Baking puff pastry is airy and tender. Such a dough is considered universal, since it can be used to make both sweet puffs and bagels, as well as meat pies. Today we look at how to bake a delicious puff pastry chicken pie.
Tips from experienced chefs
How to make puff pastry? What ingredients can be added to the filling? These and many other questions are set by the hostesses, deciding to pamper their household with chicken pie. Experienced cooks tell us their secrets:
- if you do not have time to prepare the dough, you can buy ready-made layers in any grocery store;
- when using ready-made dough, it must first be thawed in natural conditions;
- dough, cooked by yourself, it is necessary to give a little time to "relax";
- chicken meat should be separated from the skin and bones, which can then be used to prepare the sauce for the cake;
- since chicken meat is rather dry, it must be marinated for at least half an hour;
- You can add prunes, dried apricots, mushrooms, cabbage, potatoes to some chicken pie, some hostesses put even raisins in the stuffing;
- on top of the cake should be smeared with egg yolk, and to make it shine, add a little salt;
- chicken meat should be pre-fry or boil;
- from above on the cake before baking it is necessary to make cuts, so that all the excess moisture comes out of it during the cooking process.
How to make puff pastry cake quickly?
If you decide to make puff pastry yourself, then, first of all, you need to decide on the method of its preparation. As you know, this dough can be kneaded with and without yeast. We offer you a quick recipe for puff yeast free dough.
- 2.5 Art. wheat flour;
- 1 tbsp. filtered water;
- ¼ tsp salt;
- ½ tsp citric acid;
- 150 g vegetable oil.
- First of all, dissolve citric acid in water and put in the freezer for 2-3 minutes.
- Sift the flour, it is better to do it 2-3 times - so the dough will be more airy.
- 2 tbsp. Pour flour into a container with high sides and make a small depression in the middle. Gently pour in lemon water into the hole, and then knead the dough.
- Sprinkle the table lightly with flour and lay out our dough. Knead thoroughly until the dough stops sticking to the hands, but do not hammer. We roll it into a large ball, wrap with cling film and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Half a cup of flour is mixed with vegetable oil and also put in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- We take out a ball of dough and roll it into a layer about 2-3 mm thick.
- Roll out a layer of dough evenly grease with vegetable oil mixed with flour, and roll it into a roll. Put in the refrigerator for half an hour, and after this time the dough can be used for baking.
Chicken Puff Yeast Pie
Now we will make an aromatic and delicious chicken pie with the addition of potatoes. For the basis we take the finished yeast dough. You can also bake such a pie by preparing the dough according to the previous recipe. For the filling, you can take the whole chicken or filet.
- 0.5 kg puff yeast dough;
- 0.5 kg of chicken meat;
- 3-4 potatoes;
- onion head;
- 1 chicken egg;
- a mixture of peppers and salt;
- 2 tbsp. l sifted flour;
- vegetable oil.
- First we take the dough out of the fridge and defrost it at room temperature.
- In the meantime, let's do the preparation of the filling. Wash the chicken, dry it, and then coarsely chop.
- Fry chicken in vegetable oil until cooked.
- Vegetables are peeled and finely chopped: potatoes - slices, and onions - rings.
- Put the vegetables in a bowl and season with a mixture of peppers and salt. Optionally, you can add spices for chicken.
- Sprinkle the table with flour and spread the dough. It must be cut into two parts so that one of them is smaller than the other.
- The cooled chicken is separated from the bones and removed from the skin, cut into small pieces.
- We roll a larger piece of dough into the reservoir and spread it on a baking sheet, having previously made it with baking paper.
- Now lay out the onions with potatoes, evenly distributing the filling on the dough.
- Put chicken on top.
- Roll out a small piece of dough and cover it with a pie. We cut off the excess dough in shape, by the way, it is easy to make a pie set of them, for example, a pigtail. Now you need to pinch the edges of the cake and smear it with beaten egg yolk.
- The oven is heated to 190-200 degrees and put the cake in it. After 15-20 minutes, reduce the temperature of the oven to 170-180 degrees. Bake the chicken pie for about 25 minutes.
Gourmet pastries with mushroom notes
No less tasty will be a pie, if you add mushrooms and sour cream to the filling. For baking, it is better to take fresh mushrooms that you need to fry.
- 250-300 g puff pastry;
- 1 chicken egg;
- large onion head;
- 400 g chicken meat;
- 250 g of mushrooms (preferably champignons);
- 150 g sour cream;
- vegetable oil;
- a mixture of peppers and salt.
- First of all, boil chicken meat. It can also be fried. Ready meat is cooled and separated from the bone and skin.
- Mushrooms are washed, dried and cut into cubes.
- Onions cleaned and chopped.
- Fry the mushrooms and onions in vegetable oil until cooked.
- Chicken meat cut and lay out in a separate container. Add mushrooms and onions, sour cream, season with salt and a mixture of peppers, mix. The pie filling is ready.
- Divide the dough into two parts, as in the previous recipe. Most of the roll in the reservoir and spread on a baking sheet. Do not forget to cover it with baking paper.
- Spread the dough in a uniform layer.
- The remaining piece of dough is rolled out and covered with the cake, fastening its edges.
- Grease chicken pie with egg yolk and put in the oven. We bake at a temperature mark of 180 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. The cake should be golden in color.
There are many options for making delicious chicken pie. So, if you add cheese and greens to the stuffing, you will get kotopita - Greek chicken pie with puff pastry. Cook with pleasure and bon appetit!