Treats from childhood are rarely forgotten - they carry the same note of nostalgia that a person keeps in his heart forever. Delicious grandmothers pies and shanezhki, and maybe even wafer rolls with condensed milk? Today, such baking is extremely popular, it is still created in minutes. How to prepare the dough for waffle tubes in an electric waffle iron - modern or old? How many variations of it exist, and what should be considered?
General recommendations for kneading dough for waffles
If you turn to the oldest recipe for this pastry, which was used in the Soviet time on the old electric waffles, then there were only 4 components: eggs, margarine, sugar and flour. The latter provided the dough with density, sugar was responsible for its taste, eggs for the viscosity of the consistency, and margarine for its friability. Subsequently, it was replaced with butter, since comparing the old and the current margarine is unwise.
The most important thing is that the dough for waffles in an old waffle iron should resemble a pancake in its consistency: it is the same liquid, which hardly holds the shape. If it is made too thick, it will be difficult to bake a thin waffle, and if you add an insufficient amount of flour, the “canvas” will tear during the process of folding it. For this reason, the old recipe allows you to modify it depending on the volume of the egg mass: for selected eggs it may be necessary to increase the flour, or reduce the proportion of butter. Modern recipes allow you to vary the consistency due to side ingredients.
The traditional filling of such waffles - protein cream, condensed milk, chocolate paste. If they are baked for a non-sweet filling, the sugar is removed from the components, and they can be baked in meat or vegetable broth, with the addition of grated cheese and greens. For such fillings, sometimes the dough is made more liquid than for traditional waffles in order to get a softer “cloth” in which the main course will be wrapped.
Waffle Tube Dough: A Recipe from Childhood
About 18–20 medium-sized tubes are obtained from a specified number of ingredients.
- Chicken eggs 2 cat. - 5 pieces.
- Butter 82,5% - 200 g
- Sugar - 180 g
- Wheat flour - 175 g
- Vanillin - 1/4 tsp.
- To make the dough more tender, 3-4 hours before the start of kneading, remove the eggs and butter from the refrigerator, and let them warm up. Some recipes recommend oil heating, but professionals do not advise to do this: you just need to let it melt yourself.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, mix with vanilla and whisk with a whisk for 2-3 minutes to make the foam homogeneous and voluminous.
- Gradually add sugar to the stream and continue to beat, so as not to lose the resulting softness.
- Cut the butter into several small pieces, add to the egg-sugar mixture, and then beat with a mixer at medium speed. This should be done until all ingredients are fully mixed.
- The sifted flour is added to the dough last, also in portions (do not immediately discard the entire volume!). Mixing is done using the same mixer, but at low speed.
- If the dough on the consistency like pancake, you can do baking. If not, add flour or warm boiled water (depending on what is missing).
In the old waffle iron such tubes are baked for 20-30 seconds, removed with a wooden spatula. While they are still hot, they need to be minimized: they very quickly set. Before serving, they are filled with cream, for which it is recommended to use a pastry syringe.
Cooking tips for waffle tubing
As already mentioned, the above recipe is far from the only one: baking can reduce the fat content or make it more crumbly and tender, besides, its unsweetened variations are also allowed. However, the key to success is not only the consistency of the dough, but also the technology of baking.
- At the bottom of a hot electric waffle iron, no more than 1/4 of the scoop should be poured, i.e. so that the dough took only 1 / 3-1 / 2 surface. With subsequent pressure by the upper part of the device, it will be distributed so that the baked "canvas" will be quite large. If you use the scoop uncomfortable, take a tablespoon - then the amount of dough for 1 tube will be 2-3 tablespoons.
As for the various variations of ingredients, there are several of the most successful combinations in addition to the original.
- Milk (or boiled water) and starch added to the main components; they make the dough more tender. In this case, take a little less butter and eggs, or a little more flour, since the consistency should not change much. The approximate ratio is flour, butter and sugar 1: 1: 1 (if you count in grams). Water for every 100 g of these components need 70 ml, eggs - 3 pcs., Starch - 20-25 g.
- If you need to bake tubes without eggs, their composition will be as follows: vegetable oil (50 ml), water (180 ml), flour (170 g), sugar (60 g), baking powder. Such waffles are considered to be lean and even dietary, since their caloric content is greatly reduced.
- If you follow the figure, you can dilute the wheat flour rice or ground oatmeal. The dough itself welcomes spices - cinnamon, turmeric. White sugar can be replaced with brown or liquid honey (about 1 tablespoon instead of 70 grams of sugar).
Check the readiness of the waffles can be through the opening of the waffle iron, but this should not be done before 15-20 seconds. after lowering the top. During this period of time, the dough will have time to grab, so that the product is not deformed.