Salo is a versatile product that can be served both as a snack and as a main course. There are several varieties of this product, but many people like exactly smoked bacon. By the way, hot smoked bacon can be easily cooked at home.
Preparation of hot smoked bacon: selection and salting method
Most often, pieces of meat with a layer of meat and with a rather thick layer of fat are selected for smoking fat. It is advisable to take pieces from the belly of a piglet, because there is more soft fat. When cooking, it is not the process of smoking itself that is very important, but the correct method of salting lard.
How to pickle fat for smoking?
There are two ways to salting fat:
- in marinade;
- dry method without water.
Dry method without water is quite long, and good salting will take at least two weeks for the suckers to absorb enough salt and spices. Most often they prefer to salt the fat in the marinade, as it evenly absorbs all the necessary juices and salted much better. Fat should be cut into strips 10-15 cm long and about 5-6 cm wide - due to this size it is convenient to fold it into a saucepan.
Cooking delicious marinade
It is important to note that because the brine is prepared for smoked lard, its taste and structure depend. For the preparation of the marinade will require plastic containers and an iron pan.
- large table salt;
- dry garlic;
- fresh garlic;
- black pepper;
- Bay leaf;
- dry mustard.
- The amount of salt is of great importance for the correct marinade, since over-salting can lead to stiffness of the meat layer and will not allow you to absorb all the flavor qualities of the seasonings. To determine the right amount of salt will need a chicken egg, which should be put in warm water. You need to add salt until the egg floats to the surface and its tip is the size of a ruble coin.
- After adding salt, pour the rest of the ingredients into the pan alternately.
- For five liters of marinade you need to fill up ½ tbsp. l dry garlic and 6-7 cloves of fresh. Fresh garlic does not need to be minced, it can be laid whole.
- In the resulting mixture, add black pepper, 5 pcs. bay leaf, finely chopped or pounded, and ½ tsp. mustard Some add sugar to the marinade for lard, but it all depends on the method of preparation and taste preferences.
- The resulting marinade pour the fat, which was pre-packed in a plastic container. It must be remembered that the pickle should completely cover all the fat for more thorough absorption of spices.
- In order for lard not to float to the surface, it must be pressed with a yoke. Brine for smoked lard should be sufficiently heated so that the salt and spices completely give their trace elements to the water.
- Salo drenched in marinade should be removed in a cold place for 5-6 days.
Smoked bacon at home: hot and cold methods
For smoked bacon, chips or sawdust from cherries, apples, alders are best. To sawdust emit enough smoke, they need to moisten with water, but not too plentiful, otherwise they will cease to smolder at all.
Two methods are used for smoking:
Hot smoking is a quicker way; it differs from cold only by the warm-up time and temperature.
How to smoke hot smoked bacon?
- Before placing the fat in the smokehouse, it is necessary to remove it from the marinade, rinse, and then wipe dry or hang it on hooks or a grate for 1 hour so that excess water can escape.
- When hanging the fat in the closet on the hooks or the grating, it must be remembered that a distance of 1-2 cm must be maintained between the pieces so that the product can be smoked well from all sides.
- To smoke you need to make a homemade box of boards or iron, which will be made special poles for hooks with lard or lattice.
- The required temperature must be supplied from below by a manually made hearth. When hot smoked, the temperature inside the cabinet should be at least 50 and not higher than 60 degrees. This temperature is needed to fat quickly smoked. Strongly high temperature will lead to the fact that the fat just starts to roast and all the juice out of it. Such fat will be very tough and tasteless.
When cooking hot smoked bacon, the temperature should be constantly stable, that is, do not fall or rise for 1 hour. During this time, the fat is sufficiently smoked and covered with a bright yellow crust. Depending on the amount of spices used and the type of marinade, the color of the fat may differ.
The only disadvantage of cold smoking is a high probability of damage to fat. When cold smoked, fat should be eaten within 2-3 days, as long-term storage is not possible due to poor heat treatment.
Oven Cooking Recipe
Some housewives do not bother to create a smokehouse and cook lard in a regular home oven. For the manufacture of smoked bacon at home in the oven will require a sleeve for baking.
- In a sleeve for roasting lard is laid, salt, pepper, garlic, mustard to taste.
- The resulting mixture is well mixed and allowed to brew for 12 hours in the refrigerator.
- Then send the mixture into the oven, heated to 130 degrees.
- The time of languor is 45-50 minutes depending on the size of the pieces.
Some housewives add liquid smoke to lard to give it flavor and color.
Tips experienced hostesses
Experienced smokers of salo are advised to remember a number of requirements:
- it is better to use for smoking only chips from fruit trees, but in no case from conifers;
- do not raise the temperature in the smokehouse above the norm;
- salt should always be smoked;
- eat fat better chilled.
It does not matter how hot or cold it is, lard is cooked. The main thing - to choose the right product and salting. With any method of smoking lard will get tasty and juicy, if you follow all the above tips.