Today we can afford to buy fresh tomatoes at any time of the year. Of them prepare the most delicious tomato juice, fragrant lecho, make preparations for the winter. And what if you want to try something new, piquant, unimaginable? Then dried tomatoes will come to the rescue. They are fragrant, saturated with the smell of herbs and spices, delicate in taste. Our story is for those who immediately came up with a lot of questions: "What kind of culinary masterpiece are dried tomatoes? What do you eat and where can you add them?".
Let's answer these questions together.
What do dried tomatoes eat and where are they added?
You'd be surprised, but there are a lot of dishes, in the preparation of which use dried tomatoes. Here are the most common ones:
- sandwiches: toast with butter or a thin slice of cheese, as well as with a dried tomato, are savory and tasty;
- such tomatoes are served with meatballs, fish, pork;
- add dried tomatoes to salads, pizza, sauces;
- if lettuce leaves and pieces of cheese are poured with olive oil, and also add dried tomatoes, then you will get a dish with an exquisite taste;
- Scrambled eggs with the addition of dried tomatoes - just a culinary masterpiece.
Dried tomatoes can be easily added to the list of delicacies. This is a rather rare and uncommon delicacy in megalopolises because of its high cost of living. We will try to uncover the secrets of cooking such tomatoes at home, so that it is tasty, affordable and healthy.
Dried tomatoes: how to cook at home?
To cook dried tomatoes on your own, you can use either a microwave or an oven, or simply dry them in the open air. We consider the classic recipe for drying tomatoes in the open air. Such a process occurs with the participation of sunlight, the air temperature should be at least 32-34 C.
But first, let's learn how to choose tomatoes correctly.
Pick up tomatoes
By the choice of tomatoes should be taken very seriously. Ideally, these should be ripe, medium-sized, fleshy tomatoes: cherry tomatoes, a variety of "cream". It is better to buy home-grown vegetables, which are ripe not in the greenhouse, but in the sun.
First of all, pay attention to the appearance of tomatoes. You need to buy ripe tomatoes with a smooth surface without damage and stains.
Remember: from 15-20 kg of fresh vegetables, 1-2 kg of dried will be obtained. It's time to start the process of drying tomatoes.
- tomatoes - as much as you like;
- baking paper;
- pans, trays, plates, sieves, grates - dishes, where we will lay out the tomatoes.
- Wash the tomatoes under cold running water.
- Cut each tomato in half.
- Carefully remove the seeds, as well as partitions and stems.
- Prepare (lay the parchment) dishes in which we will lay out the tomatoes.
- Spread tomatoes cut up.
- Salt each prepared half of a tomato in order to draw out excess moisture, and salt also protects our product from spoilage.
- We leave everything in the sun, covering our dainty with gauze.
- In the evening it is better to bring the pans into a warm room.
- We squeeze our tomatoes until all moisture is gone.
- When tomatoes are whitish on the cut, it is safe to say that everything is ready.
The drying process takes about 8-9 days, when it is sunny, dry, hot outside, and the air temperature is not lower than 32 degrees. However, the weather does not always spoil us with such days, and not everyone can afford such luxury in time. In this case, we can prepare our delicacy using the drying process. For this we need a microwave oven or oven. So, let's start drying tomatoes in oil using a microwave oven.
Sun dried tomatoes in oil
- olive oil;
- a mixture of spices (oregano, oregano, basil, black, and also red pepper).
- Prepare the tomatoes and chop them as described in the previous recipe.
- We spread the cut vegetables on the grid cut up.
- Sprinkle each half with spices.
- We pour gently tomatoes olive oil so that they are covered to the middle.
- Set the microwave to maximum power and set the time 5-6 minutes.
- When the time is out, reduce the power and turn on another 10 minutes.
- Mix the juice in a separate bowl and then salt to taste.
- Through garlic we will pass garlic.
- Lay dried tomatoes in layers in a glass jar and sprinkle with garlic.
- Fill the top with the remaining juice and oil. If there is not enough liquid, then add olive oil to the top of the jar.
This method of preparation will help our dried tomatoes in oil be stored for a long time.
Dishes with dried tomatoes
Dried tomatoes - a dish that is original in itself. But by adding these vegetables to other dishes, we create new masterpieces, such as:
- grain tomato bread;
- penne with dried tomato pesto;
- Italian salad with pasta, tuna and dried tomatoes;
- pasta with pork and fennel;
- goat cheese croutons and gravy;
- frittata with new potatoes, zucchini, cheese and dried tomatoes;
- salad of grilled peppers, olives and dried tomatoes;
- Feta salsa and dried tomatoes.
Dried tomatoes are tasty and healthy. The dishes, where they serve as an ingredient, can be listed indefinitely. We hope that helped you to know the processes of curing tomatoes - faithful assistants in the creation of exquisite dishes. Using all the tips, you can pamper your loved ones with real culinary masterpieces.