France definitely knows a lot about delicacies: the best wines, delicate desserts, delicious snacks and aromatic hot dishes - French cuisine has long been famous for all this. In the field of cooking, they also have no equal: the famous French cookies "Madeleine" were rated by the highest score even by those who are not committed to the love of baking. And the number of variations of recipes for him speaks for itself.
Madeleine French cookies: cooking features
If you compare Madeleine with other types of cookies, then it would be more appropriate to call it a cupcake - the middle of baking turns out to be soft, as a result of which such cookies will not be stored for long. Therefore, it is better to cook it in such a way that it is possible to eat it in a few days or a week, but in reality it is so tasty that it rarely can last more than a couple of days.
According to its ingredients, cookies are similar to sponge cake, but with the addition of butter. In addition to it, there are always eggs, flour and baking powder, as well as sugar, honey and lemon zest. The French add vanillin pod to the dough, but most confectioners today replace it with vanilla sugar, since caution is required with the amount of the initial component. However, the main problem in Madeleine cookies is not what to cook it from, but how to do it in order to get the right raised middle.
The dough is wound up in the evening so that it has the opportunity to brew in the cold for 8-9 hours, and in the morning it is spread in molds. Ideally, special shell shapes are needed, but you can always make French cookies in your favorite forms, without forgetting to measure the amount of dough. Pre-molds, even silicone ones, are coated with butter, and also wake up with a thin layer of flour: this will reduce the amount of butter absorbed into the biscuit, as well as the surface moisture of the product. An alternative to such a move would be the use of parchment paper. And when baking cookies do not turn into muffins (the dough rises very strongly), only 1/3 of its volume is put into shape. In the classic forms for muffins, this is 1-1.5 st.l. without slides.
The next important point that French confectioners mark is work with the oven. It is preheated to 220 degrees, but at this temperature the biscuit on the middle grill will be only 3 minutes. After that, the oven must be turned off and re-enabled only after 10 minutes, setting the temperature to 160 degrees. On it, the liver needs another 5-7 minutes, not more: then it is immediately removed from the oven and the forms, put into the dish and left to cool to room temperature. If desired, still warm cookies are sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Wheat flour - 250 g
- Sugar - 250 g
- Butter - 240 g
- Eggs - 5 pcs.
- Lemon - 0.5 pcs.
- Vanilla pod
- Liquid honey - 12 g
- Baking Powder - 10 g
- If you use thick honey, especially candied, add it after eggs and sugar, working on a water bath. Liquid is put into the bowl immediately, along with the sugar, after which the seeds are poured out of the vanilla pod.
- The ingredients must be whipped with a mixer, operating at medium speed, then one by one to introduce the eggs, continuing to beat. The next component is flour, which is necessarily sieved and mixed with baking powder, after which the mixer is also operated, but the speed decreases.
- Butter must be melted and heated until it becomes nutty, and then allowed to cool to a state where it does not burn the skin, but not to room temperature.
- While it cools, the lemon peel is removed from half a lemon, which is introduced into the dough at the final stage. The mixture should be whipped with a mixer at low power, giving the process 1-2 minutes, so as not to weigh down. The container with the dough is covered with a thin film, and this should be done so that they touch each other, after which the dough should be in the cold. Exposure time - 8-9 hours
- And in order for the cookies to have the most traditional appearance, professionals recommend filling out forms using a culinary bag, which can be made from a regular cellophane bag that cuts a corner.
- If you are working with a gas oven and do not have the ability to turn it off, and then turn it back on, as required by the traditional baking algorithm, you can simply lower its power as much as possible, lowering the fire, and after a specified time, set it to the required level.
Grated cookies with jam
Grated cakes and pastries are classic French and German cuisine, although in the last they are called a little differently: pastry with streysel. But in any case, the recipe is similar, especially with regard to sprinkling. And depending on the base layer, they prepare either soft, big cakes, or crunchy small cookies. Between the dough levels, a filling is laid, which can be represented by fresh berries and fruits, or jams and preserves. Baked cookies with jam - a simple and fast option for those who are tired of the usual sweets for tea and want something new and refined.
For the layer that passes through the grater and always remains crunchy, you need 3 components: butter, sugar and flour. They will be present at the lower level, but with the addition of baking powder and eggs.
- Butter - 200 g
- Eggs - 2 pcs.
- Flour - 3.5-4 tbsp.
- Sugar - 80-100 g
- 150 g of oil is melted, but exactly until the moment when it ceases to be solid. Eggs are poured into a bowl and rubbed with 50 g of sugar, after which butter is added to the mixture.
- Next, flour (3 tbsp.) Is poured in there, and the dough is kneaded with a wooden spatula: it is not convenient to work with a mixer with it.
- The remnants of butter, flour and sugar are combined in another bowl, where one of them is formed by an elastic lump that needs to be cooled in a refrigerator or a freezer: the dough should become almost stone, because it will need to be rubbed afterwards.
- The same mixture that goes to the bottom level of the cookie turns into a steep plastic dough, stretched across the whole baking sheet with a thin layer (optimally withstand a height of 0.8-1 cm).
- Jam spread on the dough thinly, no more than 3-4 mm in height, and from above it is required to pour the remnants of dough from sugar, flour and butter. For this, the lump that was cooled in the freezer is passed through the large side of the grater.
- In the heated to the standard 180-200 degrees, the biscuits should stand for at least 40 minutes, but it is more reasonable to focus on its appearance.
- When the bulk part becomes golden brown, it can be reached, and then cut, before the dough has cooled.
Delicacy in French: recommendations from confectioners
Jam, which will be between the layers of dough, the consistency should be thick, so often it has to be supplemented with fresh berries. Or you can cook it yourself, exactly 1 time for baking. And so that the jam is not glass on the edge, burning to the pan, from the lower level it is worth pulling the sides, which will connect to the bulk part.
If the resulting layer of dressing turned out to be too thin, you can always do as much by mixing 3 main ingredients in the previously mentioned proportion. Work will turn out much faster if oil is taken directly from the freezer, rubbed on it, and only then combined with sugar and flour. Then additional freezing does not make sense.
Instead of baking powder in the original recipe of grated cookies there is soda, quenched with lemon juice. At 4 tbsp. Soda flour is taken 1 tsp, and lemon juice - 2 tbsp. In the absence of it, you can use apple cider vinegar, but its amount is measured in drops: the liquid should only cover soda with a frothy cap.
An alternative recipe for grated cookies suggests the presence of mayonnaise among the ingredients: this makes the product more crumbly, but at the same time increases its fat content. To prevent the latter, the recipe is adjusted through the removal of some heavy products. Therefore, the cooking scheme will look like this: for 1 egg, take 2 tbsp. mayonnaise, 170 g of melted butter, 3 tbsp. flour and 80 grams of sugar. As well as a pinch of baking powder or a spoon of quenched soda.
French pastries are the perfect complement to aromatic tea or strong coffee. Given the ease of preparation and the need to stand the dough in the cold, you can always pamper yourself with fresh cookies, even in the early morning of the weekday or start a tasty weekend.