Every nation has national dishes that are known to the whole world. Russian soup and dumplings have an unforgettable taste, and Ukrainian dumplings with various fillings are prepared in almost every home. There are secrets in the kitchen of the Caucasian people. For example, in Georgia, one of the most common dishes is chicken tobacco cooked in a frying pan. His recipe is famous far beyond the borders of Georgia, and one can hardly meet a hostess who would not have cooked this delicious dish at least once in her life.
Many, having seen the name of the dish, probably wonder: why tobacco? Indeed, the name is unusual. But the explanation is quite simple. In general, the Georgian dish is called tapak chicken, which means fried in tapa. Tapa is a special pan that has thick walls and a deep bottom - this is what allows it to warm up well from all sides.
However, this word was changed to tobacco when translated, and today the dish is known under this name all over the world. So in the menu of many restaurants we see the name already familiar to us - chicken of tobacco in a frying pan.
What ingredients will be needed for cooking?
The recipe of this dish has many options, so the ingredients may vary somewhat. Let's see what products are needed for cooking chicken tobacco in a pan under the pressure of a Georgian recipe.
So, to make a real Georgian delicacy, we need the following ingredients:
- chicken carcass weighing about 1 kg;
- sour cream - 3 tbsp. l .;
- oil for frying - 1 tbsp. l cream and 1 tbsp. l sunflower;
- Georgian adjika - 2 tsp;
- pepper, salt, hop-managed (to taste).
For the sauce, we need to prepare 2 tbsp. l broth, salt, 2 cloves of garlic and dried coriander.
You can also add hot red pepper if you like spicy dishes. However, with its proportions, you need to be careful not to spoil the taste. Instead of sour cream, you can take homemade cream, then chicken meat will be more tender.
How to cook tobacco chicken in a pan: step by step recipes
Preparation of any dish begins with the preparation of products. In our case, you need to properly carve the chicken. This is easy to do:
- Wash the carcass thoroughly.
- Next, you need to cut it along the breast and spread well.
- Then you should beat off the carcass from the inside.
- Then you need to rub it with spices, salt, adzhika and leave for 2-3 hours to soak the meat. Now you can choose a recipe and cook.
If you need to quickly cook dinner or lunch, you can use a simple recipe:
- Chicken rubbed with salt and pepper, while heating the cast-iron skillet.
- Pour vegetable oil into the pan and put a few cloves of garlic. Make sure that the garlic does not burn.
- Place the chicken in the pan down with the breast and then put it under the press (you can cover it with a plate and put a load on top), and then fry it. The fire should be average. Fry for about 20 minutes, but you need to look at readiness, because if the meat is tough, it may take longer.
- Turn the chicken over and fry it the same way on the other side.
- We shift the finished chicken to the dish and serve it with "Tkemali" sauce (you can take tomato sauce).
- If there is enough time for cooking and you want to pamper your home with a real Georgian dish, then you need to use this recipe:
- We cut the carcass, process it with various spices and leave to be soaked as described above.
- Place the chicken in a pre-heated pan, cover with a lid and set the press. Fry on low heat for 20 minutes, then turn over and fry on the reverse side.
- Put the finished meat on a plate, and the remaining fat in the pan can be used for sauce.
Prepare the sauce as follows:
- Chop coriander, salt, hot pepper and garlic in a mortar.
- Put the resulting mass into the pan with the remaining fat after frying the chicken.
- Fry for about 30-40 seconds and fill in the pre-prepared broth (can be water).
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes and turn off.
- The sauce is ready and the chicken can be served.
Other cooking methods
As already mentioned, there are many ways to cook this amazing and delicate-tasting dishes. The principle of the cooking process is the same, but the ingredients and sauce may differ. If you want to cook a chicken with a crispy crust, then before frying it should be generously greased with mayonnaise or sour cream, and add more butter to the pan. You can also cook chicken with steamed vegetables.
Borani with vegetables
Borani is a dish of Armenian cuisine. For its preparation you will need the following ingredients:
- 7-10 eggplants (medium);
- chicken carcass;
- refined vegetable oil - 100-150 g;
- 7-8 small bulbs;
- cilantro and basil (crushed) - 1-2 tbsp. l .;
- salt - 2 tsp.
It is also advisable to add mint, cinnamon and saffron.
How to cook chicken, we already know, now let's figure out how to simmer eggplants for it:
- Peel the eggplant.
- Cut them thinly into circles, salt and leave for 10 minutes - during this time all the bitterness will come out.
- Squeeze the sliced eggplants so that both bitterness and excess salt come out.
- Shred rings onions.
- Fry the onion, add eggplants and spicy herbs.
- Lay out the eggplants on the dish, then the chicken and the rest of the vegetables on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and saffron - and your dish is ready.
- To such a dish is ideal tomato sauce or crushed garlic.
This is an exquisite and unusual dish that will appeal to all family members. To make it you need to stock up on the chicken carcass and giblets. This delicacy is prepared in this way:
- We cut the chicken in the same way as in the classical recipe, rub it with turmeric, salt and spices.
- Put the chicken in the pan, around it - the neck, heart, liver, stomach, legs (they must first be salted).
- Fry on both sides: turning the chicken, do not forget about the giblets.
- Roast on a small fire for about 45 minutes.
- Before serving the treat to the table, sprinkle it with greens.
What sauce will go with tobacco chicken?
Chicken sauce can be bought ready. Any Georgian sauce, which is abundant in each supermarket, will suit it. However, you can cook it yourself - it does not take much time, and the dish will give a unique taste.
The easiest sauce is garlic. You can cook it in 5 minutes, using ingredients that are always in the kitchen of any housewife: garlic, sour cream, herbs and salt. The method of its preparation is as follows:
- Drain the fat left in the pan after frying the chicken into a small container.
- Add garlic, after squeezing it through a press, salt it.
- Pour sour cream: the amount is determined depending on what consistency you want to get the sauce.
- All mix thoroughly, you can blender, and cool.
- Basil, cilantro and other spices are also commonly added to garlic sauce.
Each dish has its own cooking secrets that experienced chefs share with each other:
- you can cook chicken instead of chicken, but remember that you need to fry it longer;
- so that the crust of the chicken remains crispy, you do not need to water it with sauce, but rather serve it in a separate bowl;
- if there is no special pan for cooking chicken tobacco, it is better to use cast iron products, and take a saucepan or kettle with water as a yoke;
- if you rub garlic with chicken, then it is advisable to do it after its heat treatment to avoid a bitter aftertaste.
There are a lot of ways to cook tobacco chicken in a pan, you just need to choose the most favorite recipe. Be creative and don't be afraid to experiment: add something new to the recipes. The main thing - remember that any dish will have unsurpassed taste, if you cook it with soul and good mood.