Vegetable pies are not a sweet dessert, but rather a nutritious afternoon snack or even a full breakfast. With carrots, onions, cabbage - they have been familiar to many since childhood, but the list of recipes does not end there. For example, in America, pumpkin pie, traditionally baked for Thanksgiving, is popular. This dish stuck in Europe, especially as it is prepared no more difficult than the more familiar cabbage pies.
American pumpkin pie: recipe with photos
All the variety of pumpkin pie recipes can be divided into 2 large groups: closed and open. The latter in their appearance resemble cheesecakes, since they also have a sandy basis and a softer filling, and their homeland is America. Closed pies are yeast and yeast-free, on a soft dough, more familiar to Slavic cuisine. Which are more tasty - in endless disputes it was never found out, but for the simplicity of preparation it is unambiguously required to refer to the American recipe: a dough of 3-4 components, almost the same filling, and no fortune-telling "will rise or not rise". Perhaps for this reason this particular cake is so often prepared for Thanksgiving?
- Softened butter - 220 g
- Sifted wheat flour - 400 g
- Salt - Pinch
- Chicken egg (yolks) - 4 pcs.
- Sugar powder - 200 g
- Pumpkin (pulp) - 1 kg
- Thick cream - 200 ml
- Vanilla sugar - 1 tsp.
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp.
- Professionals are advised to start with mixing the dough, because it will need to be cooled, and at that time it will be possible to do the filling. Eggs are broken one by one on the separator, 2 yolks are moved to a large bowl, proteins for this recipe are not needed, but you can use them at the time of making the filling, if you want to get a more crisp crust. A pinch of salt and an oil warmed at room temperature are mixed with the yolks. Using a low-power mixer, mix the products for 3-4 minutes, then powdered sugar is added to them in a thin stream. The mixer does not turn off. Little by little, pour flour into the dough, at the same time transferring the mixer to medium speed. After the last portion of flour will be introduced into the total mass, the dough will be whipped for another 2-3 minutes. If everything is connected correctly, it will be difficult to do this: the mixture will be dense. It should be rolled into a ball, wrap it in cellophane and put it in the cold for 45 minutes.
- Now attention is paid to the stuffing: the seeds are removed from the washed and dried pumpkin, and the pulp is cut, which should be finely chopped into cubes with a knife and transferred to a small pot with thick walls. Cold water is poured next: its level is half the height formed by a layer of pumpkin. Your task is not to boil the vegetable, but to extinguish it until the pulp absorbs the liquid and begins to resemble mashed potatoes. After that, the pumpkin is transferred to a blender or a bowl of a food processor, combined with 1 yolk and 3 whites (the latter - if you need it) and cream. Beat on average power for 1-2 minutes. If you want to get a sweeter stuffing, vanilla sugar, cinnamon and 50 g of powdered sugar are introduced into it.
- The cooled dough is taken out from the refrigerator, laid out on the processed flour surface and rolled into a round cake 4-5 mm thick. Then it needs to be transferred to a round split form, choosing a diameter so that the sides of the cake are 2-3 cm high. First, the base is required to be baked separately for 5-7 minutes, so that it becomes golden. After that, the filling is spread over it in a uniform thick layer, spread on the surface, and the cake is retracted in a hot (185 degrees) oven for 40 minutes. If the oven is very powerful, it is recommended to tighten the form with foil for 20-25 minutes, so that the filling is completely baked. Serve chilled.
Pumpkin Pie Julia Vysotsky
The traditional American recipe has been transformed more than once: for example, Julia Vysotskaya suggested an amazing variation of it. Due to the addition of spices to the dough and toppings, as well as alcohol, the dish turns out to be less sweet, but more unusual in taste, and as well as possible corresponding to the dank autumn weather, when you want a warming tea and a tasty cake. If you do not want to use cognac, you can replace it with rum, any fruit liqueur, or regular coffee liqueur: this will not affect the consistency.
- Pumpkin Pulp - 750 g
- Wheat flour - 220 g
- Sugar (preferably brown) - 150 g
- Butter - 110 g
- Chicken eggs - 3 pcs.
