Rosemary appeared for the first time in the Mediterranean. From the Latin name of this spice can be translated as "sea dew", because its flowers grow on the shores of the seas and resemble sea spray.
Rosemary is a remarkable plant. The amount of prints that are associated with rosemary are numerous. For example, the bride wove him into hairstyles and bouquets, and the newlyweds determined the growth of their family by the growth of a rosemary bush.
In addition, this plant was used as a love spell - it was believed that rosemary protects against evil spirits and drives away nightmares. In the 16th century in England it was rumored that a garden full of rosemary is a sign of the superiority of women in the family. The English men immediately rushed to destroy a good part of the garden, leaving only as much as necessary for cooking. But, as the long-term history has shown, it didn’t help them either - they will always be exactly dependent on women.
How to grow and store rosemary
The best in the world is rosemary from Provence. But in our climate, you can try to grow it.
- This plant likes a warm climate., therefore, greenhouse - the most suitable place. It is planted in early spring by cuttings with an interval of 10 centimeters. In case of freezing, the bushes must be covered with non-woven material. Only two years later, the cuttings will turn into bushes.
- Care is a regular watering, cleaning of weeds, loosening the soil, destroying pests, and at night it is necessary to highlight the plant. Replant the plant growing in a pot should be 2 times a year.
- Rosemary should be harvested during the flowering period. The leaves are cut, dried in a ventilated room, ground and packed in sealed jars. With proper storage, rosemary can be stored for up to 3 years.
- A single rosemary bush can provide fresh leaves all year round..
The use of rosemary in cooking
Dried crushed rosemary leaves are used in this area.Spice is perfect for pork, lamb, rabbit, and of course, for poultry. Last he gives the smell of game. In addition, rosemary is recommended to use in the preparation of casseroles, pizza and pasta dishes, as well as all sorts of desserts.
Rosemary goes well with butter, so it can be used both in bread and as a marinated meat. Rosemary can also be added to sauces, gravies and soups. Only here there is a small nuance: do not use rosemary with bay leaves, how not to overdo it in the soup. Otherwise, the dish will get a bitter taste.
You can approach cooking with creativity and use rosemary flowers as a decoration for various dishes. For example, in desserts and salad salads flowers will look just right. This will surprise and delight your guests.
Rosemary honey- very useful and tasty product. It contains only pluses - one from rosemary, others from honey. So why not use and cook your beloved one of the most delicious delicacies?
Toast with figs, brie and rosemary honey
- All that is needed for cooking is a good fig. Look for ripe and juicy fruits. Their number depends on the number of toasts, from the calculation - one fig per one toast. So, you cut the figs with a cross and open them like a flower.
- Next, on each toast, put a fig and a small slice of brie, or a large one, if you like, as you think is appropriate in composition.
- Next, water all the beauty with honey and sprinkle with rosemary leaves.
- It is recommended to bake toasts in the oven at a temperature of 220 degrees, or 10 minutes under the grill until the cheese is completely melted. After that, you can treat and treat.
Rabbit baked with rosemary
Simple enough, nourishing and very tasty dish. Them both meat-men and dieters will be satisfied.
- Rabbit soak in water with a spoonful of vinegar for 8 hours. Then take out, dry, cut.
- Next, in olive oil, fry the rabbit until golden brown.
- Cut two medium red onions and one garlic clove and send to the roller for 3 minutes.
- Add 230 grams of olives without liquid and fry for 8 minutes.
- Add a few sprigs of rosemary to the dish and cover with a lid or foil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Enjoy your meal!
- Tarragon in cooking: how to apply?
- How to grow rosemary in the apartment?
How many things can make a sprig of this wonderful plant - and for tea, and soup, and meat. Rejoice that you have found such an omnipotent helper in your kitchen!