Lavash is a traditional Armenian cake, which is based on flour, water and salt. A similar product is common in other countries after the addition of certain ingredients. It can be used not only as a substitute for bread, but also to create a variety of snacks and hearty dishes.
Among the most simple and versatile is a pita roll with red fish, which is great for both the holiday and everyday table.
How to choose the ingredients?
Even such a seemingly uncomplicated snack has a number of nuances, non-observance of which can negatively affect the appearance of the dish and its taste qualities.
- First, pita bread. It should be a yeast-free and very thin flat cake. Usually, it is difficult to find a similar product in simple grocery supermarkets - what is presented there resembles ordinary yeast bread in its composition. Experts advise to find a store of Armenian products, where the correct - traditional - pita will definitely be. It should be soft (not break during twisting) and have a rectangular shape: otherwise, part of the roll will have to be cut.
- Secondly, red fish. Which one to choose? The most popular and affordable is salmon - a resident of the northern seas, most often found in salted and smoked form. The fattest and most high-calorie red fish, however, is also the most delicious. The trout gives in to her dietary, if it can be said about fatty fish, rich in phosphorus. Chum salmon is similar to salmon in fat and taste, in general, very similar to it. All these types of red fish are in the high price category. The budget option is also called pink salmon: it lags behind in taste, but at the same time less calorie.
- Third, the cheese. This is the most frequent "filling" component that provides tenderness to the filling. Some recipes indicate mascarpone, but it is too fat and goes much better with sweet ingredients (as a result, it accompanies the Italian desserts). Professionals advise to pay attention to Philadelphia - a great option for a tandem with fish and greens due to a neutral taste. A lighter version is feta cheese made from sheep's milk; for the roll it is recommended to take the immature product sold in brine.
If you buy pita bread in advance, wrap it in a thick towel (or even 2-3) to prevent it from drying out ahead of time.
The classic recipe of Armenian pita for rolls
In fact, it is sometimes easier to make this component of the snack yourself, rather than search all the shops: you only need 1-1.5 hours of time (depending on how many flat cakes you will make), as well as 3 simple ingredients and a large frying pan. (28 cm) with a flat bottom and non-stick coating. Grilled pita without oil! That is why it can be considered relatively harmless food, like traditional Italian pasta.
- Flour (preferably coarse) - 400 g
- Boiled water - 200 ml
- Salt - 1 tsp.
- Water should just be boiled. Mix it with sifted flour and salt, knead the dough with your hands. It must be kneaded for 5-7 minutes. To get a uniform, smooth lump.
- Wrap the dough in the film, leave for 20-30 minutes, but do not remove in the cold: he just needs to "relax".
- Beat and knead the dough again, roll into a thick sausage and divide into 8 equal parts. Each of them again turn into a ball and roll into a circle around the diameter of the pan.
- Heat the pan, but do not bring it to heat: the power of the burner should be medium, the appearance of smoke from the surface is not allowed - the cakes will burn.
- Lay out a rolled circle, wait until it is covered with bubbles and turn it over. On each side of the cake you need to keep only 30-35 seconds. If the pan is warmed correctly, you will keep within it at this time.
Put the fried flat cake on a damp napkin or towel, cover with the same wet material. Each new cake should be covered with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying out. It is recommended to prepare pita immediately before starting the roll, and not a few days before.
Roll with red fish in pita bread: a recipe with photos and recommendations
The classic version of this snack is a roll of pita with red fish and cheese or soft low-fat cottage cheese, as well as greens and lemon juice. Preparing a dish almost instantly.
- Philadelphia cheese or feta - 220 g
- Salted red fish - 300 g
- Lavash - 2 pcs.
- Dill - 3 sprigs
- Lemon - 1/2 pcs.
- Put the cheese in the cup (if it is feta, chop it into small pieces), mash with a spoon or pestle into a homogeneous thick mass. Crush the dill and pour into the cheese, add the juice squeezed from half a lemon. Mix well to get a perfectly smooth cream.
- Wash and wipe the fish with paper napkins, cut into long pieces 0.5-0.7 cm wide. The length is chosen arbitrarily: it is important to follow the thickness, which can interfere with the subsequent division into portions.
- Spread both sheets of pita on the surface of the table. If the cakes are round, with a knife, give them a rectangular shape. Spread the whole cheese cream on top so that it completely covers the pita from edge to edge, and then place the pieces of fish. This should be done so that they lie parallel to the long side of the pita.
- Begin to roll the roll so that the short sides of the rectangle are its sides. Wrap cling film, tightly tightened, and place in the refrigerator. It is advisable to leave it for 6-8 hours, as much as possible to consolidate the shape and allow the cheese and fish to give each other taste. But if time is short, you can shorten the period to 2-2.5 hours.
If you can not buy these types of cheese, you can take absolutely any soft (up to melted), presented in the bath. Make sure that there are no additives in it, which changes the neutral milky taste.
Hot fish roll with cucumber and radish
As the professionals assure, “companions” of red fish in such a roll can be almost any products, but they need to be selected under what will be the key to the tenderness of the filling - cottage cheese or cheese. Hot options are usually prepared with hard cheese, which is mixed with butter. Fry the roll is recommended strictly before use.
- Lavash - 2 pcs.
- Salted red fish - 250 g
- Smoked cheese - 300 g
- Butter - 30 g
- Green Onion Feathers - Bunch
- Spices - to taste
- Fresh cucumber - 1 pc.
- Radish young - 2 pcs.
- Large meaty tomato - 1 pc.
- Spread the pita bread on the tabletop, give it a rectangular shape if necessary. Cut the fish into thin layers, peel and chop the cucumber in thin circles, and chop the tomato into cubes.
- Grate the cheese on the shallow side of the grater, mix with butter and warm in a water bath to make a warm watery mass.
- While the cheese-butter mixture is not set, distribute it over the pita bread, sprinkle with spices. Spread on it washed and dried onion feathers, then fish, cucumber and tomato.
- Roll into a roll, put in a frying pan and fry on both sides without oil until crusted.
Ready roll in the form of heat cut into pieces and serve to the table. The same combination of ingredients can be used for a classic cold dish, but then it is better to take not butter, but mayonnaise.
Tricks of cooking delicious and beautiful roll
Such an appetizer, in fact, can easily turn into a full-fledged hearty dish, ideal for not too high-calorie dinner. In this case, it is recommended to make small rolls for each person, rather than cut into slices. For the filling, use not only red fish, but also vegetables, as well as cereals.
- Baked trout, boiled brown rice, soy sauce, cottage cheese, lettuce - almost rolls.
- Smoked salmon, boiled chicken eggs, soft grated cheese (Russian), green onion feathers.
- Any red fish, crab sticks, cilantro, dill, radish.
If we talk about serving a portion of the holiday table, everything is very simple: ready cooled rolls are simply cut with wide (1-1.5 cm) rings, which are laid out on a plate and decorated with greens (mint leaves and basil are well suited), and also lemon wedges.
- The advice of professionals: salmon and trout are perfectly combined with black olives, therefore, decorating the finished pieces of roll, put on them 1-2 olives, cut in half. They will amazingly highlight the taste of the finished dish and emphasize the fish. Cherry tomatoes can become a simpler and more familiar addition.
Finally, it is worth noting that the roll can also be a hot snack: grease it after slicing with butter, place on a baking sheet and send to an oven preheated to 200 degrees for 10-15 minutes. until a golden brown crust. Best of all this is obtained in the presence of cheese filling.