dough, rubbed it on a coarse grater.
- Send cookies for 20 minutes in the oven, heated to 180 degrees.
- After baking has cooled, it can be cut into pieces.
Viennese Cookies: Cooking with Tatyana Litvinova
The recipes of the famous restaurateur and the famous culinary specialist Tatiana Litvinova are notable for their simplicity and ease of execution. This is absolutely true for its author's recipe for Viennese cookies.
- 150 g of homemade butter;
- 1/3 Art. white sugar;
- 1 tbsp. wheat flour;
- 1 tsp. vanilla;
- 2 yolks;
- salt (to your taste);
- 150 g marmalade.
- We melt the oil in a water bath and beat well until a white foam appears.
- Add the yolks with sugar, salt and vanilla. Shake again.
- Slowly add the flour, mix and make a stiff dough. We put the blank in the package and send it to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a thin layer (5 mm) between two sheets of parchment.
- Remove the top sheet and cut out the paired figures with a mold.
- In one half of the blanks we make a notch in the middle and combine it with a paired figure.
- In the center we put marmalade.
- We bake in the oven for about 20 minutes at a temperature of 160 degrees.
Viennese cookies with jam, the embodiment of the recipe which does not require special culinary skills, will make an excellent company for hot tea or aromatic coffee. It will take you quite a bit of time to prepare the delicacy, and it will be enough even for a large family. True, if there are sweets among the loved ones, then you will have to make two batches of delicious pastries from Austria. After all, it disappears from the table in the blink of an eye!