- Fatty cream - 100 ml
- Sour cream - 1 tbsp. l
- Cognac (rum, liquor) - 1 tbsp. l
- Ginger ground - ½ tsp.
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp. or ½ sticks
- Salt - Pinch
- Pumpkin pulp is laid in a saucepan, poured with cold water and stewed over low heat until fully softened. At this time, you can do the dough - for him in a sifted wheat flour, poured a slide, 1 egg is broken and sour cream is laid, after which the ingredients are whipped with a mixer at medium speed. Butter should be cooled, so it is best to get it immediately from the freezer: the bar passes through the shallow side of the grater, combines with sugar (30 g) and salt, and all products turn into soft crumbs by hand. In the last stage, the oil-sugar mixture is added to the common bowl, and the dough is kneaded. This should be done quickly and not for long, so as not to mix everything up, having made a very firm and clogged base: it should remain loose and airy. For 20-30 minutes The dough is moved to the refrigerator, after which it is rolled out from the ball into a cake and placed in a split form, where it forms low sides. In the oven, a large tartlet is baked for 15 minutes, after which it is removed and cooled.
- The pumpkin softened in the process of quenching is cooled and then kneaded with a fork or whipped in a blender. To it, in the process of whipping, eggs and sugar are enclosed, then cream is gradually introduced, brandy is poured in, ginger and cinnamon are thrown (in ground form). Puree is whipped for 3-5 minutes. Until it becomes airy and homogeneous, after which it needs to be laid out in a sandy base, and the cake in the state of semi-ready is again put in the oven for 30 minutes. If you are cooking with convection on, the temperature for baking is set to 165 degrees. Serve pumpkin pie from Julia Vysotsky recommended with sour cream in the form of heat.
Closed cake in a slow cooker
With the help of a slow cooker, wonderful baking is also obtained, although not all hostesses like to work with sand dough. Therefore, for multicookers, the recipes of the closed pies are much more attractive: for pumpkin, this is also important. And to diversify its taste, you can add sour apples from the summer cottage and crushed walnuts, soaked in rum, to the filling.
- Chicken eggs - 4 pcs.
- Sugar - 300 g
- Flour - 250 g
- Baking powder - 1 tsp.
- Salt - Pinch
- Pumpkin - 250 g
- Unsweetened apples - 2 pcs.
- Walnuts - 50 g
- Rum - 2 tbsp. l
- From the pumpkin pulp is selected, which is cut and placed in a saucepan and stewed with a small amount of water until completely softened. The same can be done in the oven, if you put the pieces of pumpkin in foil, add 3 tablespoons there. water, tightly twist the edges of the foil, and bake the pumpkin at 170 degrees for 30-40 minutes. While it is brought to the desired state, the apples are peeled and cut into cubes, after which they are laid aside. Walnuts are minced or chopped with a knife, filled with rum and infused for 15-20 minutes.
- The dough has the recipe of classic sponge cake: the eggs are whipped with salt using a whisk, a little sugar is added to them. Then the mixer is replaced by a whisk, and flour and baking powder are introduced into the dough. It can be replaced by ½ tsp. soda, extinguished with vinegar. When the mass becomes homogeneous, beating stops. The softened pumpkin is squeezed out on a metal colander, and the semi-dry residue of the pulp is laid in the dough together with apple slices. The latter are poured into it rum-soaked nuts, pre-dried with a paper towel.
- The bowl of the multicooker is greased with butter, before the dough is poured into it. The cake will be prepared on the "Baking" mode with a 60 min timer. If you want to get a golden glossy crust, beat 1-2 egg yolks in a separate container and process the surface of the cake with them for 5 minutes. before its intended readiness. And remove the cake from the slow cooker should be cooled.
Pumpkin pie is an ideal solution for an autumn evening: with apples and nuts, it will enjoy sweet tooths, especially if you add some dried apricots inside, and those who would like to warm up in dank, wet weather will appreciate the spicy liquor. Choose a pumpkin pie recipe that you like and indulge yourself and your loved ones. Enjoy your meal!