Everyone tried chicken skewers. It is delicious and tender. But this dish has a worthy rival. Turkey is often used for kebabs. The result is a very tender and fragrant dish. It is especially interesting because in the meat of turkey, despite the frying, there are a lot of nutrients. In addition, such a kebab is not particularly calories.
Turkey kebabs are cooked on the same principle as chicken. If for soups and chops use the breast, then for frying on skewers or grill grill it is better to opt for thighs. The reason is simple - after cooking, they will not be dry, unlike other parts.
You can find tips about turkey kebabs, offering to buy a whole bird carcass. This is not entirely rational. On the dish you will leave only a pair of hips. Of course, this is quite enough for one person, but the whole company is unlikely to eat so much meat. The way out is simple - buy several trays of already cut thighs. In addition, they will cost significantly less carcass.
When buying, pay attention to the appearance of the turkey. Meat should not be weathered, and the skin is dark or spotty. Usually the meat fibers in fresh birds are reddish. Peel - pinkish-cream without other shades. Under the thighs in the tray itself should not be bloody puddles. Otherwise, the presence of moisture suggests that the turkey was frozen and thawed several times.
If you have the opportunity to touch the turkey meat for barbecue, then be sure to do it. When pressed, the pulp should quickly take on its original shape. Another important point: when choosing a turkey for kebab, see that all the pieces were the same. So it will be easier for you to fry them. Each hip comes to readiness for the same time.
How to cook marinade for turkey?
After choosing the bird for the kebab, etc. The important part is the properly prepared marinade. There is an opinion that many types of meat should be marinated for a long time. Some even add vinegar to the marinade! This is definitely not worth doing. This attitude to good meat does not benefit.
In the preparation of marinades for any kind of kebab there is a secret. It lies in the fact that sometimes for fresh meat enough salt and onions. In the case of turkey, you can add mayonnaise to these ingredients. This is done due to the fact that poultry meat itself is not as fat as the same pork. As a result, when cooking on charcoal, it becomes dryish, and mayonnaise prevents it.
In the case of these ingredients, marinated turkey for kebab is extremely simple. To begin with, we clean an arbitrary amount of onions. We cut it not as it is accepted by rings, and finely chop. This is another secret of cooking any kebab. First, onions give away more of their juice and flavor. Secondly, everyone is accustomed to stringing the rings of this vegetable on skewers along with the meat. Do not do this. Onion when frying begins to burn, which is bad for kebabs. Sliced vegetable can be used for subsequent preparation of gravy or sauce. Agree, it is easier to make from small pieces, rather than from rings.
After the onion has been chopped, it must be crushed in the hands with handfuls, clenched into a fist, and poured into a container with turkey. For a medium portion of kebabs, you should choose a large saucepan with a lid. After adding the onions, we add a little salt. Then take the mayonnaise and grease them with pieces from all sides. After that, close the tank with the turkey lid and shake it a little. At the end we place the turkey in the fridge for marinating. At least she will have to spend a couple of hours there.
There are other types of marinades for turkey:
- Wine - for 1 kg of thighs you need to take a bottle of dry white wine. Pre-finely shred 2 medium onions. Mix them with a bunch of chopped basil. Pour them over the meat. Fill the thighs with wine. A turkey is marinated in this way for approximately 4 hours.
- Asian marinade for turkey - for 2 kg of bird thighs, take 2 tbsp. l Honey, 3 cloves of garlic, 0.5 tsp. ground ginger, 0.5 tbsp. soy sauce and coarse lemon juice. Garlic must be passed through the press. Then it is added to the bowl, where the rest of the marinade components are laid out beforehand. All carefully mixed and coated with pieces of meat. Marinate a turkey in this way for 2-3 hours.
- Spicy marinade - for 2 kg of the bird, take 1 tsp. cinnamon, jeera, black ground pepper. You will also need 2 medium onions, large lemon juice and 3 tbsp. l vegetable or olive oil. Mix spices with butter. Shred onion finely. Then add these ingredients to the meat. Marinate the turkey for 2-3 hours. 15 minutes before frying, sprinkle the pieces with lemon juice.
Turkey Kebab: Recipe
- Thighs of cut turkey - 2 kg
- Onions - 2 pcs.
- Tkemali sauce (can be replaced by any other spicy) - 2 tbsp.
- Vegetable oil - 2 tbsp.
- Nutmeg, black pepper, hops-suneli, salt - to taste
- We rinse the thighs under running water. Then dry them with a paper towel and put in a large saucepan.
- Clean and shred onions. Slightly squeeze it and send it to the turkey tank.
- Spices and butter mix and spread them with pieces of meat. Then salt them to taste. We send the turkey to marinate for 3 hours.
- Fifteen minutes before the start of cooking, we set the fire on. To do this, pour coal into the brazier and let it burn to a white plaque. Remember that kebabs never grill with an open fire! Coal must necessarily burn. This will help fry the meat, give it a crisp, but leave it juicy.
- Turkey string on skewers. Each should have the same amount. If pieces of skin hang down, they should either be cut or pinned to meat. Otherwise, the fat melted from them when frying will drip onto the coal.
- With all the pieces of turkey carefully remove the chopped onion.
- Put the skewer with meat on the brazier. Carefully ensure that no open flame appears anywhere. It will need to be sprinkled with water. Fry the turkey, occasionally turning over, about 15 minutes.
- Willingness is determined by the type of juice. To do this, cut a few pieces in the center with a knife. If the meat is slightly pinkish and the juice has no blood impurities, then remove the skewer from the heat. Remove the turkey from the coal on time. Otherwise, it will dry out. Do not be afraid of the pinkish shade of meat - it always comes to readiness after the heat treatment ends.
By the same principle, any turkey kebab is prepared. You can experiment with pouring ingredients, spices, and bird pickling time.
Turkey: calorie and healthy properties
Turkey is low in calories and very helpful. Per 100 g of fresh meat accounts for about 190 kcal. At the same time, the most dietary option is breast. It is believed that this bird, due to its nutritional properties, should be used in the diet of young children and lactating women. Of course, in the first case, it must be prepared accordingly. Often, pediatricians are advised to use a turkey as a complementary food for babies. It is also considered to be hypoallergenic.
As for adults, it is advised to eat it in cases where you are engaged in hard physical labor, since it fills the energy perfectly. Turkey is recommended for people who are losing weight and those who suffer from bad cholesterol. This benefit of the meat of this bird is due to the fact that it contains a lot of protein, vitamins of group B and various trace elements.
Turkey kebab - very simple, but at the same time incredibly tasty dish. It is best to cook it from the stalks. This part of the carcass when frying on charcoal becomes juicier in contrast to the breast. Thighs marinate for several hours. To do this, take finely chopped onions, spices and other ingredients. Roast turkey skewers should be on charred coals for about 15 minutes.